starter motor (Read 203 times)
sparkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

starter motor
09/16/18 at 04:25:22

Hi
I have been having problems recently with the bike not starting.
Firstly I thought it was the battery, so purchased a new one but still the same problem luckily I can use this on another project.
Every time you press the starter button it just clicks so I removed the starter completed put the battery back on and tested the starting circuit. All works fine when the start button is pressed the voltage flows to the starter cable. So has anyone had the same problem ? and if it is the starter then is it possible that it is the brushes that have gone or starter motor itself.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Ian

My_Bike.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: starter motor
Reply #1 - 09/16/18 at 18:44:50

Is the circuit complete? You've tested power to the  starter, but have you checked the ground?  the starter is grounded through the motor case, and returns to the battery ground by the cable that runs from the case bolt in the area just above and in from the oil level site glass, to the ground post of the battery. I'd  check and clean those connections, before assuming the starter is bad.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #2 - 09/16/18 at 19:43:55

I second what Batman has said. I'll also add that if there have been splices or decay the wire may read fine with a volt meter but wiggle or burn loose when it counts.

Lastly, you know how you can squeeze a few extra starts out of a bum starter on a car by whacking it with a hammer? Don't do that!

Still looking...
  IP Logged
sparkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/17/18 at 11:41:21

All the cables are fine but I have noticed that when I pulled the starter off and stripped it down it had a fair amount of oil inside o don't know whether the rubber o ring has been leaking and letting some oil into the starter. So going to give it a clean up and see what happens.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 09/19/18 at 21:00:04

Oil shouldn't be found inside the starter motor ,the bearings should be sealed ,and the internals dry . The O-ring,  seals the outside of the starter body to the case opening ,keeping oil in engine ,it doesn't keep oil out of the starter which is a sealed unit.

IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #5 - 09/26/18 at 14:07:34

Just got the same issue yesterday  Angry Had to push start Savage to get back home.  :'( Bike started right up before and the battery was just purchased this summer, hope it's not failed battery.

When pressing the starter button, I can clearly hear and see decomp solenoid working (tank and seat are off) and starter relay clicks too but that's it. The engine doesn't turn over.

• 12.56V are on the starter +lead. Measured between battery post and the starter motor lead
  • Took the starter motor off the bike and was able to rotate shaft by hand
  • reached out inside where the starter was and was able to turn the cog by hand clockwise. When rotating CCW it made twining noise
  • removed the cap on the left side and was able to rotate engine using breaker bar and 17mm socket
  • Put battery on charging and made sure it's at least 13V

Tonight will check if there is
  • a good ground between engine and a starter? I read that there is a ground cable running from the engine case to the battery somewhere around oil level window area. Couldn't find pictures but will take a closer look.
  • jump the bike via car battery and see if engine turns over
  • jump the starter directly via car battery see if it works  
  • load test battery.

If nothing above works, open up starter and see if brushes need to be replaced? Undecided

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/26/18 at 14:42:52

the question is when the starter engages, does the starter stall?
It could be the decomp adjustment.
If it's too loose, compression won't be released and will stall the starter.
If it's too tight, it will take more turns to start.
If it starts on the 1st turn, it may be too loose.  And occasionally may stall if the engine stops near the compression stroke.
Easy way to check is to put it in 4th and bump it forward (not reverse) to get it past the compression stroke.  Then give it a whirl.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 09/26/18 at 18:37:59

The ground wire (black/heavy) runs from the battery ground post on the left side of the bike to a casing bolt , on the right side ,slightly above an to the rear of the oil sight glass , this bolt holds the center case together , not the clutch cover so sets back in about two inches .there may be two wires connected ,one large,  one small,  both are grounds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/26/18 at 18:45:08

That's his way of saying
Make sure it is clean.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #9 - 10/04/18 at 15:02:02

Thank you all for the pointers!

Found the issue! Well, it's sort of compound of the two components. Engine ground cable and starter switch.

After taking off starter and plugging it directly to the battery, starter was working as if nothing happened. Opened it up anyways just to check if brushes are on the last leg or bearing is dry. Nothing of sorts, seems that it has even been replaced recently.

Put it all back together. Tried starting the bike and it's the same - no humming or any signs of the starter even trying to turn the engine over, decomp solenoid and starter relay were making click sound like before.

Checked engine ground cable connector from the battery to the casing bolt and it was slightly rusty so after cleaning it up, starter started engaging every other push of a button. For those who are looking for the location, I am attaching pictures.

I've also noticed that the starter would only turn over depending on how I pressed the button so I thought I would open up the switch. Sure enough, it was pretty filthy so cleaned it all up.

Now it cranks every.single.time  Cool

« Last Edit: 10/05/18 at 11:17:38 by Transp0rt3r »  

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 10/04/18 at 20:20:18

Nice ,good work!

IP Logged
Pages: 1