Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone had the brake rotor warp on a Savage? (Read 109 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Has anyone had the brake rotor warp on a Savage?
11/17/18 at 19:19:07

It feels like my rotor has warped. I have not taken it off to check yet but it just seems weird that it would warp with my riding here in Texas which does not involve much (hardly any) hard braking. Just curious about your experiences.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Has anyone had the brake rotor warp on a Savag
Reply #1 - 11/17/18 at 19:31:16

Hard braking
Splash
Warp
You don't have to pull it.
Get the front off the ground
Spin the wheel
Look at where the rotor passes through the brake pads

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/18/18 at 03:08:15

Instead of warped, it might have some corrosion or deposit of some sort that has made the friction inconsistent around the rotor.

If you try Jog's inspection and you don't see any warp, then give the rotor a good scrubbing with a degreaser and a Scotchbright pad or steel wool......followed up with brake cleaner rinse .  I would remove the pads first, then give them a scrubbing and a light sanding to remove the glaze.  Lay sandpaper on a flat surface and lightly move the pads across the sandpaper until the shine is gone.  Don't put the pads back in until you have completed the rotor cleaning.

Don't use Purple Power or Simple Green....get a motorcycle degreaser like Bike Bright or S100.  As another member on this forum discovered, the harsh degreaser can ruin the clear coat and corrode aluminum (read the label and most of those popular degreasers are not made for use on aluminum).

When you put it back together be a bit easy for the first few stops, the pads will have to get the friction surface worn in again.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 11/18/18 at 15:27:48

Or you might look for play in the front wheel bearing.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 11/18/18 at 21:06:05

That second Harley I had came with a warped Rotor.   I thought it was some sort of "anti-lock brake system" at first till I got the front wheel off the ground and saw it spin.
I used a 6 lb. hammer to hold the part I didn't want to move still while I corrected the warped part with a 1 lb. hammer.   It ended well . Smiley
I put almost 50,000 miles on it after that with no problem.    I suspected the PO didn't down shift but rode the front brake on those long down-hill rides ???  Huh     I know people who do their cars the same way …  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/19/18 at 13:48:43

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to have a good look at it.  

I sure hope it isn't a wheel bearing.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #6 - 11/19/18 at 17:07:58

My front brake was ''pulsing'', got out the micromiter and could find only .0015'' difference no matter how many times I checked. Replaced the rotor and WOW works like it should again. One and a half thousanths sure felt like a lot more thru the lever.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/20/18 at 10:14:42

Well, I found that I on my own cannot safely get the bike on the wooden lift I made for it. Usually one of my sons is around and either one just lifts the rear end of the bike and I slide the wood under the motor. Then I put a bag of sand on the seat to keep the rear end down and the front tire off the ground.

Anyway, I could not elevate the bike so I just took the caliper off, took out the pads, cleaned the caliper, put in previously used halfway worn pads, scrubbed the disk with steel wool. Yes, scrub a bit, roll the bike forward, scrub a bit, roll the bike forward, etc., etc. It does not pulse as bad now, but still pulses. When I can get one of my sons to help me I will take everything off and take the disk to O'reillys to have it measured.

How do you guys lift your bikes? I know MM just man handles his bike, but what about us smaller guys?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/20/18 at 10:19:06

A soft rope and a come along.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/20/18 at 10:26:43

springman wrote on 11/20/18 at 10:14:42:
How do you guys lift your bikes? I know MM just man handles his bike, but what about us smaller guys?

Motorcycle floor jack - I inherited it from a friend that passed away.

The home made bike lift might also be an easier alternative - in case you friends are in good health.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1100379341

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/20/18 at 11:00:11

To lift the front end, 2 jack stands, 1 under each foot peg mount.
Put one under the right peg, grab the handlebars and twist it like you're gonna throw a long horn to the ground, only don't just lift the left side a bit and kick the other jack stand under the left peg.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 11/20/18 at 12:10:27

springman wrote on 11/20/18 at 10:14:42:

I've posted this a few times. Material list are two hooks, two straps, 12" section of 2x4 and a floor jack. If you need to lift the front, tie-down the rear and the jack will lift the front.

Poor_Mans_Stand_1_001.jpg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 11/20/18 at 12:10:55

Here is another look. Jack goes under the frame.

Poor_Mans_Stand_2_001.jpg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 11/20/18 at 12:58:39

I do what Gary does but I use one of https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-SKY2725-Adjustable/dp/B01JARCE0M/... with a set of tie downs and a floor jack.

I got mine form Harbor Freight for $60.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:07:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone had the brake rotor warp on a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.