Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back in? (Read 220 times)
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back in?
12/23/17 at 09:24:36

I have a pair of these mufflers and the baffles are out.
I don't know what the baffles look like or if I can get them and put them back in.
Does anyone know about this?

Thanks

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back
Reply #1 - 12/23/17 at 09:41:32

You should be able to buy freeze plugs (they are inserted in auto heads to seal the water passages-any auto parts store) .I believe you need them sized 1 1/4 inches,(can't remember! but they come in all sizes) they can be driven in from the inlet side of the muffler about half way down,with a wooden dowel,(their shaped like a bottle cap ,insert domed end first), forming a baffle.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #2 - 12/23/17 at 09:51:22

Are freeze plugs what the stock HD baffle was?

Usually I see cylindrical devices with a bunch of small holes in them.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 12/23/17 at 12:21:03

The stock H-D baffles is just a round flat solid  plate ,people knock them out or drill them ,either because they think it will make their bike faster or they like noise . The freeze plug idea isn't mine it has been used by a few members on the site ,it's cheap ,and it works .I  think Dave came up with the idea. when you look in the muffler you should see an inner pipe drilled with holes all around and nearly the whole length , theobject is to drive the plug so that is centered in that section of holes, so the exhaust gases are forced to go out the first half of the holes around your new baffle and return through the holes and exit the muffler , if you can look through the muffler the stock baffle is damaged or missing .

IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #4 - 12/24/17 at 13:59:20

If  you're not hot for a science project, you may just want to put them up on craigslist or ebay ("UNRESTRICTED Harley mufflers! More power and LOUD!"...they will sell) and pick up a turnout. For my nickel it wouldn't be worth the time to re-engineer the baffles when turnouts can be had for a song. I got my softail muffler for ten bucks, brand new.

Otherwise I think it would be hard to find the "stock" baffles without getting another set of mufflers.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 12/24/17 at 19:36:59

Rotorhead,Yes  let's lie and say "more power",and louder when you sell the mufflers,  when you can buy a freeze plug for 2-3 bucks and a length of dowel or pipe for a couple more , and drive it down the muffler , a job an 8 year old could to in ten minutes with a bit of adult guidance .Science project? If this sounds hard I hope you have someone to work on your bike.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #6 - 12/25/17 at 04:41:12

I'm going to pop a freeze plug in it, not sell.
Does anybody know for sure what diameter plug?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/25/17 at 05:49:44

It is a 1-1/4" diameter.

Take a flashlight and look down the muffler.  You should see a series of holes in the inner pipe, then there will be a gap without holes, then the holes will start again.  If I remember correctly - there are more holes on one side of the gap than on the other side.  You may also see the remnants of the steel plug that the factory put in.....before the previous owner drilled a hole or knocked it out.

You want to install the freeze plug from the engine (inlet) side, and it will go in easier if you put the flat part of the freeze plug in first and have the formed side on the backside.  Drive it down to the area between the front and rear set of holes.  (This forces the exhaust to go through the holes and into the outer shell of the muffler).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #8 - 12/25/17 at 08:08:35

Thanks Dave.

Just the information I needed.

IP Logged
jenkrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/03/18 at 11:13:56

I may try this too.  My (wife's) Savage blew the guts (I guess it was the baffle) out of the HD muffler going down the highway.  I was following her and saw something kinda orange fly out of the pipe - It was at night and looked cool but I was like 'WTF was THAT?'
Now the bike is loud as nuts and has got a serious low to midrange stumble.  I kinda tuned it out using the idle mix screw, but now it backfires on decel.

Thought we were stuck with it like this because I didn;t want to get into re welding or replacing the whole exhaust - this happened like 2 years ago.

I am glad to see there may be a way to fix this.  What keeps the freeze plug in?  Friction?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/03/18 at 11:17:49

jenkrider wrote on 01/03/18 at 11:13:56:
I may try this too.  My (wife's) Savage blew the guts (I guess it was the baffle) out of the HD muffler going down the highway.  I was following her and saw something kinda orange fly out of the pipe - It was at night and looked cool but I was like 'WTF was THAT?'
Now the bike is loud as nuts and has got a serious low to midrange stumble.  I kinda tuned it out using the idle mix screw, but now it backfires on decel.

Thought we were stuck with it like this because I didn;t want to get into re welding or replacing the whole exhaust - this happened like 2 years ago.

I am glad to see there may be a way to fix this.  What keeps the freeze plug in?  Friction?

The freeze plug may not work for you if the interior pip has disintegrated and blowing pieces out the back of the pipe.  The freeze plug works if the little bulkhead inside the pipe has been knocked out or drilled.

IP Logged
jenkrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/04/18 at 08:31:57

Gotcha,
I will shine a light in there and see what is going on.

IP Logged
JamesThomas
YaBB Newbies

Crazy person

San Francisco bay area
Reply #12 - 01/06/18 at 09:53:44

Wow, talk about synchronicity. I came here today to post this very same question. I just received a beautiful dyna "shorty" muffler off ebay for $22 (free shipping) that the seller said was intact. It wasn't. The baffle plug was drilled out with a 1/16" rim around where the the plate should be.
I needed to know if the plate was solid or had some hoes in it. Now I know it is solid.
The inside diameter of my dyna muffler is 1 3/4" not 1 1/4". Last night when I discovered the missing plug, I sat and wondered what to do. Within arms reach on my desk was a small glass jar with a metal lid (shaped just like a freeze plug) that fits perfectly snug. More synchronicity.
Now all I need is a dowel and someplace to put the seeds that were in the jar.  Smiley

Just as every thought ever thought about a tree is not a tree -- every thought ever thought is not reality.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 01/06/18 at 11:02:03

James,That jar lid might not hold up to the heat over time,and may bend going in ,you should be able to use a freeze plug as they come in many sizes and are made of much thicker metal. I'd really go that way if you want a low cost, strong ,long lasting fix.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 01/06/18 at 11:26:13

JamesThomas wrote on 01/06/18 at 09:53:44:
The inside diameter of my dyna muffler is 1 3/4" not 1 1/4".

Although the inlet size of the muffler is 1-3/4" - the interior baffle pipe with the holes has always been 1-1/4" on the mufflers that I have seen.

I suppose different models might have different size interior pipes. Huh

And I agree with Batman - the interior pile gets red hot when cruising down the highway and does need to be made from a quality material.  However......you won't have any problem knowing when the jar lid decides to give up the challenge.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:47:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back in?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.