Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barnett Clutch Install Problem (Read 66 times)
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Barnett Clutch Install Problem
12/15/18 at 00:16:51

I just installed a Barnett Clutch pack after my old one burned up and after buttoning everything up and putting on the cover it seems like the pushrod is too short. When pushing the lever it goes all the way up and I barely feel it make contact which is way past the two line mark on the case. The rod itself is the longest one so I am at a loss as to what might be the problem. I used new friction plates, steel plates and springs, everything else is stock within the clutch system. The cover is bolted on finger tight in a few places even though the picture shows empty holes.

image sharing sites

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Barnett Clutch Install Problem
Reply #1 - 12/15/18 at 01:09:29

Put it in gear and try to roll it.
Without pulling the clutch

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/15/18 at 04:18:43

Was the outer fiber clutch plate "different" from the others?

The outer plate has a larger ID, and a steel wave washer fits inside.

It sounds to me like you have assembled something wrong, which is making the stack too thick.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #3 - 12/15/18 at 12:36:33

Rolling it in gear feels hard to push and neutral seems noticeably more difficult but not too hard. I will check the plates. I remember the wave washer and that is placed where it was with the stock plates. I see the manual states there is a No.1 friction disc and No.2 friction discs so that might be where I went wrong. Since I'm going to pull everything off again I may as well ask if there is a easy way to bend the main lock washer when putting it back on. I can flatten it easily enough but bending it back is a fight with pliers while trying not to gouge anything.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #4 - 12/15/18 at 14:53:33

SOLVED: Dave you were right. Not only was the #1 friction plate in the wrong spot my wave washer and the wave washer seat were split one in the front and one in the back. Thanks for the help. Wow my clutch must have been bad since I bought it 2 years ago just slowly wearing out because the difference in power is immense. For a while I was feeling like the guys with little engines on a bicycle.

For future assurance is there anyway to gauge improper clutch adjustment within the case not the cable. Whoever had my bike before tampered with the clutch because the hub lock washer had been flattened. So no matter how well the cable was adjusted inside the case it was slowly wearing away.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/16/18 at 04:02:52

WUNGUN:

Good job!  Messing up this clutch on your first time is a very common mistake.......it had me confused the first time I took one apart.

Now that you know what a proper clutch feels like, you will likely have no problems knowing when you have a clutch problem reappear.  It is possible that you will not have an issue for many, many, many more miles, as these clutches don't seem to wear quickly.

Treat your clutch with some kindness.....even the Barnett plates need some care.  Release the throttle between shifts, and don't apply full throttle until the clutch lever is fully released and the clutch pack is engaged (there just isn't enough clutch in this bike to allow shifting with the throttle kept in the WOT position as you pull in the clutch).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:05:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Barnett Clutch Install Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.