Air Filter Flow Test (Read 489 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Air Filter Flow Test
Reply #30 - 12/02/18 at 20:30:38

Thanks for chiming in JOG.  Can you share with us the details on why you were dissatisfied with the K&N?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 12/02/18 at 22:19:03

Didn't fit the airbox.
Once I modified the box, okay.
It didn't create any
Seat of the Pants dynamometer
horsepower.
When it was time to clean it,
Unless you have a replacement filter
You're parked until it's ready.

I see it as a religious ritual in search of a moment,, and it's not worth it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #32 - 12/02/18 at 22:58:22

DragBikeMike wrote on 12/01/18 at 21:10:09:
snip

Yes, the main issue I had with K & N was that in face of incontrovertible evidence, I mean you can see side by side it's oversized, nevertheless all they did was keep handing off to another person who asked for more details and never responded again, happened three times.

When I brought this up way back when, it seems it's not a one off, some people said like you it fit fine, yet there were others who said they had to build up the airbox with filler to make it fit but they didn't have a problem with that.

However I'd be interested to know if you have tested the correct filter foam with the correct oil for these filters. Because I have an OEM filter case gutted, but it seems that to do it right will need a bit of welding and I'd be more enthusiastic about it if it was tested and proved to be better.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 12/03/18 at 12:23:13

JOG, I love the "Religious Ritual" comment.  I agree that washing and re-oiling filters is pretty much a pain.  I'm always searching for that last little pit of go-power so I guess you could say I'm the religious type.  The stock filter sure is easy to R&R.

Eau de sauvage, while I was doing additional tests on the airbox over the weekend, I had the opportunity to peer down the throat of the airbox (with the snorkel removed) at the fitup on the left side of the filter.  I noted there is a hook fit along that left side, and the square edge of the filter element has to slip under that hook.  When I misaligned the K&N with the hook, such that the edge of the filter butted against the edge of the hook rather than slip under it, the filter fit exactly like the photos you attached to your post.  It is significantly more difficult to slip the K&N into place than it is to slip the stock filter into place.  The stock filter has a taper on the left edge that, looks to me, like its intended to allow the user to install the element at an angle, slip the edge under the hook fit, and then pivot the filter forward and into place.  The K&N doesn't incorporate the tapered edge, which makes it more difficult to slip under the hook.

Regardless of the reason for your fitup problem, if you weren't satisfied with that filter, K&N should have taken care of you.  Did they refund your money, send you another element, do anything to make you happy, or just blow you off?

I don't understand your question regarding "correct filter foam with correct oil".  I tested the stock filter (pleated fabric/paper, no oil specified), the K&N (pleated gauze with K&N specified oil), and a homebrew assembly (stock frame with a polyester filler material oiled with canola oil).  For the homebrew assembly, I made a wood frame to simulate the stock steel frame.  I didn't test any sort of foam filter.

If you are interested in improved performance, and don't want to mess around with cleaning and oiling filters, you can realize significant improvements in flow with some simple (and free) modifications to your airbox.  There's a lot more flow available with the stock element.  Take a look at the latest entries to my post "Airbox Performance Tests", posted yesterday.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 01/08/19 at 14:29:12

Lancer was kind enough to loan me a Uni Filter pod to test.  It’s a foam pod that clamps directly to the inlet of the carburetor.  There is an outer sock intended to be used in heavy dust conditions.

Uni_Filter_in_Package.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 01/08/19 at 14:30:09

The filter must be oiled in order for it to work properly.  Uni even includes a warning that serious engine damage will occur if the filter is not oiled.

Oil_Warning.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 01/08/19 at 14:30:52

So I rounded up some official Uni Filter Oil.  It cost about 13 bucks and should last a very long time.

Uni_Oil.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 01/08/19 at 14:31:38

Because the configuration of the pod filter is different, I fabricated a special fitting to mount the pod to the flow bench.  To give the pod a fair test, I tried to make sure that the flow path into the bench was as large and smooth as possible.  To do this, I bored the ID of the fitting to eliminate any bottle-necks.  I also turned down the OD to accept the Uni 2.5” socket.

Test_Fitting_1.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 01/08/19 at 14:32:29

The adapter fitting and filter fit the test bench perfectly.

Test_with_Sock_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 01/08/19 at 14:36:03

I started by doing a cross check with the stock filter element to verify that the bench would provide consistent results.  With the 51.85mm orifice, the stock element flowed 45% @ 1" H2O, exactly the same as the original test at the beginning of December.  The bench looks like its working fine.

Stock_Filter_Cross_Check.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 01/08/19 at 14:38:45

I performed tests with the foam element dry, and then oiled it in accordance with the instructions for the Uni Filter oil.

Test results with the filter dry, 51.85mm orifice @ 1” H2O

Outer sock installed            30%
Outer sock removed            32%

Test results with the filter oiled, 51.85mm orifice @ 1” H2O

Outer sock installed            30%
Outer sock removed            32%

Test results with the filter dry, 42.38mm orifice @ 3/4” H2O

Outer sock installed            38%
Outer sock removed            40%

Test results with the filter oiled, 42.38mm orifice @ 3/4” H2O

Outer sock installed            38%
Outer sock removed            40%

Its evident that the Uni oil does not restrict flow.  It’s a messy job to oil up the filter element but is well worth the effort.  The oil doesn’t affect the flow and is required to allow the filter to perform as intended.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 01/08/19 at 14:40:08

So now we have a sixth configuration to compare to the five I previously tested.  I assumed we all would elect to run the Uni Filter without the sock since these aren’t dirt bikes.  Here’s how things shook out with the Uni in the mix configured for street use in accordance with instructions and warnings.

Test with 51.85mm orifice @ 1” H2O

Stock:                  45%
K&N:                          70%
Poly-fil dry:            45%
Poly-fil canola oil:      36%
Poly-fil K&N oil:            38%
Uni Filter:                    32%

Test with 42.38mm orifice @ ¾” H2O

Stock:                  58%
K&N:                          98%
Poly-fil dry:            57%
Poly-fil canola oil:      47%
Poly-fil K&N oil:            50%
Uni Filter:                    40%

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 01/08/19 at 14:46:50

This data paints a poor picture of the Uni.  It looks to be very restrictive.  But there is another item to consider.  The Uni doesn’t utilize an air box.  The Uni replaces the air box.  So, I tried to test the Uni at 5” H2O like I did on my air box tests.  The pod doesn’t restrict flow enough to achieve 5” H2O on my little bench.  The best I could pull was 4-1/4” H2O.  That rivals the K&N filter in a Max Modified air box.  If you want to know more about the air box mods and tests, see my post titled "Air Box Performance Tests", last entry dated 12/2/18.  Here’s how things shook out at 4-1/4” H2O.

Oiled Uni Filter (no sock) @ 4-1/4” H2O, 51.84mm orifice:       64%

K&N filter in Max Modified air box @ 4-1/4” H2O:            62%

Looks like the Uni pod filter gets the job done.  Since it essentially eliminates the air box it becomes the best flowing setup tested so far.  Of course, there are other considerations that come into the picture.  The Uni will be loud, and there’s the issue of intake tuning, air box volume, weather protection, stuff like that.  But if you are simply looking for high flow and easy maintenance, the Uni looks pretty good.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #43 - 01/09/19 at 07:43:44

This was not part of the test but an additional advantage to the Uni is the price, almost 1/3 the cost of a K&N and they are easier to install in the confined space we have to deal with.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 01/09/19 at 09:20:15

The Uni was my filter of choice for my Cafe' build....although I used a version slightly larger than the one you tested.  It is definitely louder than the stock setup - but so is my muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 07:13:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Filter Flow Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.