Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are Sport Bikes Sustainable? (Read 186 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Are Sport Bikes Sustainable?
12/18/18 at 14:51:00

Winter is here, and the mind can wander a bit.......and I got to pondering if the manufacture and sales of sport bikes can continue?

The young riders are crashing and being injured or killed on a regular basis, and there may not be an endless supply of Hooligans and/or stunters.

Will the riders stop buying them - will the insurance become too expensive for your riders to own motorcycles (for those who actually buy the motorcycle and actually insure it) - with the government allow 16 year old males to purchase a 150HP sport bike?
Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Are Sport Bikes Sustainable?
Reply #1 - 12/18/18 at 21:42:06

According to my Loonie Nephew ,

I was trying to tell him that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow .    

When he explained to me that its more Fun to ride a fast bike fast !

So , I explained to him : No , its more fun to keep your driving license so you can ride.

Then next suggested he get a fast dual-sport and keep the "Fast" part off the street.    He is Bike-less at the moment and the world may be a Safer place because of it !  Grin

I guess you might call him a : GSX-R 750  survivor . ???   Roll Eyes  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 12/19/18 at 01:46:14

Those bikes will always be wanted/needed. Even if the USA were to ban them, or restrict them to certain riders, there are plenty of emergent economies who will take them up. Young people will want to push limits, sadly for motorcycling some will die, but that goes with the territory.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 12/19/18 at 07:42:53

So what do we have a problem with, a bike that looks like a race replica or a bike with a stupid amount of horsepower? For example:

The Ninja 400 is a "sport bike". It has clip-on bars, rear sets, a full fairing, even a racing series/class. At 43 hp it's a great performance value too.

The Harley FXDR 114 119 ft-lbs of torque, yet can't make a 30 degree bank angle without dragging parts on the ground. Clearly not a sport bike, but also not a great handling bike - so it really can't safely handle its power.

Are we more concerned about how a bike looks, or what it can or can not do?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/19/18 at 09:25:45

I guess maybe the bike is not the problem, as much as what riders are doing with them. Most buyers don't go to the "track" events where the bikes are in the element they are built for - and they don't live in an area with mountains and curves - the public roads become the playground for this kind of riding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8L59brPQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKydosJYnAs

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 12/19/18 at 10:49:02

Wow .

That makes OldFeller look perfectly Sane .   Reminds me of my nephew Jed  , and who can do the most stupiddangerous thing with-out loosing body parts ???  

Funny video , [color=#ff0000]but who would spend 20 years and a bunch of $$$ to raise an offspring to waste their live/body parts like that .    [/color]  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 12/19/18 at 10:57:29

I've read about life in the USA before Social Drugs were Outlawed.   Apparently some Senators Child got caught up in a Drug habit that ended in our current Drug Laws .  

Some time , we are bound to have a power to weight restriction on bikes and sports  cars .  Huh

So , did the two-cycle bikes get outlawed for the same reason under the disguise of air quality .    I know the 50:1 mixed machine don't really smoke no more than rich-running 4 strokes.   But they sure ran strong for their sizes !

Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #7 - 12/19/18 at 11:02:33

Those two videos are what the sportbike riders are like around here. No tracks other than dragstrips on this side of the state so they ride through downtown like that. Rev limiters are a badge of status apparently too. It is common for them to sit at a red light with the throttle open hitting the rev limiter. Especially for the smaller bikes. And they wonder why cops seem to focus on sportbikes in this area...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 12/19/18 at 19:47:51

Undoutably, these are all "cool" riders.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 12/20/18 at 08:12:56

I just watched the videos...the thought that came to my mind...

Stupid Hurts.

Regarding Dave's original post/question...people have the right to be stupid. Yeah, there are a lot of things in this world that I think could use regulation, but just because I think some things would be better regulated, that doesn't mean that they should be. There are thousands of things that small groups of people would like to restrict to a wide group of people - and it's just wrong.

Let stupid be stupid, and we can enjoy the videos (please don't chime in with "but other people are being hurt...." because my statement was intentionally flippant).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #10 - 12/20/18 at 15:06:11

That second video:

Travels 3 times faster than any other vehicle on the road - uses turn signal for lane changes!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/20/18 at 18:51:32

I don't think sport bikes are headed for total extinction but the outlook doesn't seem bright for them.  The insurance is getting expensive because the things are so easily totaled out with the high cost of parts and all the plastic fairings that shatter so easily.  The number of younger riders is declining and most sport bike enthusiast are younger.  Locally, I see very few sport bikes these days.  In popularity the Harleys rule and then the metric cruisers.  Most younger guys I know prefer the adventure touring bikes because they consider the whole adventure riding thing to be cool, trendy and sophisticated.  Me, I just like to ride motorcycles, don't care what kind as long as I can get comfortable on it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 12/20/18 at 19:26:27

My observations mirror engineer's. Most of the bikes I encounter when out on the road in my locale are cruisers, mostly Harleys. Sportbikes are a (very) distant second, Third is a mix of other types.

A lot of my local riding takes me in the vicinity of two very large university campuses and that's where I see most of the  sport bikes, The riders are almost always wearing backpacks to carry their stuff.

I've never witnessed any of the hooliganism like in the videos though.

Two summers ago I rode down to Pittsburgh International raceway for the MotoAmerica road races. I expected the motorcycle parking area to be filled with sportbikes. Nope. There were quite a few, but of the many hundreds of bikes there, the majority were cruisers, big touring bikes and adventure bikes. I've never seen so many big ADV bikes in one place before. I'm pretty sure that my S40 was the only one in the lot. Possibly the smallest bike there too Smiley

Another personal anecdote for what it's worth. When I bought my Sportster a few years ago from a local dealership's used inventory, the salesman told me that the  young fellow that traded it in had traded it in on a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 300. Wanted a bike to commute back and forth to work, and wasn't happy with the Sportster in that role.

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #13 - 12/21/18 at 02:50:30

They wont die the same way fast cars wont die but I do think they will lose their mass appeal (especially when young men finally realize that girls don't care about your bike). Pretty much all of these accidents involved someone showing off. Stupidly isn't the fault of the bike, young blood will always drip on the road.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/21/18 at 04:02:36

One of the things that makes me question the "sustainability" of the sport bike - is if enough of them are being purchased to keep the manufacturer building them.  They were a hot seller for the last 20 years - I just don't know if that will continue.  As oldNslow stated, the ADV touring market seems to be strong, the "scrambler" models seem to be hot sellers for Ducati/Triumph/BMW....and BMW has about 5 models of their RNINET and Moto/Guzzi has a similar number of models of their V7 - they seem to think those affordable mid size bikes will be the hot sellers in the coming years.

Currently it is nearly impossible to buy a mid sized sport touring bike in the US.....they all seem to be 1,000cc and up.  Several companies have built and marketed smaller sport touring bikes - but after a few years they stop as their just isn't a market for them.  Honda built the PC800 from 1988-1998 and it was a great bike - but sold in limited numbers.  Honda built the NT650V since 1988 and NT700V came later and it sold well in the UK - the NT700V was only sold for 2 years in the US - it didn't sell well and US dealers had a hard time getting rid of them.  BMW sold the F800GT from 2013 until 2018, and it has been discontinued for 2019.  Mysmaller body size and advancing years make a mid size sport touring bike the perfect choice for a bike - and yet the manufacturers can't sell enough of them to justify building them (In the next year I am going to start looking for a nice used BMW F800GT to be my bike for single riding on long trips - 90HP and 470 pound is a good size for me).

I wonder how long companies like Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki will be able to keep designing and building sport bikes in 300cc/400cc/500cc/650cc/750cc/1,000cc sizes (and also make the same bike in a naked version) - will there be a big enough market to sustain 30 different versions of sport/naked bikes?  The US is a very small market compared to the sales worldwide, and we have a very small influence on what the big 4 manufacturers build and sell.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 05:28:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Are Sport Bikes Sustainable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.