Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just returned to riding (Read 136 times)
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Just returned to riding
08/05/18 at 18:28:10

Been a few years since I've been riding. Health and life kept me away. A few years back I inherited a '88 savage. It has 9k miles on it. Cancer kept dad off it and it sat in the garage.  I popped in a new battery and changed the oil. It started right up. I've got a few hundred miles on it now. Have changed the oil twice, just to get good oil circulating throughout. Replaced the petcock on principal. Bike is running good.

So...Where should I go from here? What are the priority concerns?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Just returned to riding
Reply #1 - 08/05/18 at 19:24:53

If your riding on the original/or old tires because they still have tread ,that could be dangerous, .new rubber be a great investment in both handling and your safety. I'd also change the brake fluid for the same reason .
         You should keep the idle speed above 1000rpm ,and not idle it on the side stand ,either can damage the cam journals over time, from lack of pressur(idle speed)/oil starvation( the right side cam journal (even with proper idle speed) .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #2 - 08/05/18 at 19:29:00

Thanks. New rubber is ordered. Along with net tubes. And I did replace the brake fluid with new DOT4.

Oh! And I have never been one to leave the bike idle. Oil flows best when the pump is cooking!

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/06/18 at 18:06:01

"oil flows best when the pump is cooking"  No oil flows best when it reaches normal operating temperature, On a cold startup the thickness of your oil is 5w and although it flows more easily it only provides a thin layer of oil between moving parts ,reving the engine at this point can cause more wear. The oil doesn't reach 40w until the temp it's rated at (212F) and our bikes run between 270-300F when fully warmed,  so should be driven gently for the first few miles until fully warmed . 90% of wear occurs at startup.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #4 - 08/06/18 at 18:49:06

I understand. However, letting the bike sit and idle on the side stand until warm is pointless at best. And as you point out possibly harmful. No need to wait for it to come up to full operating temperature.

I guess what I really need to know is what quirks do I need worry about on this bike? What common issues need to be addressed now. What possible problems need to be watched for.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/06/18 at 19:28:19

Hello GOF, always good to have a new Savage owner join the group.  The Rubber Side down section starts with Important Topics, within that there is a thread titled "Things every Savage newb should know".  It will answer your question about things to be concerned about with this bike.  Since you have already changed out the petcock the cam chain tensioner will be the next vulnerable part.  At 9,000 miles you should have some time remaining until it is a problem but you might want to check it in the next few thousand miles.   Rotella seems to be the oil of choice here for the ZDDP content and compatibility with the clutch.  Good luck.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 08/06/18 at 21:56:01

GOF, the point I was trying to make is not to increase rpm when idling the bike at cold startup ,reving at this time could be harmful .,and yes you don't idle the bike until it fully warm ,just long enough so the bike will idle with the choke off .  at that point the bike will run but should not see WOT and shift points should be earlier as the oil temp /flow is lagging. The bike should NEVER be allowed to idle on the sidestand if at all possible .

things that will damage your bike and eat your wallet

Setting valve clearance to tight( burn or drop a valve)
 cam chain tensioner failing (internal motor damage)
    front drive pulley nut loose (eats splines on the pulley and worse the drive shaft)
      drive belt to tight (belt can snap)-( possible damage to bearings in rear pulley/ trans drive shaft
   leaving the ignition key on ,and not starting the bike (will burn up the ignition module)

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #7 - 08/07/18 at 00:23:55

I invariably begin riding (or driving) immediately after startup, albeit gently with limited revs and little load. Idling extend the warm-up time and hence the time on choke/fuel enrichener. Richer fuel mixture does not burn completely, and the excess will dilute the oil.

However, considering the amount of different ways people go about their cold engines - from 20 minutes of idling to instant full throttle - and the lack of engine failures indicated that it isn't all that important what you do with your cold engine as long as you stay away from the extremes. But warming through idling is always going to waste fuel.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 08/07/18 at 01:19:08

I'm assuming you have changed the oil filter so you don't have to worry about putting it in back to front. I tend to push the choke three quarters in from start up and ride to the nearest intersection where I have to stop and then push all the way in. If you don't have to stop within a mil or two push the choke in asap.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #9 - 08/07/18 at 06:27:23

Thanks guys. I see I have a few things to check out. Is there a recommended mileage schedule for adjusting valves and inspecting the cam chain and adjuster?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 08/07/18 at 08:23:11

Valve clearance is CHECKED, every 4000 miles . (new bikes have softer adjustment screws ,but the tips harden over time from striking the valve stems , after a few thousand miles, clearance don't change fast ,and may not need to be adjusted , only checked)
      When to check the cam chain tensioner depends a lot  on how the bike is driven , short trips will cycle the temperature of the motor more often,  and increase cam chain tensioner extension. (I would think to check ,around 15,000 miles ,sooner if you hear any unusual noise or feel any unusual vibrations.)

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #11 - 08/09/18 at 15:29:41

Looks like the next thing on my todo list is the head plug. I assume that is why the oil is running down the fins.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/11/18 at 08:41:22

I think your assumption is correct. I don't think  we have never seen a blown head gasket.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/11/18 at 11:54:16

Head gaskets are made of 3 layers steel and don’t blow out.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #14 - 08/11/18 at 15:34:08

Thanks guys. Will be ordering a plug soon.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 03:57:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just returned to riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.