Send Topic Print
Help with grips (Read 53 times)
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help with grips
04/08/18 at 23:33:18

What’s up guys some quick questions! I’ve got a 10” mini ape z-bar for my 04 Suzuki Savage (stock buck horn handlebars) that I’m installing. I think I should be able to install that without buying longer cables, wires, etc. from what I’ve been reading. But will I be able to re-use the stock grips? If it’s a hassle no big deal I’ll get some new ones. Either way when I do go to put the stock or aftermarket grips on the handle bars is it nessassary to add adhesive to the throttle grip? Or does it stay in place using the shell casing (with the ignition start up button) beside it. Looking forward to hearing back.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Help with grips
Reply #1 - 04/09/18 at 03:29:20

The right side stays on the throttle sleeve.

The left grip will have to be worked off, use a small ice pick or phillips screwdriver to work the old grip off, some WD40 will help lubricate it for removal.  The WD40 will also help get it onto the new bars - when the WD40 evaporates the grip is usually stuck tight (on most grips....not sure about the foamy grips on the S40) - you might have to use glue (or hair spray) if the grip keep turning.

The chrome caps can be pulled off with pliers - cushion the jaws with a piece of rubber or leather to keep from damaging the chrome.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 04/09/18 at 10:44:03

Was able to remove mine with a small flat screw driver and a long nose air blower with compressed air. Used screw driver to pry edge and insert and sort of worked it in and got some separation. Then inserted tube of air gun and slowly worked it off. Sort of peeled it back and rolled it on itself while separating it with the air pressure. Took about 15 minutes.

IP Logged
OG Willikers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/09/18 at 22:36:49

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home