Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suzuki Savage TM carb fuel management (Read 130 times)
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Suzuki Savage TM carb fuel management
06/18/18 at 18:09:29

Hi all, been a while since I've been on here and my savage build had to take a brake to.  I'm back at it and looking at fuel management.  I am sure there is a discussion on carburetors but I could not find one specific to the Mikuni TM.  I am thinking about installing a Mikuni TM pumper carb.  Anyone have an experience with these carbs?  Pros vs Cons?  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Suzuki Savage TM carb fuel management
Reply #1 - 06/19/18 at 22:55:40

I don't think anyone uses the TM ,I don't know why you would want a pumper carb , I don't think our motors are large enough to handle the added fuel and adjusting the pump stroke so the motor doesn't bog ,might be tough  .Most on here have used the VM ,and even these require that you roll the throttle open and closed. The VM is known to produce better hp due to increased velocity ,the TM 's pump may inject to much fuel (slug) that wouldn't mix readily with the air ,thus not produce as much hp , and lower mpg.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #2 - 06/20/18 at 05:33:22

Thank you for the response.  I assumed a TM would be too much fuel however without finding any info online in use of a TM carb on a savage I figured I’d ask.  Should have figured that is why there is no info, haha!  I know that a XR650 and some of the 450 enduros are a more high performance machine than a lil ol savage, however they are putting TM carbs on those bikes with success.  

Regardless, 36-38 mm VM is the ticket for a savage then?  Any idea on the jetting size in a humid hot place like Iowa?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/20/18 at 19:33:54

I believe Lancer sells a complete kit,which includes the new throttle cable you'll need ,I don't run one myself ,but I'm sure he could give you the best advise about carb size(usually 36mm) and jets . look him up in The Marketplace. elevation above sea level as much more influence on jet sizes than temp/humidity.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #4 - 06/22/18 at 09:47:56

Thanks buddy!  I’ll check him out.  Currently have a lot of changes going with the savage, carb is just one of them.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 06/22/18 at 20:54:37

There are two of us I believe running a TM carb.  
My bike has a TM non pumper and there is another guy on the forum that is running a TM Pumper.  I can't remember who that was.  We both went to the TM at the same time and previously couldn't find any info or anyone that had.  I am in Minnesota and I tuned mine with a wide band AF sensor.

Here is a little closer shot of the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 06/22/18 at 21:05:29

Ok an additional update.  I found the one I believe I was thinking of.  Truckinduc I am pretty sure ran a TM pumper on the hard core corner carver he built.  I am not sure if he is active here anymore or not.

WWW   IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #7 - 06/27/18 at 08:17:06

Thanks Blue!  darn that’s a nice looking bike to!  You do all the work?  I started a build with my savage about 5 years ago and then it sat, and sat... in finally getting back to it.  I’m using a Benelli take as well but I’m using a modified savage frame with mag wheels, f&r disc brakes, and a custom swing arm.  

I’m hoping or a good end result.  I had an opportunity to get a TM but was going to pass if it was unusabale on a savage.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #8 - 06/27/18 at 08:48:08

What size TM were you looking at?  I am running a TM36 and that seems to be sized well.  I would be a little concerned about putting a TM40 on it although I don't remember what Trunckinduc ran on his.  TM38 is also very common in the Motocross world.

WWW   IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #9 - 06/27/18 at 09:48:58

TM38 is what I am looking at.  And you’re right about 38mm for dirtbikes and also atv.  I used to race atv and dirtbikes in my younger years and I ran 38mm  airstryker carbs on my 250R and 38 mm lectron on my dirtbike.  I always wondered how a lectron would work on a savage but I don’t have one laying around.  They were IMO the best you could buy for a CR250.

IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #10 - 06/28/18 at 11:19:00

Just popped my new swing arm out of the jig.  It’s just tacked together and the front bracing isn’t on it yet but everything fits and measures straight.

EE43B4FB-E04C-499F-ABEC-6386ACDC14FF.jpeg
  IP Logged
Honda-redrider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Iowa
Reply #11 - 06/28/18 at 11:20:16

Mounted

22937ED3-D696-497C-BE63-ABBAD60B9D46.jpeg
  IP Logged
Honda-redrider