Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help with my 4 Wheeler - SOLVED (Read 99 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Need help with my 4 Wheeler - SOLVED
01/07/18 at 15:02:25

Hey gang..I need some guidance with my 4 Wheeler.  Was using it last night and after turning it off between trips to the shop it wouldn't respond. Turn the key to power or power+lights and nothing. No headlights, parking lights. no LCD display. Acts as if the battery is completely disconnected.

For those that know me, I am decent mechanically but not a great electrician. I have looked at the obvious and no dice...

Here are the pertinent details:

- 2008 Arctic Cat 250 2x4 Utility
- Relatively new battery holding ~13v+ charge
- Checked and cleaned ground wire and inspected
- Checked and re-checked all fuses and all test good. Even swapped the main.
- Inspected the wiring that can be seen without tearing up wire looms and all looks good with no rubs or apparent grounding.

I started testing things with the meter to see where I was and was not getting voltage and I was not getting any voltage at either side of the terminal on the main fuse meaning power wasn't making it that far (checked with key in tall positions). Found the hot feed from the battery and tracked one to the starting solenoid (replaced earlier this year) and the other heading towards the rectifier.  I unplugged the rectifier and tested the terminals from the battery side and I was getting proper 13v+ which was good. When I plugged the rectifier inline and tested the output side of the rectifier I got no voltage anywhere. All terminals 0 voltage.

My obvious question is, can a fried/bad rectifier kill power to the entire system? I was under the impression it was sort of a bypass and not in the linear path of all of the power going to the rest of the system?  I hope that the answer is that the rectifier is bad and this is why the entire electrical system acts "dead" and once I plug in a new one it'll bring power back to the system.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: 01/11/18 at 06:27:34 by stewmills »  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Need help with my 4 Wheeler
Reply #1 - 01/07/18 at 15:44:57

You didn't say if you cleaned the battery terminals at the battery.

Does the (+) wire go directly to the switch from the battery?  If so.....do you get power to the backside of the switch?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 01/07/18 at 16:38:12

Yes. Cleaned and re-checked terminal connections. I grease my terminals as well with battery grease to stop corrosion.

I can't find a wiring diagram.

The smaller hot wire doesn't go directly to the switch as far as I can tell but it's wrapped up and hard to follow.  It appears that one larger hot wire goes to the starter solenoid and the other (smaller wire) is what runs through the wire loom and seems to be what I chased to the hot wire going into the rectifier that is hot on the battery side but not hot on the other side of the rectifier when I put the rectifier in line.

In reading this shop manual, it seems to act like the unit should start even with a faulty rectifier?

ac250_1.PNG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 01/07/18 at 16:42:18

When I do this "fuse block" test I get no voltage anywhere to either side of the fuse terminal where I should be getting something to at least one side, regardless of what the key/ignition switch is doing.

Maybe I need to go recheck the positive terminal and wiring?

Does a bad CDI kill the whole system like this or does it just make it not want to get proper ignition and crank?

ac250_fuse.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 01/07/18 at 16:44:59

Oh...and yes, I tested all the way to the backside of the ignition switch and no voltage anywhere up there. Something further back is killing all power to the ignition system and lights, etc.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/07/18 at 17:03:50

A wire from the battery to the ignition switch should be hot.
Check the maintenance manual for an inline fuse or fusible link.

hat is a Fusible Link? - White Products Cleveland Ohio
www.whiteproducts.com/fusible-faqs.shtml
A fusible link is a short piece of insulated low-voltage cable within an automotive wiring harness that is designed to protect the harness in applications where a fuse is unsuitable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 01/07/18 at 17:12:51

Thanks JOG. Never knew those existed but now know what to hunt for and not overlook it, if it has one, thinking it's just a bundle of electrical tape.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/07/18 at 18:35:11

If you don't have a manual, call the dealership and ask questions.
Or see if you can find a forum for the four wheeler.
Is there a small wire that runs with the positive battery cable?
If so, see if you can Feel it.
I would expect it to be the hot lead to the ignition.

The Half Split method of troubleshooting saves time.
If you trace the wire that is supposed to  feed the ignition, go back toward the battery about 1/2 way to the  battery and dig in and see if you have power.
If yes, tap in, go to the switch or hunt for the break.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 01/07/18 at 18:37:58

I don't KNOW how it's built
Find out before you go digging

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 01/07/18 at 19:33:27

I'm not locating a wiring diagram easily. I do agree I think there should be a hot wire to the ignition somewhere up there but that's what puzzled me when I couldn't find voltage anywhere in the ignition harness. I would think that this comes after the fuse box though, not before, but I need to take a closer look at the wiring.

I'm going with the idea that a wire is bad or a burned fusable link leading to the fuse box because I was not getting voltage on either side of the main fuse poles in the fuse box.

I'll dig around some more tomorrow and see if I can make better sense of things. I'm starting to think the rectifier is ok and not part of the problem so I'm putting it back in place while I chase the wiring from the battery to the fuse box and see where the voltage stops reading good.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 01/08/18 at 10:21:33

I searched and finally located a wiring diagram. I'm no expert at these but it does give me some guidance what all this thing has.  I particularly noted a fuse for #22 that I was not aware of that is apparently tucked up in the machine somewhere. Maybe I'll get lucky and that's it...but it still puzzles me why I was not getting voltage to either side of the main fuse terminal block.  Maybe I wasn't holding my tongue right?

250_wiring.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/08/18 at 11:10:40

If you don't have a ground,, you won't get a reading.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 01/08/18 at 14:24:53

Stew

One of the tricks I use when hunting on wires is :

Take a big strait pin from the wifes sewing stuff , you can push it into a wire , take a reading , then remove it without having to do any skinning !  

wish I could help more !   Huh

PS... don't get you fingers on the back side of the wire ... use a small wood block !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/08/18 at 14:41:10

I got a couple of industrial type push pins that I do that with.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 01/09/18 at 14:53:03

Thanks gang.  Now that it is not raining and freezing outside, I hope to get down in the shop tonight and see if I can make sense of this thing. I'll keep you posted!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 15:19:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need help with my 4 Wheeler - SOLVED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.