Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Phone mounts do you use? Or bluetooth helmet? (Read 90 times)
CheffJeff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What Phone mounts do you use? Or bluetooth helmet?
12/04/18 at 15:17:36

Title ^

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What Phone mounts do you use? Or bluetooth hel
Reply #1 - 12/05/18 at 03:42:34

The first phone/GPS mount I bought was a "Kuryakyn 1699 TECH" and it is bit expensive and a little bit bulky - but it is very well built and adapts to almost any size phone or GPS.  The cradle removes very easily from the ball, so if you are not using the phone/gps you can remove the cradle easily and only the ball and handlebar remain on the bike.

More recently I have drilled and tapped a Garmin sized ball to mount directly onto the steering stem bolt , and I use the Garmin windshield cradle (unsnap it from the suction cup).   It fits much better and is not bulky, and I have started to keep my phone in my pocket or tank bag - in a waterproof bag if there is any chance of rain.  I got caught in the rain on one ride and thought my pocket was waterproof - it wasn't and my 4 week old cell phone was ruined.  The cell phone seems to provide much better navigation than the Garmin - however the phone is not waterproof and when we ride in the TN/NC/GA mountain areas - the phone often does not have service.  Once you have established a route the phone will continue to give you GPS directions - however you cannot change the route or establish a route if you don't have cell service when you want to make the change.

The Ram ball mounts are good and there are a lot of options for mounting - the only issue with them is the balls and clamps are a bit large.

My wife and I ride double, and I bought a pair of Sena SMH10 helmet radios so we could chat.  The Sena allows you to bluetooth with a phone or Bluetooth enabled GPS - or - use the intercom.  The only issue with this model is that if you are using your phone for navigation and getting instructions in your helmet - if your partner uses the intercom to talk to you - you cannot get the phone back unless you turn the helmet radio off and allow it to synch with the phone again.  I can answer phone calls easily while riding, the intercom is not usable while the phone call is in progress - but it does allow the intercom to come back as soon as the phone call is over.  The more expensive Sena 20S can switch back and forth between intercom/phone/bluetooth.  If you are not needing an intercom for riding double or with another rider - there are a lot of Bluetooth options for your helmet.

« Last Edit: 12/06/18 at 05:26:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 12/05/18 at 07:57:54

Phone in my pocket with Bluetooth headphones for streaming background music.  I can adjust volume and skip songs using the controls on my headphones.  I have an open face helmet so I'm not taking phone calls or anything like that.  I haven't tried using voice navigation, but I think it would work well.  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 12/05/18 at 17:34:16

Phone in my pocket, SENA Bluetooth installed in my modular helmet.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 12/06/18 at 11:14:43

phone in my pocket.  Sena SMH5-FM Bluetooth in my FF helmet.  I like the Sena with FM radio because I can listen to radio and still get my audio navigation prompts, too.  I'm able to initiate and receive phone calls, listen to texts and even voice text if I choose.

We have a full-time comedy radio station here in Denver and I listen to that a lot while out wrangling with the idiots on the road.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 12:18:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What Phone mounts do you use? Or bluetooth helmet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.