Send Topic Print
Exaust options (Read 180 times)
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exaust options
12/05/18 at 04:03:12

I'm still building my 96 and I need to figure out how to change the position of muffler. I'm going to make some rear sets located at the stock rear peg position. Also need figure out what style to u!se, keeping in mind that I'm going for a big bore kit next year and louder is better in my book

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exaust options
Reply #1 - 12/05/18 at 06:40:33

The stock header and Dyna muffler work with the RYCA rear sets.....not sure about what you are going to make.

The EMGO shorty reverse cone muffler also works - but they are horribly loud and obnoxiously as delivered.  Early on folks were doing a "crumb cup" modification to make them acceptable, and now RYCA offers an insert that is much more socially acceptable and has adjustments for the amount of noise they make. (Not everyone shares your belief that "louder the better").

https://www.2wheel.com/emgo-shorty-reverse-cone-muffler.html?sku=56-97645&cam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgyren9rHg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #2 - 12/06/18 at 13:39:25

https://delkevic.com/motorcycles/suzuki/2005-models/s40-boulevard-1986-2016/
i use thier 21" slash cut, its not to loud till you get on it and i think it sounds great.  its real deep at a idle, like feel it in your chest deep.
thats with the baffles installed, they are removable.
plug and play fit, i had to do 0 tweeking of anything.

IP Logged
Phil41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/06/18 at 18:41:53

I have not personally tried this, but check out YouTube for the Lollypop mod. Easy diy to provide your straight pipes with some back pressure and seems to improve performance with some toning down the exhaust note.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/07/18 at 03:52:45

Check out Cone Engineering, among other components they build stainless mufflers with length, width, shape, styles, assorted intake/exit sizes types of baffles to satisfy your needs, and for $130-170.  They do beautiful work.  I have run mine for over 10 years and it works freaking great

IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/09/18 at 03:30:37

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I have some homework to do lol. I haven't started on the rear sets yet but I want to get the exaust first and work around that. I think? This will be my time building rear sets. But just looking at it, it is kind of crowded in that area.    My first thought was drag pipes, like my old sporty and tryumph 750 bonnie, as long as u got 90 degs of bend You're good to go. But that's twins not singles, not to sure about back pressure requirements for this motor. I haven't seen any posts with the words "drag pipes" in it at all. I thought there must be a reason for that.right? Thanks again for all your help gentlemen. I'm going to go work on the 👙 fairing I'm making, have a great day.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/09/18 at 03:51:49

A drag pipe will decrease performance and make carb tuning difficult in the low and mid range.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/09/18 at 04:17:44

There are plenty of threads about drag pipes in this forum - learn to use the "search" button at the top of this page.

The Savage engine does not do well with an straight through or drag pipe, as the exhaust creates pressure pulses that make the engine run poorly.  You need an exhaust system that breaks up the pressure pulses - it doesn't need to be a restriction that causes pressure to build....it needs to cancel the pressure waves.

I don't have time this morning - but later I will link you to a Youtube video that explains the drag pipe and why the pressure waves make the bike lose power and is difficult to tune.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/09/18 at 07:09:48

The exhaust can be routed with a tubing bender.
Pegs have to be welded.
Work around the pegs, that Need to Be in an exact spot.

The pipe topic is pretty well covered.
Videos are available.
The intake side is something to study, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/09/18 at 08:05:05

The engine is in a very minor state of tune, the low compression, mild cam, intake and exhaust all work together to provide a very reliable and sexy lawn mower engine.  Changing the muffler to something a bit less restrictive will help engine performance a small amount - changing the muffler to something that is has no restriction will make things worse.

The Harley Dyna mufflers can be found pretty cheap and work well on the Savage, a small hole drilled in the baffle can make them a bit louder if you want (don't knock the baffle out completely as it will be too loud and create a straight through design like a drag pipe).  If you can see through the muffler from one end to the other - you most likely don't want it on your Savage.

IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/16/18 at 22:40:45

After some research and excellent advise from everyone, I figured it out that the simplest thing to do is keep it simple. Good looking out just an old guy, especially on the order of operations. What were u hinting at on the intake side? Any thing specific I'm trying to cover all the bases but I the sometimers, sometimes. Lol thanks again everyone!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/16/18 at 23:47:10

I figured it out that the simplest thing to do is keep it simple.

Nobody will ever be able to argue against that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 18:12:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exaust options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.