Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bicycle/Motorcycle camper?? (Read 147 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bicycle/Motorcycle camper??
10/03/18 at 08:13:53

So, I have had tentative success at getting my bike started and running-for those of you who are in the know on all of my savage's quirks.

I just ordered a new clutch push rod as I realized I am missing one-which would explain why I had no pressure at the clutch lever.

Anyway, I digress. I recently discovered via youtube the wonderful world of bicycle campers. Has anyone tried this on the Savage?

What mods would you guys suggest to make it roadworthy?

I know a lot of ppl would not consider the savage to be a comfortable long distance ride but I've done it a few times and so long as I stick to back roads at cruising speeds it is not wholly unpleasant. That being said, it would be a whole lot more fun if I could pull off and relax for a few hours out on the open road.

I have seen a few that I think could easily be towed(there was a post here saying a savage could pull a 140lb trailer)  and know enough welders to be able to dream something up for the hitch but has anyone done this before or am i testing uncharted waters? What are potential pitfalls I should look out for? How much will the additional weight plus a small passenger put on my engine, tires?

I'm a buck ten so it's had a fairly easy run with me.

All feedback welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

jjthejet Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bicycle/Motorcycle camper??
Reply #1 - 10/03/18 at 10:56:26

Years ago a guy had a hitch.
Not sure how it was used or worked out.
My concern isn't the ability to pull something, but stopping it.
And a
Tow behind your bicycle trailer
May not have wheels designed for highway use.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 10/03/18 at 11:23:54

"May not have wheels designed for highway use."

I agree.  These components would easily last 1000s of miles being pulled by human power at mostly slow speeds as in like 10-15 mph.   I would be concerned about how it handles at higher speeds (does it bounce around/flip over??) and if it could take the abuse of say hitting a pothole at 45-60 mph without blowing a tire, a wheel or simply blowing into pieces!!

That said, reputable bicycle manufacturers usually build great products.  It may work, but you going way beyond the intended use and design limits.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 10/03/18 at 11:27:26

And I'll add this.  No matter how careful you are, you still have a 30 hp machine between your legs.  It will be really easy to exceed the limits of that type of equipment.  Try loading 30 lbs of gear into the same trailer and user your 2 hp (human power) legs to pull that stuff around a see how fast you go.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/03/18 at 12:14:06

Post a link to your camper

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 10/03/18 at 12:22:23

I agree with what has been said. Safety is my main concern, especially stopping and turning.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #6 - 10/03/18 at 13:10:05

No way would I pull a bicycle camper with any motorcycle. Nothing on that trailer, tires, wheels, bearings, frame, are built for highway speeds. And when you start looking at something built for the purpose the weight goes up. As has been stated, the problem is stopping. The savage isn't very heavy. Trust me, you do not want to be on that machine when the trailer starts pushing it around. I drove a tow truck for many years. It was always...fun...when pulling something at or over the trucks limits.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/04/18 at 14:31:19

I'd be interested in seeing a link to what type of camper you have in mind.  

If it is a "bicycle" camper it will not do well with speed or wind as they are not rated, or even tested at high speed.  High speed for a bicycle accessories typically starts at 25mph and goes up, but nowhere near the 50+ range that a motorcycle will take it.

It would be nice to know what a bicycle camper is capable of but in a safe environment.  I'd tow it at 55mph behind a truck on a closed road for 600 miles and see if it lasts.  

As for a motorcycle trailer the ones I am familiar with are too heavy for me to feel comfortable with on such a light motorcycle.  I'd talk to a dealer, look over the specs and get more info regarding stopping distance etc.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 10/04/18 at 20:22:44

You might try looking up single wheel motorcycle trailers .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/05/18 at 03:55:35

I have no idea who makes it but a couple from our CMA chapter had a motorcycle trailer with a built-in tent that folded out and set up while bike & trailer were still hooked up and parked.  Seemed to be a pretty nice and convenient camper system.
This one had 2 wheels.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 10/05/18 at 08:03:55

I see the true motorcycle tent trailers on craigslist regularly. Get something that is made for the purpose in this case. Anything less is a safety risk.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/05/18 at 12:03:25

could you post a few links?

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 10/05/18 at 21:15:27

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 14:35:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bicycle/Motorcycle camper??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.