Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Humble mod fail: Tell me yours (Read 184 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Humble mod fail: Tell me yours
Reply #15 - 11/20/17 at 21:43:09

You want the aircraft quality aluminum, it has a specific number for aircraft use but old and real tired and can't remember the number , Google it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 11/20/17 at 22:43:33

You'll probably can find 6061, the good stuff has the alloy marked on it.

It will harden to T4 in 3 days if you anneal it.  Use the soap trick.

If you're going to use it as is, it will already be T4.

Bending it makes it harder... hard stuff is brittle.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/21/17 at 02:53:09

I buy metal for important stuff from ONLINE METAL.  They have a huge selection and ship quickly.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Meta...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #18 - 11/21/17 at 06:19:57

stewmills wrote on 11/20/17 at 12:53:14:
I had a similar issue with aluminum flat bar from ACE. Not being a metal guy, I bent and shaped some flat bar for my saddlebag hard mounts. Looked nice, but after a little road test I could see the aluminum cracking at the bend and later read up and realized that you can't do that. So, I had to make set #2 out of steel flat bar.  Lesson learned for me.

I have a specific design I used for a trailer hitch on my BMW to pull a trailer.  I used flat steel stock from my local hardware.  Bent it, welded it, and drilled.  A year or so later, I found a hairline crack in the metal that would have been catastrophic had I not found it.

After that, I will never purchase any metals from local hardwares or box stores for any critical part.

I now always go to the metal suppliers.  Takes more time and not as convenient, but definitely better and safer.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #19 - 11/21/17 at 12:08:46

My little bracket provided an important wake up call for me. I don't have a mechanical background, and have had fun fabricating little projects for the bike, and tuning it.

It was when I was altering the handlebar setup that I really stepped back and thought hard. It was confronting to see the two little hex-heads on the bolts, which are basically all that holds the whole assembly onto the bike.

Adding the risers meant that I needed bolts that were 40mm longer than the the stock bolts for the old style risers, but they are the diameter. So I made my own risers on a lathe to make sure the centre hole accommodated the bolts snugly.

I researched bolt types, because the guy at the hardware supply gave me high-tensile bolts, because that was all he had. I read, however that the stock bolts are 'suspension rated'. I figure that makes sense. If your handlebar bolts are going to fail, then bend is better than break.

I believe Suzuki use their own code #7, whereas in the industry #8.8 is suspension rated. So I ordered and fitted some of those. However, I do still wonder about the fact I had to reduce the size of the hex-head with a grinder to fit the stock clamps - mostly thinking about the way heat can change the qualities of the metal. I've had them on for about 6 months - so far so good.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 11/22/17 at 05:44:24

Dave wrote on 11/21/17 at 02:53:09:
I buy metal for important stuff from ONLINE METAL.  They have a huge selection and ship quickly.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Meta...
---------------------

I'm not far from this place:  http://www.themetalstore.com/

It's less expensive if you pick it up and they have tons of random cuts on the rack when you go in.  Metal shops are very common in most major metropolitan areas.   A much better option than ACE or Lowes, etc.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/24/17 at 09:25:38

I picked up two pieces of three foot long 7/8" sucker rod at the scrap yard for Free. They have aluminum. I got a chunk of stainless two inch. A magnet won't stick, at all.
But, there are no tags to tell you what it's made of or any given place where you will find what you need. But, if you're not in a hurry or you're trying to save money, it's a good place to start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 06:20:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Humble mod fail: Tell me yours

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.