Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modifying the POD filter (Read 58 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Modifying the POD filter
11/17/17 at 02:39:21

This fellow likes to post humorous videos....and his tool selection is intentionally crappy - but the first part shows why POD filters can be a real problem on the CV carb.

The shoulder of the rubber boot can block the vent for the vacuum slide and make the carb impossible to tune.

Ignore his comments on the Lollipop and the washer comments...that is just humor.  But the first part about marking and cutting the boot may be good advice - and if the boot unscrews like the one he uses and your carb is not on the bike.....it looks like is is easy to do.  However - a lot of the pods have the filter and rubber boot molded together and you will not be able to see down the end to the carb - but you may still need to trim the rubber if it blocks the vent(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na6dbH9Mprc

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Re: Modifying the POD filter
Reply #1 - 11/17/17 at 03:54:53

Why not leave the original boot intact?

S40_Filter_002.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/17/17 at 04:13:12

antmanbee wrote on 11/17/17 at 03:54:53:
Why not leave the original boot intact?

That is what I did - but a lot of folks move the battery box and place a POD filter directly on the carb inlet.  I believe they do this more as a "fashion statement", as they have seen other folks doing this on the custom bikes.  The Rat and Bobber look tries to get the bike as light and simple as possible, and the battery is moved to open up the area behind the carb and provide a simpler/lighter look.  I believe the stock air box and filter does a good job on our 30HP engine....and there isn't likely any noticeable increase in HP by adding a POD filter.

I thought this video clearly showed one of the problems that occurs when you use a POD filter on the stock carb, and the video showed how the boot needs to be trimmed to allow air to get to the vents.

I used a large foam filter, and a short section of the original air boot on my Mikuni round slide carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #3 - 11/17/17 at 09:30:40

I removed the airbox for several reasons.
I like the sound of the intake roar.
I wanted to not have sidecovers.

I am sure the stock filter breathes just fine and the length and flow characteristics of the rubber intake are usually optimized by the manufacturer. That is why I almost always try to keep it intact when using a pod like I did in the picture.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 20:13:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Modifying the POD filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.