Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike dies when deaccelerating from 60 (Read 58 times)
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike dies when deaccelerating from 60
06/27/18 at 13:05:44

A little background, a friend of mine wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. So I said what the heck? I let him ride my newly painted Savage darling, and then, all the sudden he decides he is a pro. He laid the bike over going 15-20 miles an hour. It's scraped the front fender and bent the right side foot Peg. Other than that, the bike appears to be fine cosmetically. Now the bike backfires a lot And dies when rolling off after going 60+ mph. Any suggestions??

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Bike dies when deaccelerating from 60
Reply #1 - 06/27/18 at 14:18:48

Could be a vacuum petcock problem. It could also be a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum line between the carb and the petcock to make sure it isn't leaking or got pulled off when the bike was dropped.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/27/18 at 14:50:05

Technically speaking , your bike isn't backfireing (through the carb) but after firing through the muffler. Assuming the bike was dropped on the right side (bent right side peg) I'd be checking for an exhaust leak ,loose or broken header bolts ,or the joint where the header pipe and muffler meet. Air entering at either would cause "backfiring" and maybe a change in back pressure that might cause stalling when you close the throttle.I'd also check the carb for any change -loose vacuum line, missing fuel screw, loose clamps,loose mounting bolts at the head, throttle cable as it leaves the grip , idle screw setting, etc.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/27/18 at 15:13:27

If the idle is low
And
You chop the throttle
It'll die..

Make sure the idle is right
Control the gas

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/27/18 at 22:45:45

Okay, so here's what I've done so far. I verified the carb is in good order, the exhaust doesn't appear to be leaking (took a piece of toilet paper and went around the exhaust watching for movement), and none of the header bolts are cracked that I have found (took the head off to look at the cam chain). Would an impact be enough to cause the cam chain to jump a few teeth on a Gear? I think it's timing is pretty off?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/28/18 at 08:45:02

I've not heard of that happening.
If some else has then chime in.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/28/18 at 09:21:02

compression ,spark and fuel =run, . You need to be looking inside the carb , pilot jet,float level, fuel screw, and more importantly the  TEV valve. The TEV valve opens and feeds extra fuel to the intake when the throttle is closed.. When you close the throttle at 60 mph the motor coasts down from 4000 rpm ,but your carb is only allowing the pilot jet to provide enough fuel to keep the motor running at 1000-1200 rpm ,thus the TEV provides the rest until the rpm drops to idle.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/26/24 at 16:35:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike dies when deaccelerating from 60

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.