Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guidance on buying a car from the North (Read 55 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Guidance on buying a car from the North
03/16/18 at 17:09:48

You guys in the snow ridden states, I need some feedback on buying a car that lived it's first 35K miles / 3 years in MI. It is a '14 Ford Escape. Looks fair in general but there are parts of the under carriage that look like it has seen its share of road salt. Also, the exhaust and muffler have corrosion I presume from road salt exposure and the muffler has two black spots that look sketchy. See photo.

I live in AL and we never see road salts so I don't know if this is expected and not a huge deal if we get the car really cheap, or a sign to walk away?

Comments?
Thanks!

IMG_20180316_162524.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Guidance on buying a car from the North
Reply #1 - 03/16/18 at 17:16:29

Also, this car is "certified pre owned" which they say it had to pass a 114 point inspection, but how much value is in a certification from someone that approves their own certifications, right?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/16/18 at 18:05:40

Do you plan on keeping it for a long time?  If so....buy a southern car.  I used to live up in the snow belt and cars rusted away pretty quickly.  New cars are better than old ones where - but there are still areas that continue to rust away.  Rocker panels, bodies around the wheel wells.....even worse is the brake lines that rust away and the fittings are so corroded they are tough to replace.

It is far cheaper to just buy a nicer southern car than it is to try and fix rust.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Guidaas nce on buying a car from the North
Reply #3 - 03/16/18 at 18:28:00

Thanks Dave.

My brother, who is from GA but has traveled up North quite a bit and is a car guru, said pretty much the same thing. So, it's 0 for 2 from two very reliable sources for the Escape. We'll have to pass and keep shopping 'locally'.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 03/16/18 at 21:25:42

rust never sleeps!................. Cool

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 03/16/18 at 22:12:46

I've never seen rust that goes from black to brown to splatter. if this is the 4 wheel version , it might be the rear differential leaking,( grease being blown back hitting the muffler and cooking) far worse than a rusty muffler that can be replaced cheaply. Rust isn't black and usually creates holes in a muffler. If it's the two wheel drive version then it's salt being thrown up by the rear wheels that hits the muffler ,there's nothing to stop it ,  as these are front wheel drive.

« Last Edit: 03/17/18 at 01:18:54 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 03/16/18 at 22:36:08

Stew , my wife has a 07 Impala .   The first time I got under it to change the oil I was amazed to see so much aluminum and fiberglass .   One of them from Yankee country might not be so bad ?   Its a bigger size car that contently get better than 30 mpg. the wife averages 31.? almost all the time on local driving.
3.5L v-6

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 03/17/18 at 07:06:43

MM. That's funny because we are trying to get out of a white 07 Impala. It is for my maw in law and we need to get her in something up higher and shorter wheelbase and with the backup camera and sensors that the Impala doesn't have.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 03/18/18 at 21:54:13

Stew , you recon ya might get more for your Impala if ya sold it Up-North ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 02:24:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Guidance on buying a car from the North

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.