Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RPM's bottom out when going in to 1st gear (Read 345 times)
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RPM's bottom out when going in to 1st gear
07/23/17 at 23:58:01

This might be an easy one for your guys who are more experienced. I'm still new to the whole turning of the wrench thing.

Anyway, I've been working an 1987 LS650 for far too long. Here is what I've got so far.

1. The bike starts up fine and idles perfectly.

2. When I drop it into 1st gear the RPM's drop to almost nothing and the bike eventually shuts down.

3. Carb. Tried 2 and 3 washers on the needle. 52.5 and 150 jet. It runs very rich. 1 turn on the adjustor screw at the moment. Actually, I've tried all the jets I've got in different combinations and I still get the same 1st gear low RPM problem. Cone filter.

4. Exhaust - 18" muffler with a 13" baffle. Stock header.

5. Swapped out the spark plug, just in case.

6. Battery is about a year old and fully charged as of last week.

7. Adjusted the valves with a new feeler gauge from Harbor Freight.

8. I've got a 2nd carb. It may need a gasket. It's next on my To-Do list.

9. I got ahold of a 36mm Mikuni round slide carb. Thought I might try for the upgrade with the UFO, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I've missed. All I have is the carb at the moment.

10. Thought I might have some bad fuel. Ran to the gas station and got some fresh 91 octain.

11. Swapped out the O Ring on the Intake Manifold.

12. Petcock. Bought the Raptor 660. Tested it yesterday. Flows like a river. Bought a 2nd petcock just in case. I haven't installed it yet.

12. Replaced the metal gasket on the header pipe.

13. Heat wrap on the header. I've rechecked the entire exhaust. Can't find any leaks.

I haven't looked at the kickstand switch, but I've read on here that it can be a problem, although I don't think the symptoms are the same as mine.

That's it. That's my brain dump. I just want to ride. Is that so wrong?!?!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: RPM's bottom out when going in to 1st gear
Reply #1 - 07/24/17 at 00:49:28

Does it try to walk when you put it in gear?
What if you give it gas?
Have you adjusted the idle speed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/24/17 at 09:17:07

Yes, it does roll forward when in gear.

Two weeks ago I was able to drive it around the block. It was backfiring badly. I had flames shooting out the exhaust. It wouldn't go over 20 mph.

When it is in gear, while I have the clutch pulled in, I try to give it gas and it, I don't know how to describe it, gasping and wheezing? Like it's not getting enough air or fuel, or both. I can't tell which.

I have repeatedly checked the floats. The seem fine, but maybe I need to take a closer look. I checked the float needle and little filter. There is no obstructions of any kind.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/24/17 at 09:27:40

Those kind of symptoms can result from a battery that has low voltage, as the ignition circuit can't reliably make a spark.

That may not be your problem - but it is worth checking the battery voltage with the engine off, and then running to see if the charging circuit is working.

Also your cone filter could be a problem.....is it the kind that obstructs the oval opening at the top of the carb inlet?  If you block that opening the slide can't operate properly, and the air jets can't get air.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/24/17 at 11:03:56

Dave 's advice is along the same thoughts I had.I'm wondering why you've jetted the carb 52.5/150  the stock jetting for the big carb( 86-87)being 47.5/155. I think the 52.5 pilot jet may be to big ,I'd try a 50 .I also think Dave may be right about the cone filter,you could try removal (for a test ) .you need to look at the clutch adjustment it shouldn't be grabbing.If it were the kickstand switch the bike would die immediately ,It wouldn't slow and then die.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 07/24/17 at 13:55:14

does it run well without the air filter?

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/25/17 at 08:59:54

I ran it without the cone filter. No change.

I didn't have a 50 Pilot Jet, so I used the 47.5. I checked the floats again and made some small adjustments. It made absolutely no difference. I still get the exact same symptoms.

I did notice the headlight dims by almost 50% when I kick it into 1st gear. It gets a bit brighter, but thats when the RPM's bottom out. It's still gasping when I turn the throttle.

I'm going to borrow a volt meter from work and test the battery. I bought the battery in November. The ignition coil is brand new but that doesn't always mean it's good. The spark plug is new and I gapped it according to Clymers.

At this point I'm thinking it's NOT the carb. It's electrical.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/25/17 at 09:13:29

Did you remove All of the filters parts? The problems arise from the rubber mount covering passages.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/25/17 at 09:16:12

If it's trying to walk you need to adjust the clutch.

Your idea of Idling Great might not be what it likes, it needs to be around 1100 rpm.

IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/17 at 10:40:15

The filter is one piece. It doesn't come apart. I removed the clamp and filter entirely.

It doesn't walk in 1st gear.

As far as idle, I understand it's supposed to be less like a Harley and more like a sewing machine. The idle screw is the one part on the carb I really haven't messed with.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/25/17 at 11:23:22

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.
I'd stand it up, play with the gas, and drop it in gear just as I goosed it, if you can get it to rev up in neutral.
The clutch safety must be okay, and the sidestand is maybe not.. If that thing is messing up it Could, possibly, be killing it without just shutting it off like a switch, have you tried putting it up before dropping in gear?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 07/25/17 at 19:21:04

The bike won't run very well without a filter either,I just thought you might be able to get it in gear without stalling.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #12 - 07/25/17 at 22:26:58

You might try adjusting the clutch (less free play). And also raising the idle speed a little. It isn't supposed to idle like a Harley but faster at 1100 rpm. You could also adjust the idle mixture screw. It shouldn't be rocket science.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #13 - 07/26/17 at 00:48:23

The idle speeds, that people have reported here on the forum, vary from 1100-1500. I run mine at around 1300-1400 warm. At 1100 the engine will stumble if I have to chop the throttle.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/27/17 at 08:42:21

Ok. I've tested the battery. At Rest, it measures 12 volts. With the motor running and in 1st gear, it measures 11.33 volts. Withing seconds of shutting down the bike it immediately goes back to 12 volts.

Sidestand Switch - It looks like the previous owner already took care of that one. It was already looped back on the wiring harness.

I guess that leaves the Clutch Switch which I will look at tonight.

I may need to purchase some new controls because the hand brake lever doesn't activate the brake light. If there is a problem with the clutch switch it may need to be replaced.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 07:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RPM's bottom out when going in to 1st gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.