Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When motivation becomes toxic..... (Read 102 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: When motivation becomes toxic.....
Reply #15 - 10/20/18 at 08:15:40

LostArtist wrote on 10/19/18 at 11:55:58:
MShipley wrote on 10/19/18 at 11:01:02:
I was on a mission trip in Nicaragua, two of the young interpreters were sitting across from me on a bus. I asked if they had ever been to America and they said no. I asked them if they would like to some day? The two began talking (in Spanish) and after a while they told me No, they were not interested in visiting America. Of course I asked why not? There response was interesting. They said, (In America you live to work, in Nicaragua we work to live).

I was invited to speak recently to a Honors High School class recently on Nepal since I have done work there with the locals whom are very poor.
The class was on How to improve the state of poverty in other counties. It was interesting because in every presentation I heard the solution was $$$ and taking our vision of work and prosperity to these other countries.

I am not sure how the students took it when I told them they have a basic flaw in their presumptions.  I asked them why they think that these people want to live like we do in America? Why did they think our life was better? No one had an answer. I would submit that after all the traveling and cultures I have worked with it is those that have little that are the happiest. Most of our misery is created by trying to maintain our lifestyles.

I came back from a trip once and a young man in my office was moaning about how his car had a flat and he didn't have the money to fix it and ohh what a hard life he had......I looked at him and told him if he sold his car he would not have the problem.

I do not believe humans are better off because of how much stuff we have. we become slaves to it.

There was a time in my life I also had EVERYTHING. One day I sold it all. The house, boat, camper, motorcycles everything. It really will free your soul.

Best thing ever posted here!!  

people in China and India etc.... didn't know they were poor until we told them they were.

Edit:
as a side note, I often struggle because I"m simply just not motivated by money, now I'm not stupid, I know I need money to pay bills and live, but I don't have a vision of success that is determined by things and wealth and "lifestyle" . I have a vision of a lifestyle I want, but it's not opulent or even middle class to be honest, I just want to make a living off of my art, which I kinda am, so I'm mostly content, but sometimes, as is life, repair bills, automobile costs, etc..  can be a stress but I get over it and do the best I can, but it really makes it hard to relate to a lot of people in our society, I'm not chasing the same thing as most, sure, money makes everything easier, but idk, it's hard to really describe how disconnected from this society I feel sometimes

What is the art you create?
Can you show us a example?

My wife is a artist too.
She has been selling her works for over 20 years now.

Does your work completely support you, are do you have to get assistance of some kind?

I would really like to see what it is you create  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/20/18 at 09:45:24

Ray,  just to save space I'm not quoting all that again

no, my "art" doesn't support me, I actually struggle getting art done, I work a normal job, but it's as a graphic artist so in that way, my skill as an artist and technical know how about graphics programs, web stuff etc...  does support me, so my art knowledge is supporting me.

I've never gotten unemployment or any kind of welfare, food stamps or anything from anyone, not the government either.  and I've only worked retail or general labor (not that there's anything wrong with those) while I was in school, once I got out I've actually mostly worked as a graphic artist

here's some paintings: https://photos.app.goo.gl/p1RHgoVO29BjSinT2

here's some drawings (not all my best) : https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPrGRTHd2XM4Aa2H7

and I dont' think I'm anywhere close to actually demanding money for any of that scribble yet, just not very developed artsy wise....

I've found it really hard to actually get into an artistic process kind of life when you live alone and work full time and life happens with limited resources, and yeah, all of that sounds like an excuse, and maybe I'm just not good enough, but I'm working on it, still...  forever....   I  did take advantage of a free "coaching" session with a friend so I'm more motivated and drawing more than ever so things are happening where I am being more productive than I have been in years

here's my website where I have some of my photography and some graphic design .

http://c-artstudios.com/

thanks for the interest, feels good to share

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 10/20/18 at 09:54:00

DUDE......
Those are very good.

I will get back to you, however, quickly, your interest in owls.....
Where is that rooted?

I have a great thing to share with you about owls  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/20/18 at 10:02:05

raydawg wrote on 10/20/18 at 09:54:00:
DUDE......
Those are very good.

I will get back to you, however, quickly, your interest in owls.....
Where is that rooted?

I have a great thing to share with you about owls  Smiley

honestly, it started here:

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 10/20/18 at 11:52:43

That is such a keeper.
Its all about perspective.
Some see adversity as a obstacle, and quickly get defensive.....
Others see it as opportunity, and use it to overcome, growing so much more over their "lot"
When they share their "life experiences" with others, in need, it is icing on the cake!  Grin

I still will share more about owls, just busy at the moment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 07:43:38

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › When motivation becomes toxic.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.