Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rear brake/hi speed turns (Read 154 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: rear brake/hi speed turns
Reply #15 - 04/15/18 at 18:31:15

I do believe that the brake application in motorcycle riding has the potential for 3 different style of braking.....and they correspond to how far you advance.

1)  In the beginning, you are learning how to operate the hand throttle, clutch, shifter.....and one or both of the brakes, and how to steer and balance.  In the beginning the front wheel brake may not get much attention, as you are either warned not to use it too aggressively - or you have squeezed it too hard and learned the hard way.  The finesse that it takes to run both the throttle and the brake lever at the same time may just be too much to learn immediately, and a rider may postpone that to a bit later as they are in the beginning stages (and somewhere in there you have to learn about the turn signals, dimmer switch and horn).

2)  As your skill progresses and you became graceful operating the motorcycle - hopefully you have learned to operate the front brake efficiently and safely.  You have learned that proper operation of the front brake requires a controlled squeeze - and not a "grab".  When a panic situation arises and you need to stop in a hurry your braking isn't "panicked" - and you apply the front brake progressively and add more pressure as the weight shifts forward.....and simultaneously begin to reduce the pressure on the rear brake.  Even very aggressive stops can be made without locking up a wheel - and if/when the rear locks up you can instantly release it and avoid running off the road or falling down.

3)  Some riders may never reach this third level - but if you become someone that likes to ride aggressively and you ride fast up to the corners and then brake very. very hard - you are going to find that the rear brake can lock up the rear wheel far too easily....and when it does the back of the bike starts to swing to one side.  Under extremely hard braking almost all the weight of the bike is on the front wheel - and even the slightest bit of rear brake can result in a skid.  (If you have the stock front brake on the Savage - you likely will never be able to brake this hard).

I have avoided posting this comment, as I suppose it could be as controversial as a discussion on counter steering - or perhaps get someone in trouble if they haven't yet obtained the skills it takes to use the front brake skillfully.  I  believe it is something you will learn as your skills improve and you realize you are locking up the rear brake more often as your skill and speed increase.  The road racing friends I have told me that they don't use the rear brake when riding aggressively - it took me a few years of chasing Oldfeller and MMRanch around in the mountains and riding the Tail of the Dragon to learn why. (I don't know about Oldfeller - but MM has been telling me for years that he uses the front brake almost exclusively).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 04/16/18 at 05:40:16

MM doesn't use his rear brake, it is adjusted so it does not actuate.

I use both brakes as I have a lot more mass to slow down.   My rear brake can be locked, but it takes a lot to do that as I have "smoothed" my drum surface intentionally to cut down on the aggressive grab rough finish that Suzuki ships the bike with.

Front brake is strong, but progressive.   Rear brake is strong, but you really have to stomp on it to make the brake lock up.

I think we spent too many years showing our butts on curvy mountain roads,  it has poisoned my mind for civilian riding.  

Went for a ride yesterday and found myself cutting 55 mph in a 25 area just to get the boring off of it .....

« Last Edit: 04/23/18 at 12:27:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 04/16/18 at 06:13:31

Dave, how did you do following that oh so slow road captain?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 04/16/18 at 06:49:12

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/18 at 05:40:16:

MM doesn't use his rear brake, it is adjusted so it does not actuate.

I use both brakes as I have a lot more mass to slow down.   My rear brake can be locked, but it takes a lot to do that as I have "smoothed" my drum surface intentionally to cut down on the aggressive grab rough finish that Suzuki ships the bike with.

Front brake is strong, but progressive.   Rear brake is strong, but you really have to grab it to make the brake lock up.

I think we spent too many years showing our butts on curvy mountain roads,  it has poisoned my mind for civilian riding.  

Went for a ride yesterday and found myself cutting 55 mph in a 25 area just to get the boring off of it .....

It happens  Grin Grin Grin

Of course I wouldn't know this from personal experience, but just what I've heard from others.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/16/18 at 06:56:28

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/18 at 06:13:31:
Dave, how did you do following that oh so slow road captain?

If you are talking about my ride last Friday.....it wasn't all that bad.  I was  the fifth rider in the group (that is how we pulled out of the parking lot where we met).  I could see the first two fellows taking the corners and leaning over really good - while the Goldwing in front of me was slowing down at each corner and then speed up and catch the lead group on the straights.

The Road Captain was riding a Suzuki S83 Boulevard, and the 2nd rider was on a BMW F800R, and both bikes had the tires scrubbed right over to some very narrow chicken strips. The Suzuki fellow turns out to be a really cool guy, and a good rider.  I found out that he used to be a local racer, and I ask him if he rode Motocross or Hare Scrambles - he told me he raced before that stuff was available om Cincinnati and he rode Flat Track and TT Scrambles for several of the local motorcycle shops.  The first two fellows rode very similar to how MM and I ride - they generally comply with the speed limits and don't slow down much for the curves.

Since this was my first ride with the group, the new tires on the BMW had less than 100 miles on them, and it was my first long solo ride on the BMW - I didn't have any problem riding at a reduced pace.

When I ride with them again.....I am going to jockey into a position nearer to the front. Wink  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 04/16/18 at 20:01:15

Of course I wouldn't know this from personal experience, but just what I've heard from others.  

No Tickets and No Blood , But DON'T slow down for the curves ... Easy to say ... Sometimes HARD to do !

Lancer , that ride you lead us on the Oaklahoma Skyway was at a "Sprited Pase" ...   Cool  I'd be up for that Ride as a yearly thing !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:57:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › rear brake/hi speed turns

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.