Send Topic Print
bobber bars/risers (Read 164 times)
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
bobber bars/risers
07/29/18 at 07:44:50

I sold my LS650 chopper c/w extended forks and kept my Blue Collar Bobbers' kitted bobber with standard bars/risers.

I really miss the wide bars / no risers feel.

The Chopper even with the raked forks just felt better (front end handling) particularly coping with the crappy road surfaces we encounter in the UK.

Just wondered if anyone had anything positive or negative - regarding getting rid of my risers and fitting straight and wider bars -

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: bobber bars/risers
Reply #1 - 07/29/18 at 09:05:34

If you don't use risers, and have bars with too much angle or "pull back", the handlebars will hit the tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/30/18 at 09:25:09

I run drag bars with no risers, Dave is correct they will hit the tank if you aren't careful.  If you lay the bike down they will dent the tank.

I prefer the more accurate control I get from having drag bars and I prefer to have moderate forward lean as I have some damage to my back from perforating projectile wound.  Sitting upright and hitting a bump is painful.

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #3 - 07/31/18 at 03:54:15

Yes I realise the bars will hit the tank so i'll probably go for a small pair of risers. my chopper had a couple of Velcro cable wraps around the bars where they would hit the tank

IP Logged
Tippyman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/01/18 at 12:34:14

Got any pix of the old raked out gal?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 08/01/18 at 13:30:19

I have the standard drag bars on my bike and use 3" risers with plenty of tank clearance. It may just about, be possible to use 2" risers without tank issues.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 08/06/18 at 03:13:27

I went from the stock tall risers, and stock drag bars, to some wider bars with less pullback. I made some custom risers from some aluminum bar (using the old-style clamps). I was able to get away with 40mm risers, that left about 5mm clearance between the control boxes and the tank. I had to get some longer bolts and grind the hex-heads on the bolts to fit into the stock clamps.

The effect on the ride was I felt more in control for slow cornering. Also the 'work' moved from my shoulders to my upper back (elbows out), which suited me because of a dodgy right shoulder.

In this image, the lower bars are the stock drag bars, and the upper bars are the ones I swapped for. They were marketed locally as 31" HD Drag Bars.

Drag_Bar_Comparison_-_S40__HD_2_001.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 08/06/18 at 03:18:16

Here's a comparison shot (stock risers Vs custom risers), At this point the custom risers were at 50mm. I later trimmed another 10 mm off.

Then ... I went to Triumph Superbars (looked great but the ride suffered), and finally I settled (mostly) on some Zed Bars with a 6" rise.

Handlebars-Comparison_001.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 08/06/18 at 03:32:27

FWIW, here's a shot with the Zed Bars:

Zed_Bars_4.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 08/06/18 at 03:35:15

And here's the Superbars (these clear the tank):

Superbars_1.jpg

IP Logged
chrischrischris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sydney - Australia
Reply #10 - 08/06/18 at 05:14:39

where did you get those Z bars IslandRoad?

East Coast Australia - 2016 / dyna with 3/4" straight through / 52.5 / 152.5 / uniflow / raptor / bobber
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 08/06/18 at 13:21:01

chrischrischris wrote on 08/06/18 at 05:14:39:
where did you get those Z bars IslandRoad?

I got them locally, here in Australia:

https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/zodiac-z-bar-6-rise-chrome-with-indents

The brand is Zodiac, they make various versions in black and chrome, with different height risers. (I'm pretty sure the image in the link is not of the 6" version but the measurements are correct)

They are of excellent quality.

Keep in mind you'll have to grind the locating pins off the control switch boxes or drill locating holes in the bars.

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #12 - 12/12/18 at 05:20:28

Here's a pic of my raked out 'gal'

LS650five_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print