Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Cleaning from the Top?? (Read 50 times)
WarriorPoet287
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb Cleaning from the Top??
10/04/18 at 08:47:56

New member, new owner of a 2003 Savage. I am planning to do the white spacer mod from the top without taking the whole carburetor off for right now. My (possibly silly) question is this: is it OK to spray some carb cleaner or even Seafoam down into the carb from the top? I'm not having any issues really but my thought was why not shoot some cleaner down in there if I have the top off anyway... If I do that would it be best to let it sit a while and then drain the carb? Or is this just a terrible idea to begin with?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Carb Cleaning from the Top??
Reply #1 - 10/04/18 at 11:44:58

Doing the white spacer mod from the top, definitely doable.

Spraying carb cleaner all in there, I would tend to say no to that, but maybe OK to WD40 or something not as caustic as carb cleaner. You don't want carb cleaner sitting in there against anything non-metal as it can eat at it, such as the tip of the float needle, plastic float parts, etc, AND most importantly the slide diaphragm.

be VERY careful not to mar the side of the slide, and when you put the slide back in make sure to clean the carb as well as the slide VERY well with a clean cloth so there is no oily residue or fingerprints that will attract oil and dirt resulting in a sticky slide.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
WarriorPoet287
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/04/18 at 11:50:15

Good advice, thanks!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 10/04/18 at 12:50:41

When you are removing the screws for the white spacer mod, make sure you are careful not to strip them.  They are JIS screws, not American phillips.  What that means is a standard phillips driver will not seat all the way down exactly flush in the screw head and this gives the phillips a tendency to ride a bit high in the screw head and jump out and strip the screw head on super-tight screws. You should be ok, just be aware of this and give adequate down pressure onto the screw head when breaking them loose.

This goes for the external carb screws as well as those int he slide holding the spacer in. Some of us have replaced all of the screws with allen head screws for this reason.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
WarriorPoet287
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/04/18 at 13:00:56

I do plan to order an impact driver based on other advice given here. Seems like a good thing to have around anyway. Still need to track down #4 steel washers. Lowes did not have them, haven't tried Home Depot yet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/04/18 at 13:04:07

JIS tips
Not #2 Phillips

But be sure to support the lip of the carb before you start banging away.
You're gonna need a long, Skinny one to get the tiny screw down in the hole.
Pay attention to which side is up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WarriorPoet287
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/04/18 at 13:16:08

Hmmm... Amazon has a decent set of 5 JIS screwdrivers (including a nice long #2) for $26. I'm thinking it might be worth getting even just to work on the Savage. Added it to my list...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 10/04/18 at 13:28:26

I ordered one of those similar JIS sets. Hated to spend the money but I have used them.

Try ACE Hardware (if you have one) for the washers. They usually have more of the oddities and special things that the other stored don't.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/04/18 at 14:01:53

The hardest to reach is the smallest.
Jeweler type screwdriver tip.
My hand held impact came with the perfect tip..
I don't think they're available now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 09:05:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Cleaning from the Top??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.