Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running rich help please! (Read 108 times)
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running rich help please!
04/02/18 at 09:22:12

Hi all knowledgeable Suzuki Savage people, having a problem with my 2002 Suzuki Savage. Here's a little background info:
First I had fuel leaking into the airbox so I replaced the petcock with the Raptor (genuine Yamaha). After that the fuel kept leaking so I took the carb apart, cleaned the housing and replaced the jets and the float. After that I had no more leaking fuel. I have been having rich running problems ever since. The bike idles great but will stiff puff black smoke under acceleration and once I get it up to speed around 40mph it will backfire and then die. Also wanted to mention that the air filter is new and so is the battery. The only thing I can see being possible is either the spark plug is weak or possibly I need to adjust the float level again. I already bent the tang inwards to lean it out. Maybe I need to lean it some more? Getting really desperate here, I don't want to take it to a mechanic but I will if it means getting to ride before the end of the summer. Help is greatly appreciated.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Running rich help please!
Reply #1 - 04/02/18 at 09:53:45

You need to adjust the float level by measuring it......then you can use the drain screw and a piece of clear tubing to confirm the level is just below the gasket surface on the float bowl.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/02/18 at 09:59:36

Ok thanks, I guess I will take the carb off again arrghh... and measure the float height. If I am thinking correctly I have seen on this forum that the correct height is 1.1 inches from the gasket surface?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/02/18 at 10:07:36

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367212825

A number of people have interchanged a jet on top of the body with the main jet.

Check what sizes are you main and pilot jet.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/02/18 at 10:34:11

Thanks for the replies, I am sure my Jets are in the correct places as I took one out at a time when I was replacing them lol but it never hurts to double check. I will pull the carb, measure the float height, and replace the plug. If anyone has any other suggestions right away please let me know.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/02/18 at 12:38:02

The float height is from the flange of the body to the height of the float,BUT, does not include the gasket. float level 1.06-1.14 in.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/03/18 at 11:18:51

You may want to check a couple of other things, first , if the bike is truly running rich you may have forgotten to make sure the brass washer that goes between the  jet needle body and the main jet is in place , this would allow the jet needle to side down away from the carb body sending in extra fuel ,secondly, If the bike is missing, backfiring and dies , it may be from lack of fuel above 40 mph, which could be caused by the float level being set wrong, or a slightly plugged filter screen , which sits between the carb body and the float valve seat. The events you describe could be a combination of both ,rich at idle to 40 ,  and lean as the float bowl level drops.

IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/03/18 at 11:23:58

Hi thanks for the suggestion Batman. I will double check that the needle jet washer is in place when I pull the carb tonight and set the correct float level. I also do know for a fact that the mesh filter screen is clean because it is brand new, I installed it along with the float needle.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/03/18 at 11:33:04

The washer fits on the jet ,over the threads and may stay in place on the jet ,if you see a seam its there.

IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/03/18 at 12:07:27

Ok I see what you mean, I'm not with the bike now but from looking at the pics in the carburetor cleanup tech article I see where the washer is visible.

IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/06/18 at 08:13:24

Thanks to all those who replied! Verslagen1 I checked the jets and sure enough...I had my main jet mixed up with a jet in the top of the carb. Lol I felt pretty dumb...after that I measured the float height with my dial calipers and got it to spec. It runs absolutely perfect now..up until 40mph. Then it won't go any further. I made sure my battery cables were tight, I replaced the spark plugged and checked it for correct gap. I checked the air filter. The only thing is that I am pretty sure it is way overfilled with oil. I'm guessing that is where the loss of power is coming from. To make matters worse I have a rounded off drain plug. I drained some oil from the port in the front but I will have to find a way to get that plug off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/06/18 at 08:30:14

Take the timing port out and tip it.  not as good but better than nothing.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/06/18 at 09:16:00

Going to try that when I get home. The more I think about it I am very sure that it is the overfull oil that caused the power loss. It was spitting oil into the airbox and looked foamy.

IP Logged
SavageinPA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/07/18 at 10:00:54

Drained some oil out, took the bike out and it ran great up to 50mph this time. It's getting better!  Grin Just need to find a way to get that drain plug out and replace it. Thanks again to Verslagen1 for the suggestion about the Jet mix up. I probably would not have thought of that otherwise.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 04/07/18 at 14:46:30

"The more I think about it I am very sure that it is the overfull oil that caused the power loss. It was spitting oil into the airbox and looked foamy."

If the breather was spitting oil into the airbox there is a very good chance the the air filter element is fouled with oil.  That would choke off your air supply as the seed increased.  Do a quick & dirty test by removing the air filter element and going for a ride.  If the problem goes away then you need to replace or clean the element (replace paper, clean gauze/K&N).  Also, check under your seat to ensure nothing is obstructing your snorkel.

You gotta ask yourself "why was there so much oil in the crankcase?"  My take would be oil dilution resulting from the switch up of jets (#230 in the main jet position and #145 in the coasting enricher air bleed).  That was a major double whammy.  Reversing these two jets creates a condition that results in fuel gushing into the intake at almost every throttle position.  I would get ALL of the oil out of that crankcase and replace with new oil.  Give it the whiff test when you drain it.  It will probably smell a bit like gasoline.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:52:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running rich help please!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.