ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch
Reply #15 - 04/23/18 at 10:47:57

Huh

send them out and have them blanchard ground.

WWW   IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #16 - 04/23/18 at 12:31:21

Dave wrote on 04/23/18 at 09:22:36:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/23/18 at 09:15:06:
That just might be The Tikkit. That could solve the slipping problem without a spring pressure change, right?

It has been considered as a possible cure........but so far nobody has actually done it.  Thinning down the plates is not all that easy....if you don't have a thickness sander.  Trying to mount 6 plates onto a faceplate on a lathe and cutting 12 surfaces sure would take a long while.  And I don't know how much of the grooves would be left or how thick the fiber lining would be.  

Wonder what would happen if I tried to feed the plates through a wood planer? Shocked

Lol definitely not a good idea to put it through a wood planer Grin

What about buying the DRZ clutches and plates or will a DRZ basket fit in there or what about building everything out of Billet and replacing the parts of a break so we can have heavy duty springs made?

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/23/18 at 12:49:47

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 04/23/18 at 12:31:21:
What about buying the DRZ clutches and plates or will a DRZ basket fit in there or what about building everything out of Billet and replacing the parts of a break so we can have heavy duty springs made?

Sounds like a good project for you.

(Not me.....as my clutch doesn't slip, and I can't afford to have custom billet parts machined for me).

The option of an extra clutch plate is likely an affordable and workable option.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 04/23/18 at 18:08:51

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 04/23/18 at 12:31:21:
Lol definitely not a good idea to put it through a wood planer Grin

I wasn't suggesting the metal plates be put in a surface planer - but the fiber plates may not be any tougher than wood and might stand up to a bit of abuse by the planer.  My only concern is in keeping the plates flat so they don't come loose in the planer.  I would feel much better about a thickness sander that uses a feed belt and sandpaper on a roller.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 04/23/18 at 18:22:05

I've had two of these savages for more than 40,000 miles each.   Both of them started having "Slipply Clutch" problems at about the same millage.

What I have found is :
the clutch pack does not fill the min. space between the sides of the clutch pack .    apparently both ends are made of aluminum and wear to the point of not being able to tighten up on the disk in the middle.

I proved this by putting two of the "Extra thick (.135")" fiber disk instead of one thick and all the rest thin disk (.115) , for a short term fix.    For a long term fix I have bought an extra metal disk (.062") to put against the aluminum end piece.
That extra .020" made the clutch stop slipping.  Wink
When the aluminum wears more and starts slipping again I'll add the .062" to protect the aluminum from further wear.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/24/18 at 03:10:29

MMRanch wrote on 04/23/18 at 18:22:05:
I've had two of these savages for more than 40,000 miles each.   Both of them started having "Slipply Clutch" problems at about the same millage.

MM....you need to shorten the rod in the center of the clutch.  As the clutch discs wear, the rod becomes too long to allow the springs to pull the plates together.  Suzuki sells 3 different length rods so you don't have to put shims in your clutch.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 01:23:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.