Send Topic Print
Antifog (Read 111 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Antifog
12/09/18 at 22:57:06

What's safe and effective to use on face shields?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Antifog
Reply #1 - 12/10/18 at 03:33:30

I don't know about Anti-Fog for a face shield......except owning a helmet with the deflector that keeps your nose breath off the inside of the shield.

Both of my helmets have "pin lock" face shields, that have an inner shield that snaps inside the regular shield.  This seems to be the preferred method for keeping your face shield free of fog.

For the outside I spent a lot of money on a can of Plexus, and it works well.  I am currently trying a can of Lemon Pledge...it works almost as well and is far cheaper.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 12/10/18 at 06:05:45

As Dave said, the pinlock shields are the most proven.
If you don't mind the way it feels, the Respro Foggy Mask does a great job in a full face helmet.  http://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask.  They're about 30 bucks on Cramazon or Fleabay.
Most of the rub on or spray on products don't really work as advertised.  But one that has actually worked OK for me is Cat Crap (yeah, that's the name). https://ekusa.com/product/cat-crap/
They may have it your local WallyWorld or REI.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/10/18 at 06:13:56

I remember using Cat Crap on my scuba mask.......and when I don't have that I just spit on my mask and rubbed it around (then rinsed).

On my helmets, the face shield has a notch that opens the shield about 1/8" - and when things start to fog I just open the shield to the first notch.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 12/10/18 at 07:24:23

I'm in the same boat with Dave.  Have a 'breather box' that velcros into my helmet that goes up over the nose to keep hot breath from going up versus down and out. Soft neoprene and comfortable.

I use Plexus and Pledge as well. Can't really say that I can tell a difference between the two.

Agree as well in the 1/8" shield notch. If I am at a stoplight or going really slow sometimes I tip it open to clear things up if needed.  On the S40 the winds hits me where the 1/8" notch rattles bad at speeds. On the Ninja I can ride with it open 1/8" at speeds and it's pretty quiet and smooth.

IMG_20181110_103000.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 12/10/18 at 08:35:52

Neat ideas, and I should have included that I wear glasses.
I'm surviving by opening the shield, but sometimes I'm kinda busy when it starts fogging up. I've never used anything before and thought there might be a simple, if not total solution, then something that just helps some.
I looked at
Rain_Ex, but it's got alcohol in it. I dunno about that.

Lemon Pledge sounds like an affordable idea.

I don't think I have room for anything else inside with me. When I drop the sunshield it touches my nose until I adjust the helmet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 12/10/18 at 08:51:15

I have some scuba stuff too, but never tried it on my MC shield.  If you have a scuba shop close by, maybe stop in there and get some stuff to try. Most of it is made to smear around with your fingers and rise with water before diving down, so I am not sure if you would do the same with your shield off and rinse over the sink?  Also you have to be careful with some of the scuba cleaners as some may have mild abrasives IIRC since many scuba masks are real glass and can sustain it, but with more masks being poly carbonates, etc. I suspect most of them nowadays are plastic friendly though it's worth making sure.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/10/18 at 08:52:50

Jog:

Does your helmet include a nose piece inside - it goes over your nose and under the visor?  Most modern helmets have some sort of a removable insert that can be used in cold weather and taken out when you want more airflow inside the helmet.  Both my cheaper Scorpion and more expensive Sheoi helmet have them - they help a lot.

Here is sort of what the inserts look like.

https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/helmet+parts/ls2_replacement+breath...

Would you consider using a snorkel to breath through? Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/10/18 at 10:49:02

Would you consider using a snorkel to breath through? Huh

That stupid thing made cussing drivers out too hard and they really don't take you seriously while you're ranting and raving with a plastic tube flopping around.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 12/10/18 at 14:48:26

Do we need another fundraiser to get this for JOG?

45d70a15d9b3c3f01ed1c2669a1059ae.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 12/10/18 at 16:59:48

I've really enjoyed the drill, guys, THANK you all and
Eegore for sure.
That's a cool looking setup right there, and I would wear it,but I Know I'd always be reaching for my light saber.

IP Logged
Brant
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/16/19 at 22:32:24

A trick I used to use on paintball masks back in the day was a combination of water and baby shampoo in a spray bottle then wiped clean. I guess it's a scuba diver trick? It worked well for me better than any anti fog spray I ever bought. You need about 1 part baby shampoo (I used Johnson & Johnson) to 10 parts water. Make sure the baby shampoo mixes in the water and doesn't just sink to the bottom.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/16/19 at 22:42:19

Thank you, I can deal with that.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/16/19 at 23:03:14

I thought spitting on the lens and rubbing it down was the old scuba diver trick.

It works by the way.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 02/17/19 at 08:25:30

Just don't do it after eating Oreos... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...