Camshaft Comparison (Read 642 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Camshaft Comparison
Reply #15 - 12/04/18 at 21:56:51

Here is the graph of the DR 650 intake vs stock.

Stock_vs_DR650_Intake_Plot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 12/04/18 at 21:57:48

Here is the graph of the DR650 exhaust vs stock.

Stock_vs_DR650_Exhaust_Plot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 12/04/18 at 21:58:38

Here is the stage 3 timing data.

Stage_3_Timing.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 12/04/18 at 21:59:18

Here is the stage 3 valve lift data.

Stage_3_Curve.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 12/04/18 at 22:00:51

Here is the graph of the stage 3 intake vs stock intake.

Stock_vs_Stage_3_Intake_Plot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 12/04/18 at 22:02:02

Here is the graph of the stage 3 exhaust vs stock exhaust.

Stock_vs_Stage_3_Exhaust_Plot_Plot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 12/04/18 at 22:05:42

I think this is a lot of useful info.  As I mentioned earlier. I look forward to your comments.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 12/05/18 at 10:13:13

Nice work , now we just need corresponding dyno reports to over lay the H/P & torque output onto your graph.
Wouldn't be nice if it was dohc and so cam timing was adjustable for each cam, then we could make H/P on the cheap.
I had a SR500 that had adjustable cam timing. Add a cam , great , being able to adjust/degree it , priceless ! That bike had a downright scary midrange ! But you also need the ability to change ignition timing as well .

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 12/05/18 at 20:21:52

I remember doing a similar graph for my last SR 500. Most people used v blocks to support the cam , I used the head it took hours to get it written down and even longer to make the graph. It was a real task. One thing is for sure , we have a registered,card carrying gear head on the loose here at SS ! Keep up the good work DBM , some here are learning from this and  I am recalling all the steps it takes to know what you are doing when building an engine , it's been 25+ years since I have done all this stuff. Building my engine was all from experience of the 20+ motorcycle engines I have built , every trick I know went into this engine but none of the math. Did some math on the intake but it only made small differences after a lot of time experimenting and money spent. Was only able to improve performance at a small rpm range and move that range up & down.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 12/06/18 at 04:32:45

I agree, I am very appreciative of the desire to share with the rest of us the knowledge and skills in determining all of the details that have been shared on these threads.
THANK YOU !

IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 12/24/18 at 15:54:30

Hi..fantastic info and would like to add my findings with my 2014 S40, recently fitted a stock DR cam (which I drilled the oil holes in quite easily) and set the timing as per the specs for a DR measured at .040" lift which is io 6 BTDC / ic 49 ABDC / eo 46 BBDC / ec 12 ATDC. I do have the slightly taller gearing with the Kawasaki drive sprocket, different exhaust, 96mm wiseco 9.1/1 piston, altered porting but the original CV carby  & ..the bike ran OK & I did about 300km like this but felt a bit flat so advanced the cam about 9 deg by advancing on the crank sprocket then retarding the cam sprocket (I think thats right) so the io 15 BTDC & eo 55 BBDC...It felt better, pulls strongly from low down to about 4500rpm but then falls off & can't get it to rev much past 5... but as is still great fun to ride
Am experimenting with a mikuni round slide & different filters also with exhaust systems but so far can't seem get the motor to rev.
A motorcycle mechanic friend suggested that the flat face of the "D"shaped exhaust port is used by some manufacturers to improve low down torque but inhibits the fine tuning of the ex/system for the benefit of the incoming fuel charge as the returning pulse is stopped when it hits this wall. Doesn't matter if theres no overlap like the stock cam but restricts your options.
Also it would be great to somehow get the benefits of some squish effect in this motor, the distance between the piston top & the head is big & a piston with more meat above the gudgeon could be worth a try, flat topped would be a good start to take advantage of squish. Ive seen a wiseco Yamaha 660 but can't yet find all the needed info.. anyhow the search for improvement goes on.... & the Christmas lunch awaits...so All the best for the season to you all

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 12/24/18 at 22:14:11

It seems illogical that the pressure wave created at the valve opening and passing through the D shaped opening in the exhaust passage  would be stopped on it's return. It 's more likely that the DR cam is of poor design for use in the Savage/S-40 motor.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 12/25/18 at 04:12:27

There is a drastic difference in the exhaust ports in DR vs LS.
THE DR’s exhaust ports are wide open just like the intake.

IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/25/18 at 14:48:36

Ive tried exhaust combos with both the stock & DR cam & yes I agree the DR cam  isn't a perfect cam but the options are bit limited especially being a single cam. I dont have any measured data but the DR cam seems to give my bike a bit more grunt...which is good. We have a company down here who have been making cams for 2 generations who I contacted & they said to send them all the info & what I want from the motor.. so I might do that next year & get their opinion

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 12/26/18 at 00:11:40

You would be better of obtaining a stage 3 cam from LANCER.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 10:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Camshaft Comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.