Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Time Carb Cleaning Tips!!! (Read 147 times)
Finn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Time Carb Cleaning Tips!!!
01/22/18 at 01:38:40

So I'm going to be removing and cleaning my carb soon... first time pulling a carb apart, ever.

I've read through basically every carb related thread I can find here, so the point of this thread is to get as many tips and nuggets of wisdom as possible before making a basic mistake!!!!

What advice would you give a noob before letting them loose?

Ive just recently purchased my bike. Need to replace all the stripped screws and bolts from the previous owner first before getting stuck in to anything further. So I will leave more technical and individualised questions to for a later thread!

Cheers!

2004 - 27000km - raptor
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: First Time Carb Cleaning Tips!!!
Reply #1 - 01/22/18 at 03:11:44

Take your time, do it once and do it right.
I seen a title on youtube labled carb cleaning forbthe savage, look it up

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/22/18 at 03:24:44

The 4 screws that hold the slide cap on can be really tight.  Use a real JIS screwdriver to get them loose (not a Phillips).  If you can't get them loose, then use needle nosed vice grips.  Don't use an impact, as you can break off the top of the carb when hitting the impact with a hammer.  Adding some heat with a soldering iron on each screw head can help.....don't use a torch.

When you have the pilot jet out and clean it - you should be able to see daylight through the tiny hole in the center.  If you can't see daylight, then take a small strand of copper wire out of an electric wire and use it to poke through the pilot jet to get any lodged dirt/varnish/crud loose.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Finn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/22/18 at 23:46:18

Dave - thats awesome, I knew not to use a torch but wouldn't have thought to use a soldering iron to heat them. Also good point re impact hammer, don't want to be doing any damage.

Yoshi - good idea, I've watched some general carb videos, but nothing specific to the savage. Think I'm going to take a photo of each stage as well just as a point of reference along with taking way to long!

Thanks guys

2004 - 27000km - raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 01/23/18 at 00:31:53

1. Don't do it on a deck with gaps between the boards (don't ask me why!)
2. The air mix screw on the side of the carb has a spring, washer, and o-ring that are made for losing.
3. There's a brass washer on the main jet, it's important
4. The carb WILL come out, and go back in again, take your time
5. Have a space ready to lay out the parts, and time to take your time
6. If you have a significant other, tell them to resist the temptation to tidy up your stuff!
7. Wear gloves after you've cleaned everything and are re-assembling
8. The plate down the guts of the slider goes dimple-side down
9. All of the holes go somewhere. If you spray carb cleaner in a hole, it should, at least, drip out somewhere else
10. Wear safety glasses when spraying carb cleaner in the holes - it hurts if it gets in your eyes (don't ask me how I know!)
11. When reassembling, take the time to ensure the big spring is seated properly in the centre of the cap before tightening the screws (don't ask ... you get it!)

Good luck, it's very satisfying to ride the bike knowing it's humming because you cleaned up that bit under the seat ... said the guy with no experience!  Grin Grin Grin

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 01/23/18 at 01:13:29

IP Logged
Finn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/23/18 at 02:12:12

Cheers for the link Yoshi! Appreciate it.

IslandRoad - that's some good stuff, I like that point about the carb cleaner needing to come out somewhere. Simple but makes sense.
As per points 1 and 10..... happy someone else can make those mistakes for me hahaha
Hope you weren't crawling round searching for parts under the deck with carb cleaner soaked eyes!!

2004 - 27000km - raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 01/23/18 at 07:54:06

Finn wrote on 01/23/18 at 02:12:12:
IslandRoad  ...
As per points 1 and 10..... happy someone else can make those mistakes for me hahaha
Hope you weren't crawling round searching for parts under the deck with carb cleaner soaked eyes!!

Grin Grin Grin Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/23/18 at 09:06:37

You should check the float height last,  just before replacing the float bowl. If the carb is very dirty ,you may want to remove the float valve seat to clean the tiny filter screen that sits above it, it needs to be put back in or it will change the valve operation and fuel height (another small object you don't want to loose).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Willaction
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/15/18 at 16:26:16

Guitar strings (electric) work great for cleaning jets Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 03/15/18 at 17:35:46

Willaction wrote on 03/15/18 at 16:26:16:
Guitar strings (electric) work great for cleaning jets Wink

I found out the hard way that guitar strings (same as piano wire) is way to strong for easily-damaged carb jets and passage.

If you must stick wires into various places, pull some strands out of a copper wire.  The copper wire strand is soft enough to not nick anything inside.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 03/15/18 at 17:48:11

Do the disassembly and reassembly on a large white t-shirt on a clean table.  You can see the little tiny parts,.. they won't bounce or roll very far,.. and clean t-shirt material has very little lint.

If the carb will be gently mounted in a vise for some of the work, put some towels down on the floor to keep tiny parts from bouncing into oblivia.

To loosen the screws, gently tap the screw heads from side to side with a flat punch as shown in the Double Ryca thread reply 62 ... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/60

If you don't have an air compressor, use the compressed air cans used for blowing the dust out of electronic stuff.  They are about $3 at Walmart

Once the carb body has all the parts removed, use an ultrasonic cleaner to get the muck out of all the passages and inner surfaces that can not be cleaned any other way.  Harbor Freight has them for $80 or so, but often they are on sale for $60.  It may seem like a lot to pay for getting one carb super clean inside, but I can promise you, once you learn how to use the thing you'll use it a lot,.... guns, jewelry, eyeglasses, switches, other carbs, little pumps, brake parts, on and on and on,...  https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

Treat the carb reassembly as brain surgery.  Clean hands, clean parts, clean surfaces, clean fasteners, etc.  It may seem like overkill, but if you get the reassembly only 99.9% correct, the carb may let you down big time.  One hair, one tiny particle in a jet or air passage, can really ruin your day.

All this may sound scary, but it is really satisfying when you put a carb back together knowing it is brand-new-clean inside, and then,...... hit the starter button and life is good.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/15/18 at 18:27:18

Yep, absolutely, getting everything absolutely clean and keeping it clean will pay back good dividends. 😉

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 03/15/18 at 23:04:51

The float height is measured from the body of the carb to the bottom of the float, BUT does not include the gasket.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/16/18 at 08:32:36

I use an acetylene torch cleaning set for jets. Just don't go shoving a too fat one in..
Fingerprints on the slide will eventually become a problem.
Clean and dry, like a hot lightbulb.
The easiest way to check float height is tubing from the bowl drain nipple held up by the side of the bowl. That will show you the fuel level.
Inspect the tip of the needle for a groove.

If you're having trouble with the bolts
Stop
Ask
There are approaches not typed out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 18:08:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Time Carb Cleaning Tips!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.