Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner life (Read 50 times)
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Cam chain tensioner life
12/08/18 at 20:33:23

Have just had my cam chain tensioner modified along the lines of the Verslagen model. The mileage was 36,000 kms and the amount of 'adjustment' remaining 14.5mm. If you started with a full 19mm available this would indicate a life of ~47,000 kms; if the tensioner begins life partly extended, eg say 4mm, it would indicate a life of ~51,000. This sounds high compared with what others are saying (eg 30,000 kms. My bike is a Nov 2014 build, bought new in Dec 2015.

Whatever, I am glad to have got it done, thanks to Verslagen for the design. Based on a photo, my mechanic was very impressed with the workmanship apparent in the Versy design; he said his effort was much rougher but should do the trick. I said don't worry, I now don't expect to ever see it. By the way he found the (metal) gasket went back on satisfactorily.

Jasbee

Red 2015 S40, Boulevard screen, Ventura rack
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cam chain tensioner life
Reply #1 - 12/09/18 at 07:43:25

The fact that you got 36,000 km on the tensioner the first time around ,hints to your riding style, (relatively gentle -not a drag racer) , but I think for safety, that in this case "the others" are correct. It's not that you may not get more than 30,000 km this time around, but I think at that point I would be pulling the side cover to check it, and maybe every 7,000 km after that point,if you still have a few mm left on the tensioner. The side cover gasket,  even if you need to replace it every time, is a cheap price to pay for piece of mind.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 12:04:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.