Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back in? (Read 220 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back
Reply #15 - 01/06/18 at 12:03:19

I got a pair of Dyna mufflers taken of a brand new bike. The interior diameters, weren't the same. I used the larger one. I assumed it had something to do with the different lengths of the Dyna's header pipes, maybe something to do with balancing back pressure, or something like that. Just guessing though.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
JamesThomas
YaBB Newbies

Crazy person

San Francisco bay area
Reply #16 - 01/06/18 at 12:25:23

Dave wrote on 01/06/18 at 11:26:13:
JamesThomas wrote on 01/06/18 at 09:53:44:
The inside diameter of my dyna muffler is 1 3/4" not 1 1/4".

Although the inlet size of the muffler is 1-3/4" - the interior baffle pipe with the holes has always been 1-1/4" on the mufflers that I have seen.

I suppose different models might have different size interior pipes. Huh
And I agree with Batman - the interior pile gets red hot when cruising down the highway and does need to be made from a quality material.  However......you won't have any problem knowing when the jar lid decides to give up the challenge.

You're right. I took it out into the sun light and got a good look at what was happening and it does taper down inside....and yes, I'll go with a sturdier freeze plug.
Love this forum. Thanks for the helpful comments.   Smiley

The seeds go back in the jar.

Just as every thought ever thought about a tree is not a tree -- every thought ever thought is not reality.
  IP Logged
jenkrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/08/18 at 09:09:09

I installed a freeze plug last night...Upon inspection the interior pipe with holes looked to be mostly intact.  So I drove the plug about halfway in, thus forcing gas into the first holes and out the last holes.  Kinda hard to see that far in there so I guessed.  

Erring on the side of caution, I did drill a few holes in the freeze plug.  I figured this was a good safety measure to keep flow in the case that I didn't go far enough in.  Figured I could always add another plug immediately after the first one if needed, if the holes allowed too much flow.

Fired it up and is much quieter and sounds more like it used to.  Still having pretty major backfiring though (needle jet shimmed with 2 washers and idle screw adjusted already)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/08/18 at 10:16:09

Backfiring can be caused by air leaks.
while running, light a candle and pass it by all of the joints, flickering indicates a leak.

WWW   IP Logged
jenkrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/08/18 at 10:32:36

Verslagen,
Will try this.  This is the first start up of the 'new' engine you may have read about in my gaskets for sale thread.  So it is possible there is a leak around the intake or something like that.  
The bike sat for some months after the old engine died but I don't remember it backfiring this[i] much.
The swap and reasons are a different story, maybe I will write up a separate post.
[/i]

To try and stay on topic here, advice for anyone hesitant is that the plug was really cheap and easy to hammer in.  I used a junk socket and extension to hammer it in.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/08/18 at 12:07:23

don't try the candle trick on the intake if you want to keep your eyebrows.   Shocked

If you haven't cleaned the carb, you should.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:34:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HD Dyna Mufflers65747-94 Can I put baffle back in?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.