Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Going Hunting
02/26/18 at 09:52:15

I sold my Honda NT700 and the fellow is picking it up this afternoon.  It is a great bike for a single rider or riding double on local roads - but the passenger seat had very thin padding, and the luggage space was a bit limited for touring with 2 folks.  I didn't take a financial beating as I bought it used and took good care of it, and it only had 6,500 miles on it.  The bike weighed 560 pounds with fuel and ready to ride....it is 65HP.

So the bike I am looking at has twice the HP and only 60 more pounds, and it is still a twin cylinder bike.  It will be used bike, it has 125HP, weighs 620 pounds ready to ride, has a much cushier back seat and plenty of luggage space, and even has front and rear seat heaters!  (I hope I don't have to buy any turtleneck sweaters or matching jackets/helmets for the wife and I).

I have always thought I would own a BMW motorcycle at some point in my life......it is time to do it before I get too old and weak!

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/09/2014-bmw-r1200rt-long-term-test-wrap-up...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Going Hunting
Reply #1 - 02/26/18 at 10:31:23

Dude, that's an all-day comfort bike, for you and your wife. Every now and then I start thinking about getting one of those - and I always have the same argument with myself. It goes like this:

I NEED a BMW R1200/K1600...
I can only use it 7 months out of the year...
My wife may or may not warm up to that type of travel...
I should probably just get a Miata, same money, 12 month use...
I would get horribly sun burnt is a convertible...
Wife wont want to deal with the messy hair of a convertible...
She doesn't like helmet hair either...
But we wont get sun burned in all of our gear...
I need to think about this

I've been having that circular discussion with myself for a few years. Eventually I'll get a K1600 or R1200...I don't know why I keep putting it off. But I can only use it 7 months.........

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/26/18 at 10:32:51

That BMW is a nice looking bike. I hope you do get one and that you and your wife enjoy it thoroughly.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 02/26/18 at 10:35:59

You may want to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Of2saG9sQ8A before you get too enamored of a 1200RT. BMWs aren't exactly the definition of user friendly.

That being said, a K1600B or a K1600 Grand America would make a good Vision replacements should I ever decide to do so.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/26/18 at 11:23:36

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 02/26/18 at 10:35:59:
BMWs aren't exactly the definition of user friendly.

I have been wrestling with that idea for a long time......and the cost of parts and/or trained BMW dealer mechanic labor rates. (BMW oil is $15 a quart).

BMW's are reported to be very reliable, and folks claim they are durable and built to go 100,000 miles easy/peasy....but then I see the listings where the current owners states "$4,000 of service just completed" or "clutch just replaced" or similar.  I saw that the pre - 2009 bikes had an issue with the oil seal being on the outside of the rear wheel bearing....and bearing failures occurring - but in reality very few bikes had problems and those folks might be pressure washing the bearing.  I do believe I can save a lot of money by doing the brake pad, oil change, tire change kind of maintenance myself.

The reality is that I probably will never need to pull the engine apart, as I likleyl won't have enough riding years left to wear it out.  And......a used replacement engine would be easier than a complicated rebuild.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-BMW-R1200RT-Engine-Assembly-w-6-Speed-Transmiss...

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/09/2014-bmw-r1200rt-long-term-test-wrap-up...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 02/26/18 at 11:50:41

Drats...I like that bike! Smooth riding for a little guy like me.  If we could have figured out a way to sneak it in the shop without my wife ever seeing it I would have taken it.

"The gold Honda? Honey, I have had that one for a long time, you don't remember?  Grin Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/26/18 at 11:57:21

stewmills wrote on 02/26/18 at 11:50:41:
"The gold Honda? Honey, I have had that one for a long time, you don't remember?  Grin Grin Grin Grin

It was red......you don't remember?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/26/18 at 13:26:29

Congratulations on the sale of your old bike, that's always the hardest part, buying is easy!  I know a couple who have the BMW 1200 sport tourer and they travel all over the USA on theirs and in all sorts of weather.  The man is in his early seventies and his wife is a little younger.  She loves the bike and said it is the most comfortable ride they have ever owned from her point of view.  They use heated vests along with the heated seat and grips.  

In his younger days he did some road racing so he likes to move along down the road and the 1200 BMW keeps him happy.  The only problem they've had is that the heated seat died on them at the end of the last season and they are having a hard time getting it repaired or replaced.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 02/26/18 at 15:09:03

Dave wrote on 02/26/18 at 11:57:21:
stewmills wrote on 02/26/18 at 11:50:41:

It was red......you don't remember?

Hahaha.  I am a little color blind.  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 02/26/18 at 17:54:43

Dang Dave !   Are you still going to be able to ride with the "Savage's" if ya have a BMW ?   Huh

Looks like a nice bike ... for a BMW and all ...  Roll Eyes

If only you could get by with only 90 HP .... 30.1" seat , 4.8 gal./55mpg , 473 curb #.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/tour/f800gt.html

« Last Edit: 02/26/18 at 21:33:18 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/27/18 at 03:18:48

MM:

I will still be bringing my Savage Cafe' when we go riding in the mountains.......I still love my little Savage and it makes me smile every time I ride it.
(It can't haul and luggage and when it rains I get water thrown all over me).

If it was only me riding the bike - the F800GT would likely be a very nice bike.  There was a local Honda dealer that had a used one and they just kept lowering the price....and I was so tempted to buy it and replace the little Ninja 150 (thankfully they sold it and my temptation went away). Like other used bikes - the used prices seem to drop pretty quickly after about 3 years - and used F800's can be bought at pretty reasonable prices.  (I have a good friend that rode the Dual Sport version of the BMW 800, and he said he didn't like the bike as his hands went numb after 30 minutes of riding it....hard to believe it would have that much handlebar vibration on a modern bike).

The F800 doesn't look like a comfortable bike for my wife to ride on.  (We are going to visit family over the weekend to celebrate my mother's 90 birthday......and we are going past a BMW dealer on Friday and will sit on the F800 and see.)  If it was only a bike for me (and limited double up riding), the smaller bike would likely be a nice bike (so would the Honda CB500F).  I want/need a bike that is comfortable for my wife if I want her to go riding with me.....and one that has enough luggage space if I can talk her into overnight/weekend trips.  It is a bit of a shame that you have to go do a 1,000+cc and 600+ pound bike to get one that is "all day" comfortable for a passenger.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2007-bmw-f800st/6499220441.html

https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-bmw-f800st/6507286284.html

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 02/27/18 at 05:13:28

Dave wrote on 02/27/18 at 03:18:48:
It is a bit of a shame that you have to go do a 1,000+cc and 600+ pound bike to get one that is "all day" comfortable for a passenger.

Not exactly true.

Listen, there is no doubt that the big BMW's are the ultimate touring bikes. But you pay dearly for that privilege and you pay again and again for every bit of maintenance.

If you want a less expensive bike that you can easily maintain, there are plenty of great options out there - thanks to the proliferation of the Adventure bikes. Here are a few examples:

Kawasaki Versys 650

2015-versys-650-grand-tourer-03.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 02/27/18 at 05:16:34

Honda Africa Twin (998cc)

2016_AfricaTwin_04.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 02/27/18 at 05:18:58

Triumph Tiger 800 (shown without bags)

0O6A2230_GRD_All_NEW_TIGER800XR_001.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 02/27/18 at 05:25:36

One of the problems I have the the adventure touring bikes, is the tall seat height.  I have a 30" inseam, and I don't want a bike that only allows me to touch with my "tippy toes".  I had a friend who owned a V-Strom 1000 that he and his wife had ridden double on a 6,000 mile trip out west - and when I took it for a ride I could only touch with my toes on one side of the bike at a time!  (He and is wife are currently looking at a Triumph 800 Low that has a low seat height and is a potential candidate - however his wife is concerned that the tall pillion seat on the low model is going to put her up high into the wind.

The other issue that is of concern is the wind protection and seating comfort for my wife.  On the ST1100 that I had the seat was long and I needed to sit up front near the tank as I am short....and she would sit back and lean against the top box for back support (no handlebars to hold onto), and being all the way back on the seat allowed her knees to be less bent and more comfortable - the problem is that there was about a foot between us and the wind would get between us and beat her up - I could hear the buffeting wind over her helmet radio and it often sounded like she was being hit by a hurricane, and the situation was the worst when there was a cross wind blowing.  The R1200RT with the adjustable screen allowed me to raise the windshield when we were on the highway and keep the wind off her, and then lower the windshield when we were in town and wanted a bit more air flow.  (It doesn't look like the adventure touring bikes provide a lot of wind protection.....although there may be optional windshields that could help).

When considering providing "all day" comfort for the passenger......I still believe you need to buy a large sport touring bike like the Concours, FJR, R1200RT, Goldwing, etc. before you get a passenger seat/peg location that doesn't fold the passenger up into an uncomfortable position....I have posted a photo of a Versys 650 being ridden double......that just doesn't look like rider comfort to me (my wife and I are both senior citizens and not as flexible as we used to be).

And lastly.....the Adventure Touring bikes just don't visually get me excited. Wink   And although I might like riding a crotch rocket...the public image of being a potential "Squid" doesn't appeal to me....and the current naked bikes just aren't "pretty".

2000000219.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/28/24 at 15:26:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Going Hunting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.