Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike has been sitting now it’s dumping gas (Read 153 times)
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike has been sitting now it’s dumping gas
12/31/17 at 08:53:17

my bike has been sitting since early August (right before Hurricane Harvey hit). Today I decided to go out and try to start it but it wouldn’t start. I charged the battery yesterday so I knew it had power. As I was trying to start it a bunch of gas poured out from the two breather hoses on my carb and onto the ground. Do I need to clean my carbs or something? Why won’t my bike start? And why is there a gas leak now?

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike has been sitting now it’s dumping gas
Reply #1 - 12/31/17 at 08:59:59

try tapping on the side of the float bowl.  Sounds like your float bowl fuel shut off needle is stuck

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #2 - 12/31/17 at 13:15:54

That just happened with my daughters Savage. Check the oil level and make sure the crankcase isn't full of gasoline.

When I drained her oil it had 2 1/2 gallons of oil/gas in it.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/31/17 at 13:49:11

I’ll try tapping it.

Also I just put fresh oil it it last night before I tried starting the bike. What’s the cause of oil being in the crankcase? There was none last night when I poured it in. I can drain it and check it though.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #4 - 12/31/17 at 13:55:31

Actually the float valve stuck open because she left the gas petcock on. So the carburetor overflowed and the whole tank of gas drained into the crankcase. When it was cranked gas poured out the overflow on the air filter.

If it's just coming out of the carb vents it's still most likely the float is stuck or float needle is bad.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/01/18 at 13:56:03

I think it's a good idea to not change the oil until after you have the bike running , to avoid /see problems like this, and the chance of fuel getting in the oil ,also because the motor should be brought up to temperature before draining the oil. If you didn't  run the carb dry and drain the bowl (if you still have a stock petcock) you might have used some Sta-bil before parking it . I would stop flow to the carb by pulling the fuel line to the carb and plugging it if need be ( or to the off position if you have a Raptor ). and drop the bowl to see what's there, you need to know why the float hung up ,to make sure it doesn't happen again, and if the carb needs cleaning, if you have a hole in the float, or dirt between the valve and seat ,or a worn float valve and seat .You'll want to check the float  height also.

« Last Edit: 01/02/18 at 08:18:42 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/03/18 at 11:20:05

Yea I usually do get it up to temp before changing the oil. Before hurricane  Harvey hit my bike was due for an oil change. I got it up to temp and drained the oil but once it started raining I went inside. I figured I would pour the oil in my bike the next morning once the rain subsided by that never happened. We had about 50+ tornado warnings in my area (one of which actually damaged my house), plus flooding. Also I ended up having a mandatory evacuation on my neighborhood so it wasn’t until recently that I was able to get back home and put the oil in my bike.

But I just pulled the carb and it was dirty. I just bought some cleaner and I’m cleaning it now. Ill let y’all know if it starts after i put it back in. Thanks for all the replies.

IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/07/18 at 07:45:00

It’s running fine now. I guess the carb just needed a good cleaning. Thanks for all the help and replies.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/07/18 at 09:00:16

Good job, rock on,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 06:14:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike has been sitting now it’s dumping gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.