Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Plunger switches on handlebars (Read 209 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Plunger switches on handlebars
12/07/17 at 09:01:57

I was asked about installing a strobe system on one of the bikes.

Due to a few staff being killed colliding into vehicles at an intersection some of the high-school students wanted to try installing a turn-signal and additional LED strobe.

The idea is a single plunger switch that would flash some lights on the bike, including the high beam 3-5 times.  Is it feasible to install a plunger switch to the left grip?  Has anyone done this?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Plunger switches on handlebars
Reply #1 - 12/07/17 at 09:37:40

Modify a passing switch?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/07/17 at 10:10:29

Late model bikes have a passing switch in the controls.
But I suppose you want something auto?

You can get headlight modulators.
And tail light flashers.
But it sounds like you want something in addition to existing lighting.

search superbrightleds

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

WWW   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 12/07/17 at 11:17:13

Signal Dynamics makes a headlight modulator http://www.signaldynamics.com/plugandplay that can be turned off but I don't know if it can be turned off and then back on.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/07/17 at 19:25:21

I did that on my Cafe' bike, and I wired it into the passing light switch.  If you have a 2004 or later bike that has the passing light switch - you can open up the wiring harness between the left electrical switch and the headlight, and cut the wire off the large yellow wire....then use that to power the strobe.  You can buy momentary switches that can mount on the handlebar and power the light - and one person in the  thread I linked  below suggested that it could be connected to the horn switch......you would get both horn and strobe on a single switch!

I use the strobe when I am not sure somebody sees me - but I still keep my eye on them and  assume they are going to do something stupid that could hurt me!

Here is the link:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1372162554

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/27/17 at 05:50:31

Thanks for the resources.

Just a quick background as I still get personal messages telling me that I don't listen, I'm an @$$hole, etc. and to leave the boards.

This is a project brought on by high-school aged kids battling drug addiction, this project is part of overall counseling.  This is a project, the bike won't be used by kids on public roads, and its ok to fail.  We still learn from failure.

While it would be feasible to just install a modulator to the horn switch it would still be good to install a switch to the handlebars, as an additional challenge.  I would like to examine a plunger switch possible hooked to a modulator that will flash LEDs on the turn signals, headlight, and tail light.  Im not sure of the tail light should be included.

Another idea proposed was high lumen lighting directed downward to the street for the turn signals.  This of course would illuminate only the appropriate side of the bike and I believe an LED system could work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/27/17 at 06:51:55

messages telling me that I don't listen, I'm an @$$hole, etc. and to leave the boards.

Who is doing that?
Copy and paste the messages.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/27/17 at 08:30:44

I'm just trying to save some people some time complaining by placing a background on the project.  I'd rather keep this on topic and ask for recommendations regarding the following:

A plunger (or toggle) switch that fits on our handlebar.  A two way toggle would be handy for "style" if possible.  Where the circuit activated on the up, and down transition.  

Recommendation on lights that could shine brightly on the street when turn signals are activated.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/27/17 at 09:38:17

For lights, I would check 2 places:

Strobes R Us.  They sell LED strobes that can be set for flashing patterns, or that can burn steady.  They are very bright, come in a lot of color options, and they are simple to wire and mount - they aren't inexpensive.
http://www.strobes-r-us.com/thumbnail.asp?cid=32

Or Super Bright LED:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/strobe-fixtures/

Using anything less bright is not likely to provide enough reflective light to function as you intend.  (I also believe that in daylight you won't get sufficient reflective light from the pavement to provide anything that will provide adequate notice to other drivers).

If you ever drive this on the street you may have some issues with the color and flash rate.....you really don't want to be impersonating an emergency vehicle.  Front turn signals are required to be yellow in most states, and rear turn signals can be yellow or red - they must be red if they also function as tail or brake lights.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/28/17 at 08:10:40

Strobes R us might be the way to go for ease of installation.

I'm familiar with strobe laws as I license all my vehicles as commercial and can have them, however I have never installed them myself.  Its expected that the students look up the legalities themselves though.

The lower lighting would only be useful at night.  I asked that a lab be designed and a survey conducted on flash rates.  The assumption is that 3 to 5 rapid flashes followed by a standard turn signal strobe would attract the most attention.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/28/17 at 09:14:45

Also I forgot to ask what a "passing switch" is.  Is that the turn signal activation switch?

Any reason this thing wouldn't work?  I imagine I will need to remove the airbox and get a smaller battery to make room.

http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup.asp?cid=30&pid=709&offset=0

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/28/17 at 11:32:11

I Think the passing switch just flicks the headlight from low to high, in hopes of getting the driver ahead to see you.
What it needs to do is add five horsepower for fifteen seconds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 12/28/17 at 12:12:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/28/17 at 11:32:11:
I Think the passing switch just flicks the headlight from low to high, in hopes of getting the driver ahead to see you.

I've never used the passing switch, because I never knew what it was for .... pretty sure I still don't.

I just went out and did a quick test to see what it does:

It's a sprung switch that returns to its default location when you let it go. It seems to swap a little bit of power from the standard headlight to the high beam. That is, high beam comes on a bit, but the main beam dims a bit. The overall effect is NO increase in overall brightness but a kind of mild flash effect. It also dims the tail light just a little bit. At first I thought it was just draining a bit of power from the tail light, but the dimming effect on the tail light is more than what happens when you switch to high beam!. I still think the effect on the tail light is not an actual designed effect.

For those with earlier model bikes, here is a picture of the switch on the left handlebar:

« Last Edit: 12/28/17 at 13:33:04 by IslandRoad »  

Passing_Switch_-_small.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/28/17 at 12:31:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/28/17 at 11:32:11:

per push   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/28/17 at 12:42:44

Verslagen wheelies past the eighteen wheeler after quickly punching the button ten times..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 07:42:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Plunger switches on handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.