Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mid Control Foot Pedals - need your feedback (Read 137 times)
nerdsports
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid Control Foot Pedals - need your feedback
07/02/18 at 10:13:20

Hey guys! I built a set of custom foot pegs for my Savage build and I've gotten a few people interested. I figure I could build a few sets and thought to post a thread to ask questions, get some feedback on options/prices.

RYCA sells just the bracket for $400 to be used with universal rear sets.

My setup uses the factory shift lever and brake pedal. The shift linkage had to be extended about 1/2". The brake side has a custom linkage to the drum and includes a return spring and also a preset adjuster. Also, I used a set of universal dirt style pegs.

So to start my questions:
  • What would you guys pay for a bolt on setup?
  • Would you be interested in a setup that only includes the bracket/mount and you figure out the rest (cheaper than $400!!!)?
  • Lastly, how many would be interested in purchasing some form of mid control setup?

I appreciate your feedback, guys!

savage_controls.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Mid Control Foot Pedals - need your feedback
Reply #1 - 07/02/18 at 11:10:10

I applaud your attempt to make this work - and I do appreciate how difficult it is to design/build something like this and get it from a concept to a workable product.

I can see that one difficulty in making this - is to determine where the pegs should be to be "mid" controls versus a "rear" set.  The handlebar and seat position on any custom build could require the pegs to be in any number of positions.  The peg location is also very much controlled by the exhaust location if the stock Savage header pipe is used.

I have attempted to post a photo of the RYCA rear set mount as a comparison of the peg location - perhaps it would help if you could post a photo of where your mount puts the footpegs when it is mounted on the bike.

Rearset.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nerdsports
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/03/18 at 06:09:01

Here is a profile shot of my Savage with the custom foot controls. I will post a photo tonight showing me sitting on it. I was going to adjust the positioning by lowering them approximately 1" and having them go forward about 1" as well.

savage_profile.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 07/03/18 at 06:37:12

I love the simplicity of your design. I attempted to copy your pegs, but they would have been too "rear-set" for my needs.  Below is a picture of where I put mine.

I put my work in http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1487785879/0 and my bike is http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1472222031/0#0.

So, I think they should be more forward and slightly lower, but a lot of us run with stock exhaust header so you'll need to be very careful where you place them.

Maybe you can make them adaptable for both rear-set and mid-control use??

IMG_20170516_074230070_001.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 07/03/18 at 06:42:51

The exhaust side is tight...

IMG_20170326_155514279_003.jpg
  IP Logged
nerdsports
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/03/18 at 06:55:34

ohiomoto wrote on 07/03/18 at 06:37:12:
I love the simplicity of your design. I attempted to copy your pegs, but they would have been too "rear-set" for my needs.  Below is a picture of where I put mine.

I put my work in http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1487785879/0 and my bike is http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1472222031/0#0.

So, I think they should be more forward and slightly lower, but a lot of us run with stock exhaust header so you'll need to be very careful where you place them.

Maybe you can make them adaptable for both rear-set and mid-control use??

Ohiomoto, I think this settles it. My pegs are definitely not mid controls. They worked for me in an enduro-ish sitting position but definitely not mid controls.

You also brought up something I did not take into account - stock exhaust position. I can only go off my bike with a custom high mount exhaust.

I feel my efforts would be wasted with another 'rearset' option instead of a true mid control position. Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 07/03/18 at 12:22:59

I'm seeing some beautiful fabrication work in this thread.  All the setups look totally professional.  Nice job to all.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/03/18 at 12:37:47

While it might not be everyone's preferred location, it certainly is an option.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 07/03/18 at 13:43:04

nerdsports wrote on 07/03/18 at 06:55:34:
Ohiomoto, I think this settles it. My pegs are definitely not mid controls. They worked for me in an enduro-ish sitting position but definitely not mid controls.

You also brought up something I did not take into account - stock exhaust position. I can only go off my bike with a custom high mount exhaust.

I feel my efforts would be wasted with another 'rearset' option instead of a true mid control position. Thanks for the input.
----------------

I wouldn't go that far.  I think another option would be nice, but another option with options would be even better.

IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #9 - 07/07/18 at 09:48:22

I really like the idea of mid controls. The forwards are good but I like being able to lift up for extreme bumps that are in avoidable. With the forwards you kinda have to pull yourself forward on the bars which can upset the suspension. I also like the moto footpegs. For now, I’m toying with the idea of replacing the stock pegs with moto pegs to get a happy medium. But I would be interested in mods that work with the stock exhaust.

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:19:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mid Control Foot Pedals - need your feedback

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.