Saddlebags and racks! (Read 147 times)
Eddy-505
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saddlebags and racks!
01/03/18 at 12:23:27

Good morning everyone (or evening),
I've been searching for quality saddlebags to surprise my gf with for her S40, but all I can find through Google search are VikingBags which, although look nice, have terrible reviews.

What I want to ask the forum members is, what saddlebags do you roadtrip with and do they need mounting brackets racks?

Thanks in advance!

Eddy

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Re: Saddlebags and racks!
Reply #1 - 01/03/18 at 13:10:47

There are good options , only if you travel solo. My Savage came with small useless bags, but had brackets on both sides to keep the bags from hitting the wheel.  It would be nice to have  the bags connected under the rear seat, but that can be a hassle. I connect them over the rear seat. which doesn't look good, but is hidden by a bag on top of it, strapped to the sissy bar.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #2 - 01/03/18 at 13:12:22

I use Willie and Max.

IP Logged
Eddy-505
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/03/18 at 13:37:06

hotrod wrote on 01/03/18 at 13:12:22:
I use Willie and Max.

Thanks for the replies. Those Willie and Max seem to have customers happy. I'm currently looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/Willie-Max-Dowco-Revolution-Maintenance/dp/B0026CE83K

1) Many Willie and Max are synthetic leather. So they're at least water resistant, but will they keep stuff dry while driving in pouring rain?

2) Because they are hard mount, and not lockable, I assume one would have to remove the contents at night (if leaving the bike outside)?

3) Lastly, did you get a generic bracket to relocate the turn signals?

I'm getting everything ready to ride the Pacific Coast Highway at the end of this month. Thanks for your support!

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #4 - 01/03/18 at 14:29:24

Mine are throw-over, not hard. Anything I put in the bags, goes into a garbage bag first for weather protection. If I check into a hotel, the bags come with me. I have used the same bags for 15 years  on different bikes.  Keep the rain gear in another bag on the rear seat, so you can get to it fast.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 01/03/18 at 14:47:33

I have the Vikings, non-locking. I feel that they are fair for the price and have held up well for me.

HOWEVER, their universal mounting bracket kit DOES NOT work with the S40 regardless of what they tell you. I knew this ahead of time because I looked closely at their online videos and knew my bike well enough to know that their kit would not work. I made my own hard mount fender mounting brackets and have enjoyed the bags.

IMG_20160511_080557_2_003.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 01/04/18 at 09:21:46

I bought a small pair of throw over bags from Willie and Max also. I'm happy enough with the quality. I also new that any after the universal brackets would not fit. There are some aftermarket brackets available on line but I could also tell they would only work on earlier model S40s.

in the end, I relocated the rest turn signals to make room. I then bought some new OEM brackets from Suzuki. They mount at the front  of the fender, to the sub frame. They also sit a long way out from the bike - lots of clearance.

I stretched the brackets out so I could use the turn signal mounting hole. I also cut and re-welded the brackets to let the bags sit closer to the bike. They still sit too far from the bike for my liking, but they are practical.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/04/18 at 13:06:33

The bottom line is finding bags of the right size ,(slant bags can be fit closer to the fender due to the shocks) but be prepared to make your own mounts . Hard bags might be more water tight ,but have the disadvantage of cracking or being ripped off in a spill,( soft bags may just get scratched) and don't expand to accept objects slightly over size as soft bags may if the straps are loosened ( I bought throw over soft bags, removed the center yoke and hard mounted them ,they have served me well for the last 4 yrs.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 01/04/18 at 15:21:52

Very clean bike , very nice Stewy !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
24fonz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/07/18 at 08:28:30

stewmills wrote on 01/03/18 at 14:47:33:
I have the Vikings, non-locking. I feel that they are fair for the price and have held up well for me.

HOWEVER, their universal mounting bracket kit DOES NOT work with the S40 regardless of what they tell you. I knew this ahead of time because I looked closely at their online videos and knew my bike well enough to know that their kit would not work. I made my own hard mount fender mounting brackets and have enjoyed the bags.

Very nice looking bike.  I have been thinking about making my own mounts as the universal never seem to fit right.  Any chance you can show a picture of the ones you made or any tips. Thanks.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #10 - 01/08/18 at 00:54:10

I mounted two ammo boxes to the struts, worked very well over 3000 miles & was cheap.

Lastattu.jpeg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/08/18 at 04:08:12

That's a great setup..
Camping and fishing, and riding

Great.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 01/08/18 at 09:37:52

24fonz wrote on 01/07/18 at 08:28:30:
Very nice looking bike.  I have been thinking about making my own mounts as the universal never seem to fit right.  Any chance you can show a picture of the ones you made or any tips. Thanks.

Thanks.  I made them from some steel strapping. Bent at 90 degree and 45 degree angles (IIRC) in the right places and I also rounded the top a bit where it goes under the fender so I could rotate it around to the right angle I wanted. When I had the angle of rotation that I wanted while still a flat piece, I then drilled the holes, marked the strapping where it needed to be bent, then made the bends in the vise.  IIRC, the offset was about 1", or just enough to clear the belt guard and shocks.

Sadly I didn't take good progress photos but here are two that will offer a fair representation.  The first image is the mock-up using a piece of their universal mount for the horizontal piece. The final product (image 2) used a longer piece of aluminum strapping that was longer so it extended a few inches more to the rear to stabilize the tail end of the bags better. Holes were drilled through the bags and the support pieces and that is what holds it all together. No welding, etc.

IMG_20160505_210743_003.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 01/08/18 at 09:39:23

Under-side view of finished product. Not the best complete view, but that's all I have here.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me so we don't derail this thread into a how-to and get moderated .  Grin Grin Grin

IMG_20160511_181026_002.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:00:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebags and racks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.