Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can’t go over 50...help? (Read 90 times)
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can’t go over 50...help?
04/08/18 at 11:58:38

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out before. I drained enough oil to get the correct level. The spark plug is new, enough though it may have already gotten fouled by all the excess oil...the bike runs excellent until 50mph and it won’t go any further. When I got the carb rebuild kit, it came with a smaller Main jet. I believe it was the California version according to the chart in the tech section. My question is would that make it so I can’t accelerate over 50? Any help would be appreciated, as the bike is running great except for the lack of power.. Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Can’t go over 50...help?
Reply #1 - 04/08/18 at 12:28:03

If you're reading CA as being California I believe that is incorrect.
California doesn't follow EU spec, but Canada might.
My '96 had a 145 in it.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/08/18 at 13:00:52

Ok I just checked and the main jet that came with the kit is a #130 jet. Would reducing from the factory main jet to the 130 cause the lack of power and inability to go past 50?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/08/18 at 14:07:12

oh yes

150 would be my 1st guess at what the jet should be.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 04/08/18 at 15:06:33

What size main jet was installed before you changed it?  If the bike was running satisfactorily before, then you should stick with the original size jet.  My stock 2016 had a #145 main jet and a #52.5 pilot.  The idle air bleed was a #45 and the coasting enricher air bleed was a #230.  BTW, these jets are sized in 2.5 increments.  For instance, #130, #132.5, #135, #137.5, #140, #142.5, #145 etc.  A #130 main jet is six sizes smaller than a stock 2016 Savage.  In answer to your question about whether or not a #130 jet could cause a problem with power on the high end, yes.  Reducing the main jet six size increments could definitely cause a high speed power problem.  Of course, this assumes you are using stock Mikuni components.  If you are using some other sort of product such as a DynoJet kit, then all bets are off.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/08/18 at 21:41:37

You could look at it in percentage ,the stock 145 jet from the factory, is lean to meet emission testing ,  so we think the 150 is the best all around jet for a stock motor ,while it is a 7% increase over stock ,the 130 jet is a 24% decrease over the stock 145 , and a 33% decrease over a 150 ,nearly a 1/3 reduction in your top speed( Or 50 mph if you haven't done the white spacer mod)).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/09/18 at 07:12:32

Ok gotcha, I’m getting a #150 jet. Thanks again to all the helpful people on this forum! Also I haven’t done the white spacer mod yet but it will be hard as the small screws that hold the needle in place are stripped and I don’t want to drill them out without knowing the size to replace them with.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 04/09/18 at 10:07:35

The screws are stripped because the PO  tried to remove them with a Phillips screw driver ,the screws are JIS (Japanese industrial standard) the 'CROSS' in the screw is shallower and the Phillips doesn't fit fully down into the slots . You could try taping on the tops with a flat punch and then using  a JIS or a Phillips (with the tip ground to a shallower angle) to remove the screws.
   I'd replace the 130 jet with the stock 145  for now, until you get the 150.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/09/18 at 14:52:16

Ok thanks Batman, wow I had no idea either that those screws aren't phillips. Learn something new everyday...I will try that method on the carb needle screws after I have the correct jet in place.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/09/18 at 21:05:21

Support the aluminum flange before you smack the bolt heads.
Yeah, you can put metal back where it came from.

If you can't find JIS screwdrivers, you can grind the tip of a #2 Phillips until the X fills the slots.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 05:07:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can’t go over 50...help?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.