What screws are these? (Read 48 times)
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
What screws are these?
01/12/18 at 11:02:00

Hi y'all. I am working to meld a 2001 Savage and a 2003 S40 Boulevard. Until yesterday I didn't know I had a Boulevard. Yet today, I have no idea what the difference is between a Savage and a Boulevard. But that is neither here nor there and not the purpose of this post.

The 2003 was wrecked at two months old and 1200 miles. The front end was crushed, so the previous owner (a neighbor of mine) got it back out of salvage and put it in the shed, meaning someday to get a good frame and transplant the parts to get the bike working again. This, of course, never happened and the bike passed to me when the neighbor moved a couple months ago and had no more use for it.

I picked up a 2001 Savage frame (the PO is a member here) and I am doing to restoration my neighbor long planned. Most has gone easily and I even switched out the motor by myself. If anyone doesn't know how to do that, I would be happy to explain. It's easy and you don't have to be real strong. I'm almost 64 and no one has ever mistaken me for a muscle man.

And, still, not my question. Just some background.

The original headlight for the "03 apparently did not survive the wreck. I have a headlight from the '01, but I am missing two screws, I think. This is my question. What is the size and pitch of the two screws that hold the electrics inside the headlight bowl? Can someone post a picture, in case I still have them in the mess of loose screws that came with both bikes? It seems like the size is either 5mm or #10, but I can find no screw that actually screws in, so the pitch must be off. Or they are special screws.

Also, does anyone know how to remove the lock from the battery side cover? I have the cover, but I have no key for it. And can someone post a picture of the hook the battery cover locks to? I am not sure I have one of those.

Thanks.

Patrick

The glorious rays of dawn exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What screws are these?
Reply #1 - 01/12/18 at 12:14:30

A good source of how the parts go together are the oem fiche available on all the oem parts suppliers websites.  I believe there's also one in the tech section.

The tool box is not very secure.  Depending on how much damage your willing to do, you can pry the cover off.
The cover is held by 2 clips at the top and the latch at the bottom.  The hook is held by 2 screws, I believe 1 is visible.
Pry up slightly on the cover and you maybe able to disengage the 2 clips.
This will expose a screw that if you unscrew it you'll be able to pry the cover further down.
You can fight with it further and maybe expose the other screw at the bottom.
Once you get those out the cover will come off.

You should be able to disengage the hook once it's loose.  Couple of screws and the lock is loose.  There's a post on tool box rekeying in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 01/12/18 at 12:55:54

Thanks for the reply, Verslagen, but I did not make myself clear. My fault. I am not trying to pry the cover off, I am trying to figure out how to get it back on. I have two batteries boxes, but the box on the wrecked bike was disassembled when someone decided to pull the battery out of the wrecked bike. I don't believe I got all the parts from the bike after they took them off. They gave me two bikes at the time. The Boulevard and an '87 Honda Rebel 250. The previous owner's filing system for motorcycle parts was to pull things off both bikes and throw  them into a single plastic bin. The nuts and bolts taken from both bikes were thrown loose into the bin. Also, somewhere along the line, the bin also started getting used for, I guess, any stray nut or bolt or part he stumbled across. For instance, I have never run into a motorcycle that had a four-inch rubber pulley wheel mounted purposely on it. So I have some issues figuring out what parts go with which bike.

The second bike came mostly as a bunch of parts in bags and boxes. So I don't really know what to look for in a battery box hook.

Hence my dilemma. Especially the headlight screws.

Patrick

The glorious rays of dawn exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/12/18 at 13:05:51

here's the parts fiche I related to...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1290238904/0#0

Also get the handyman's picture book...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/12/18 at 13:39:15

Before you wreck it, try to pick the lock.
If you can't, talk to a locksmith and see what it costs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 01/12/18 at 14:11:21

'' For instance, I have never run into a motorcycle that had a four-inch rubber pulley wheel mounted purposely on it.''

WHEELIE BAR!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:42:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What screws are these?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.