Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Wide open woes (Read 315 times)
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Wide open woes
Reply #15 - 02/16/18 at 14:42:39

The raptor thingy helped but didn't fix all the issue. Carb will be rebuild this weekend and bigger jets are on  the way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 02/17/18 at 07:22:03

Why do think you need bigger jets?
If your bowl isn't full , it's not gonna run right.
Do you honestly think that carburetor, those jets , off the showroom floor, ran like that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 02/17/18 at 08:09:16

Yeah, a fuel height test is in order as the next logical step.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 02/17/18 at 10:41:21

JOG , I think he will have to go to bigger jets if he 's going to get rid of that mid range sag . Yoshi had a similar filter and muffler set up on his bike and used a 55 pilot ,152,5 main and two #4 washers for the spacer mod.( their elevations are nearly the same)  I don't think mpg will be good ,but it may run better . If he can't live with the bad mileage then it's time to think about a better muffler and smaller jets.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/17/18 at 14:13:37

I will do the fuel bowl level test before I pull the carb for a rebuild. I'm not to concerned with the mileage just want to try to optimize the throttle range with the air filter and exhuast set up i have. It struggle to get up to 50mph and is a dog and stutters on hills.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 02/17/18 at 15:04:55

Old carb tuners like me always say "jet for throttle response", not fuel mileage.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 02/17/18 at 15:17:30

Just changing the jets won't cut it ,you have to do the spacer mod or still have the mid range sag you have now.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/17/18 at 16:36:57

Here's the update. 55 pilot, 152.5 main, cleaned carb and rebuild, 3 of the #4 spacers for the white spacer mod, new idle mix screw at a little over 1 turn out from the full closed setting and adjusted the float just ever so slightly and now I feel like a complete jack a$$ because it runs about 90% better. Thank you all for every tied bit of ideas and knowledge. I'm hitting 70mph pretty easy but still have a little stutter ad full twist. It really is a huge difference just from a few hours ago.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/17/18 at 16:54:29

If you can turn your idle mixture screw all the way in and the bike runs....the pilot jet is too big (turn the idle speed down a bit before you try to adjust the idle mixture screw....then turn it back up to 1,100 rpm idle for riding).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/17/18 at 17:26:42

Yeah I was wondering that. I did put a larger pilot jet under the slide diaphragm. Guessing I should put the one I pulled back in it and start there

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/01/18 at 12:13:05

Ok so I did some back tracking today. I pulled carb and verified i ha e 50 pilot and 150 main jets, blew it all out with air, adjusted need to the spacer mod position, 1.5 turns on air mix and double checked float level.  Now i had a theory, the slide is vacuum operated and the slot in the top of the i take side of the xarb is what opens the slide........ big air filter and 10 inches of silicone tube for my i take creats very little resistance.... so I pulled the after off and left the tube, put tape over 2/3rds of the opened of the tube to create less Opening and man this bike has changed. I can pull 80 with with some left to twist. I can pass cars and it'll almost toss me off when hitting 4 and 5th gears. Time to get an a new filter setup or just get a small ryca or such cone. Thank you all for bearing with .e and giving me input. The bike looks and sounds the way I want and I'm friggin stoked

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 03/01/18 at 20:21:22

Don't get stoked to soon! Changing the air filter will do little to effect how the bike runs!(you'll be right back where you started) When you put tape over the inlet it cut down the amount of air drawn into the carb and increased the vacuum in the carb body,  which pulled more fuel from the jets ,which should tell you your jetting is way to lean . That's your problem! not what air cleaner you use. I'll run this by you one more time 55 pilot ,2 # 4washers on the needle ,152.5 -155 main jet. Don't expect good mpg.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #27 - 03/02/18 at 00:01:59

Make sure all important connections have been inspected too. No harm in unplugging say the signal generatore at the plug and spraying with electrical contact cleaner. I found that on top of a major fuel issue that there was this other smaller thing which I didn't discover till I replaced the carburetor which fixed the main problem thus then exposing a curious intermittent fuel starvation. Turns out that cleaning the contact as above fixed it.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 03/02/18 at 13:18:06

At one point you said you changed to a larger jet under the slide diaphragm ,these jet(s) should be left alone ! one is the pilot AIR jet ,the only pilot jet(fuel) to be changing is in the carb bottom next to the main jet.

IP Logged
Shrulk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 03/02/18 at 18:07:38

I fabricated a mild restrictor plate for the air tube, the jets under the slide diaphragm have been put back to stock. Have risen the bike a few times yesterday and today and it's running great.  I will be playing with the main jet a little over the next few days and try to find the sweet spot

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 12:36:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wide open woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.