Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Model Years and Part Compatibility (Read 256 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Model Years and Part Compatibility
06/06/18 at 12:34:39

Hi,

It’s been a while and my searching skills have fallen to the wayside. I am curious to know if parts from all model years will work for all Savage/s40 bikes.

I am looking for a complete clutch assembly for an 01 Savage. I know the years preceding should work but what about the later models? I’m shopping on eBay/ salvage yards bc I don’t want to spend a ton but I am trying to be as conscious/cautious as possible.

Thanks,

The Jet

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Model Years and Part Compatibility
Reply #1 - 06/06/18 at 12:56:12

If you're talking about the clutch basket and the gear on the back, only the 1st year maybe the second (86, 87) may not work in other years.  But would work if you got the matching primary gear... I think.  

All other clutch parts are more or less the same  throughout the years.

WWW   IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 06/08/18 at 11:05:20

That could be an option for those seeking taller gearing. The higher primary ratio could be combined with the Kawasaki pulley(s) to go even higher.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 06/08/18 at 17:44:29

That is one excellent observation Fast.  Does anyone have the tooth count for the older gear set?  What parts must be changed to do the conversion?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #4 - 06/09/18 at 11:49:57

There is a picture in the companion cd that lists the ratio of the early primary set. But, like the pulley swaps, it will throw the speedometer reading off if you try it.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 06/09/18 at 12:52:42

Isn’t it a bit easier and cleaner to swap out the basket and primary drive gear?  You don’t have to modify anything or grind away case material for clearance (irreversible).  If you wanna put it back like it started just swap the old parts back in.  The stock pulley is also lighter than the larger Kawasaki unit so there are less inertial forces working on those already precarious splines.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 06/09/18 at 13:05:37

Isn’t it a bit easier to change out the basket and primary gears than change the pulley?  You don’t have to machine the hard pulley or grind cases for clearance (irreversible).  If you wanna put it back like it was just swap in the old parts.  Plus you also have the option of combining the two mods for even taller final ratio.  The Kaw pulley is also heavier so it creates even more of an inertial problem on those already precarious splines.

I think you got a winner idea Fast.  The speedo is toast either way so it’s a wash.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 06/11/18 at 08:33:53

The swap your talking about would change the primary drive ratio from 1.888 to 1.811  (36/68 to 37/67) about 4.1% or about half what the front Kawa pulley will do 9.2%. But they could be used in combination. Assuming 4010 rpm to be 60 mph (stock) the combo would reduce rpm to 3530 @ 60 mph ,with a stock 140/80/15 tire.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 06/11/18 at 13:10:07

I just returned home from my trip and was looking at the illustrated breakdown of the trans in my totally-accurate way-informative Clymer manual (I love the section on tires where it tells you to change the valve-stem when changing the tire but doesn't mention the tube, or even imply that there is a tube).  I noticed that the speedo drive runs off the right side of the output shaft.  That means that there would be no affect on the speedo if you only change the basket and primary gears.  Do I have that right?

Of course if you mess with the pulleys then you can expect the speedo to be off.

Based on Batman's numbers seems to me like if you did both you would have a pretty nice 5th gear cruiser, right in the sweet spot.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/11/18 at 13:58:20

course if you mess with the pulleys then you can expect the speedo to be off.

You can expect change.
Most of them are off now.
They report that you're faster than you are usually.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/11/18 at 16:33:32

DBM it appears your correct , just changing the basket and drive gear should not alter the speedometer reading. I looked at Ron Ayers site,and it appears there was no change in the speedo drive gears or speedometer in any years.

« Last Edit: 06/12/18 at 00:45:49 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/12/18 at 04:43:09

batman wrote on 06/11/18 at 16:33:32:
DBM it appears your correct , just changing the basket and drive gear should not alter the speedometer reading. I looked at Ron Ayers site,and it appears there was no change in the speedo drive gears or speedometer in any years.

The ratio change in the primary gears happens prior to the speedometer drive.....so it has doesn't change the speedometer ratio.

Anything you change after the output shaft (pulleys or tire or wheel size) will affect the speedometer ratio.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/27/18 at 04:13:32

batman wrote on 06/11/18 at 08:33:53:
 The swap your talking about would change the primary drive ratio from 1.888 to 1.811  (36/68 to 37/67) about 4.1% or about half what the front Kawa pulley will do 9.2%. But they could be used in combination. Assuming 4010 rpm to be 60 mph (stock) the combo would reduce rpm to 3530 @ 60 mph ,with a stock 140/80/15 tire.

It could be that the 1986 ratio was not continued for all 1986 models.....or the eBay sellers are not good at keeping track of the bikes the parts came from.

I have been watching the 1986 clutch basket sales and counting teeth...and so far I have not found any clutch baskets with only 67 teeth.  If you do find a 67 tooth clutch basket - be sure to also get the matching crankshaft gear....as those parts are no longer available from Suzuki through their parts list.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/29/18 at 08:55:37

batman wrote on 06/11/18 at 08:33:53:

Has anybody actually seen a 1986 37 tooth primary and 67 tooth clutch basket assembly?  I have been watching eBay, and all the clutch baskets have 68 teeth.....even the ones listed as 86 models.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 10/30/18 at 07:43:44

Does the info on the basket mention anything about being used in other Suzuki models ?
Seems like I saw something once about that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:23:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Model Years and Part Compatibility

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.