Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
air fuel mixture thread pitch (Read 242 times)
Mnheights
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

minnesota
air fuel mixture thread pitch
12/21/17 at 10:21:04

I just bought my second Suzuki Savage LS650. Anyway, I started rebuilding the carburetor and had a very difficult time getting the air/fuel mixture screw out, I mean a very difficult time! Screwed it in three full turns and backed it out 3 full turns, and then someone put the brakes on hard! Used WD-40 and ground the sides of a new screwdriver to fit hole
and fit what was left of the slot on brass needle. Anyway, finally got it out!
I have ordered two new air/fuel mixture screws. Question: what are the threads? I think they are M6 X 0.75 but not sure. I want to run a tap to clean up threads, good or bad idea?  Embarrassed

There is nothing to fear but fear itself
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Re: air fuel mixture thread pitch
Reply #1 - 12/21/17 at 11:23:29

I'd tap that.

Quite sure it's fine pitched, M6x0.5 if I have to quess. I bought a correct sized tap just for that and messed the threads, couldn't find it to check the size.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 12/21/17 at 12:25:53

When the factory installs the screw they dimple the outer threads, which I assume is their way of assuring that it does not fall out from vibration,
As if it needed it.  I've never had one come loose on me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/21/17 at 12:26:57

I'd risk wrecking a idle air screw before I ran a cutting tool into the carb.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with hitting it with penetrating oil, wait, hit it, wait and use a gun cleaning wire brush, spinning it in and out of, letting the bristles sweep the threads.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mnheights
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

minnesota
Reply #4 - 12/21/17 at 15:10:37

I bought a 'lighted' magnifying lens from Harbor Freight. Put the bad pilot adjusting screw (air fuel mixture) under the magnifier and put a MM ruler next to threads. Top of one thread to top off next thread (pitch) is 0.5 MM.
So it is a M6 X 0.5
I am waiting for the new adjusting screws and will try using oil and 'gently' screwing into carburetor. Threads on adjusting screw seem rounded, and outer most, top thread did look as if it had been hit.
The threads in carburetor looked good. Will see what happens.
If I need to buy a M6 X 0.5 tap, does anyone know who sells the tap & die? Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 12/21/17 at 15:19:56

Available in so many places..

Don't get a bottom hole tap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/21/17 at 15:28:05

The 6 x 0.5 aluminum threads for the idle fuel screw can become corroded, and it makes it nearly impossible to get the old screw out - and just as hard to get a new screw in without ruining it. The new brass screw is too soft to restore the aluminum threads - and the brass screw slot doesn't allow you to monkey around with it too much.

I have cleaned up the aluminum threads with a tap....and it works great.  The spring and O-ring keep the idle fuel screw in place.

I have a tap.....you can use it provide you pay shipping both ways, and put a small deposit so that I get it back....I believe it was about $12 when I bought it.  (I bought the tap at a local hardware store that caters to contractors - and it has a very nice selection of taps and dies).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mnheights
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

minnesota
Reply #7 - 12/21/17 at 16:04:40

Dave,
I will check a couple of the local hardware stores first. If I can't find the tap, I will take you up on your offer.
Everyone, thank you for your help and suggestions.
By the way, both LS650's are 2003 models, and were not running when purchased. I have been riding the first one for two years and bought the second last week. Trying to get Julie to get her permit...I am selling my bigger motorcycles, for around town you can't beat the Suzuki Savage LS650!
-Bill

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/21/17 at 18:49:46

A dremel cut off disk , used right, will make a bolt into a thread chaser.
Just a slice into the bolt and Bob's your uncle.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #9 - 12/22/17 at 00:12:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/21/17 at 18:49:46:

I did exactly that to re-thread the side mounts for my seat. Those little buggers are prone to cross-threading! Worked a treat.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/22/17 at 04:55:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/21/17 at 18:49:46:

That does work well on a hardened steel bolt - it doesn't work on these soft brass fuel mixture screws.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 12/22/17 at 06:46:47

Mnheights wrote on 12/21/17 at 15:10:37:
I bought a 'lighted' magnifying lens from Harbor Freight. Put the bad pilot adjusting screw (air fuel mixture) under the magnifier and put a MM ruler next to threads. Top of one thread to top off next thread (pitch) is 0.5 MM.
So it is a M6 X 0.5
I am waiting for the new adjusting screws and will try using oil and 'gently' screwing into carburetor. Threads on adjusting screw seem rounded, and outer most, top thread did look as if it had been hit.
The threads in carburetor looked good. Will see what happens.
If I need to buy a M6 X 0.5 tap, does anyone know who sells the tap & die? Undecided Undecided

Best place for most anything: McMaster-Carr - great place to do business, and they also have a great online catalog.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/22/17 at 09:15:30

I'm sure I'd never suggest that with brass.
I've been using bolts for such a trick for years. They don't cost near as much as a tap.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 12/24/17 at 17:13:56

MSC is great for oddball taps and dies.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Mnheights
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

minnesota
Reply #14 - 12/30/17 at 22:01:32

I received the taps today and also received new brass air/fuel needle valve. Cleaned the threads with tap and put new needle valve in. Put Carb back on and started her up. Seem to run OK, then noticed smoke and oil leak under exhaust, at head.  As I mentioned before, I just bought LS650 and have found quite a bit wrong. So, I wasn't surprised to find a 'nut' missing under the exhaust, M8 X coarse thread. Looks like it has been off quite awhile. The nut on rear of engine was there. I found a nut that fit, put it on and tightened.  Anyway, started up and ran it. To cold to run outside, -11 degrees F. Otherwise, I would take it for a drive. Question: Should the head bolts be re-torqued? Am I wasting my time and should tear engine down for Head gasket?  :'( :'(

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 08:20:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air fuel mixture thread pitch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.