Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement Carb for the 1987 Mikuni bs40ss (Read 108 times)
Savage Terry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacement Carb for the 1987 Mikuni bs40ss
08/01/18 at 18:41:20

Afternoon all, I recently purchased this bike (1987 Suzuki Savage) from a friend for a WHOOPING $1.00.   The bike is in fair condition with only 16,000 miles.  My buddy got the bike on a Craigslist listing and it hadn't run in a long time.  So, he not being a mechanic, filled the tank, fired it up, and took off riding.   For a mile or so until the rust from the tank reached the carb.  So, do I spend the time and money to rebuild the old Mikuni  Carb, or is there a new carb that will work.  I don't mind spending the $$$ for a new one.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Replacement Carb for the 1987 Mikuni bs40ss
Reply #1 - 08/01/18 at 19:44:40

Congratulations on a good buy, hard to go wrong for a dollar.  If it were mine I would clean the carb and do the "washer mod" while it was off and replace the Phillips style screws with Allen head screws.  There is a market place section on the forum and Lancer can provide a performance carb or jets for the stock carb.

At 16,000 miles the cam chain tensioner is about to fall out and do some damage unless a previous owner replaced the cam chain or installed a modified tensioner.  Verslagen on this forum can provide modified tensioners that can't fall out and take up the slack in older chains.  Look in the tech section for details about carb mods and the cam chain tensioner.  And keep posting your questions, there are several people on this forum who can provide you with good information.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/04/18 at 20:31:41

Is the tank truly rusty? Or are the jets clogged from old gas? It might be good to clean/replace the tank if there is a lot of rust,  before thinking about dealing with the carb ,being a cleaned stock carb or new carb will suffer the same problem . the stock carb usually needs cleaning more than rebuilding and cleaning costs little compared to an new carb. If your still have the stock petcock rather than a Raptor that may also be part of the problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Savage Terry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/05/18 at 14:12:04

Thanks Batman, and Engineer for the advice.  I have already cleaned the fuel tank with rust remover.  I also have a brand new pep-thingy to install.  The carb has been removed and I documented the sizes of the jets.  I also let the carb housing to soak in carb cleaner, rinsed with water, then blew dry.  I need to get a hold of Lancer and talk with him about carb mods and replacing the jets.  I have a lot of years of playing mechanic and have rebuilt many carbs, but, this is the first CV carb that I have worked on.  Having a forum like this with so many helpful people is priceless.   I have already made a donation, and again, thanks for the help.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 08/05/18 at 20:02:41

Why replace the jets? Just drop them in the carb cleaner also. Read up on jetting and the spacer mod in the Tech Section.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 08/06/18 at 05:28:14

I wouldn't do any mods or jetting until you have it running properly. Once it runs and functions as it is, you can confirm IF it needs any modifications.

IP Logged
Savage Terry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/06/18 at 17:07:36

Good advice guys, but jets arn't that expensive and I would like to start out fresh.  The old jets are nasty and have scares from screwdrivers.  I have emailed Lancer for a jet package.

IP Logged
Savage Terry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/11/18 at 16:33:41

Batman, I took your advice and bought some carb cleaner and soaked the jets, rinsed them off, and blew them all out.  Now all I need is a new o-ring for the seat and a new float bowl gasket. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 15:19:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement Carb for the 1987 Mikuni bs40ss

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.