Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just picked up a 2002 Savage will bill of sale (Read 198 times)
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Just picked up a 2002 Savage will bill of sale
01/16/18 at 07:20:29

so I got another savage, I got it with a bill of sale but no title. I already have a Vstar 1100, a Honda Shadow ACE 750 and a Yamaha Riva 125cc so dont know if it’s even worth trying to get a title. Bike is running and only has 1433 miles  Cheesy
What to do? I like how small the bike is but at the same time I dont, the honda shadow is so much better on the highway due to it being 2 cylinder.

I think I’ll make some youtube videos on cleaning the carb and swapping to a yamaha petcock but i think I’ll just part it out after since getting a title is too much of a hassel

I already swapped the handle bars to give it a more comfortable grip

My question is, what would it take to get a title for this? How does one proceed?
« Last Edit: 01/16/18 at 12:48:38 by Yoshi »  

6EED7471-8CF7-426A-96CC-ED487C5FEBB7.jpeg
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Just picked up a 2002 Savage will bill of sale
Reply #1 - 01/17/18 at 13:45:49

Know anybody in GA?

They don't title motorcycles.  But, you can register it there and then "sell" it and they will give you a statement that they don't issue titles. Then, you can register in your state and get a title.

Just make sure the VIN isn't reported stolen.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 01/17/18 at 19:24:09

If the bike has an expired tag on it you can trace back to the owner and get a replacement title from him. He will have to go to the DMV and apply for the new title then sign it over to you. Beside that it depends on the state you are trying to get the bike titled in.
 Here in Florida it is almost impossible to get a bike registered without a title.
 I see you are in New York and it might be a real hassle to get the bike registered. I wouldn't spend any money on it till you know that it can be titled. Hope you didn't spend a lot for the bike.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/18/18 at 03:31:06

Ed L. wrote on 01/17/18 at 19:24:09:
If the bike has an expired tag on it you can trace back to the owner and get a replacement title from him.

This did work for me - but only because my Code Enforcement Officer credentials provide me with connections in the Police Department and County Clerk's office who know and trust me.  Although these folks have access to the original owners name/address - they are not supposed to provide it to the public.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 01/19/18 at 03:03:18

Steve H wrote on 01/17/18 at 13:45:49:
Know anybody in GA?

They don't title motorcycles.  But, you can register it there and then "sell" it and they will give you a statement that they don't issue titles. Then, you can register in your state and get a title.

Just make sure the VIN isn't reported stolen.

No, I dont know anyone in GA

If the bike has an expired tag on it you can trace back to the owner and get a replacement title from him. He will have to go to the DMV and apply for the new title then sign it over to you. Beside that it depends on the state you are trying to get the bike titled in.
 Here in Florida it is almost impossible to get a bike registered without a title.
 I see you are in New York and it might be a real hassle to get the bike registered. I wouldn't spend any money on it till you know that it can be titled. Hope you didn't spend a lot for the bike.

No old plate on the bike...

Dave wrote on 01/18/18 at 03:31:06:
If the bike has an expired tag on it you can trace back to the owner and get a replacement title from him.

This did work for me - but only because my Code Enforcement Officer credentials provide me with connections in the Police Department and County Clerk's office who know and trust me.  Although these folks have access to the original owners name/address - they are not supposed to provide it to the public.

I have a bill of sale from a woman from Ny, I searched het name on facebook but her cousin does not want to help me.

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/23/18 at 15:32:54

Looks like with a 2002 bike you just slip under the Vermont 15 year rule. Here are the details.

http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-title-with-a-vermont-registration/

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #6 - 01/23/18 at 16:40:19

Thanks, i know there's a lean on the title, that's why she didn't want to give up the title

« Last Edit: 01/24/18 at 03:00:16 by Yoshi »  
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #7 - 01/26/18 at 02:57:59

Dave!
I found a plate that was attached to the bike. Its a NY state plate 98FG86 and the last registration sticked was 2012.
Can you help out?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/26/18 at 06:31:55

I'm not sure....the lady who was so helpful died, and we just attended her funeral Monday night.  The new lady may not be all that willing to track down a NY plate for me, as we have not yet developed a trusting relationship.  (I will ask one of the officers if he will look it up for me).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 01/26/18 at 07:24:52

Sorry to hear about the death and thanks.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #10 - 01/26/18 at 21:14:44

I had almost the same problem. It ended up that I had a bike that I could not register.  No title .  I then brought a Savage frame, with title, for $100.  and transferred the engine, etc. into it, and was able to get everything legal. Now I have a legal 2002 motor, in a 1987 frame, registered as a 1987 bike.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #11 - 01/28/18 at 19:34:34

I’ve had frames with titles that I’ve sold, oh well

I now have a V*1100 a Riva125 and a Rebel750 so don’t know if I want do anything with this bike but part it, thought getting it registered would be simpler.

It’s a nice bike with low mileage, wife’s husband passed and he never paid it off a while ago so she got rid of it. Bike runs but has a bad battery, tank has a small dent, and old tires, looks like it was stored well

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #12 - 12/07/23 at 18:42:58

5 years later!
It's been some time since I updated, time flies and am glad I got to look at this thread
I bought a 2001 Savage with 8,000 miles last year, it was owned by a girl, footpegs were replaced at some point, it ran perfectly fine, it had a dirty motor so I removed the motor to instal a fancy head plug and check out the cam chain tensioner condition.
Since I have a 1,500 mile motor I swapped it into the frame, put a blue collar bobber kit on and drove it for 20 miles on Sunday, runs like a raped ape

I installed a k&n cone filter on it, with a supertrapp gutted muffler, I'm running 52.5 pilot 3 washers on the needle and 52.5 main, runs ok with popping when coming off throttle,  im gonna try 1 washer on the needle  and see what it does.
I put on a 17 front chain sprocket and a 43 rear, I love it on the highway now

I also since bought a 1996 with a bill of sale, I just took it apart to play with, somebody stop me!

I sold my 1100 Vstar, the motor revs just as high as this motor on the highway, I really do enjoy the light weight Savage after riding the almost 700 pound Vstar

I also sold my Riva 125, I actually parted it out after blowing the starter clutch and spark maker , I made more selling the scooter in parts then I would make selling it whole

I started with savages when I first bout a 2001 all silver with like 5,000 miles, I then bought a 87, 93, 03 x2, 96,  02, 01

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:33:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just picked up a 2002 Savage will bill of sale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.