Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Checking valve clearance by gut feeling only. (Read 284 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Checking valve clearance by gut feeling only.
11/04/17 at 18:07:58

Because checking the valve clearance on the S40 is such an epic pita, I am mulling over in an unused crevice of my mind whether I could eventually get away with simply rocking the rocker back and forth by hand to decide whether I really need to back them off and start from scratch or whether they feel good enough to leave.

The last few times I've set the valves I've tried to get a feeling of what the right clearance feels like.

Just canvassing opinions on this.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Checking valve clearance by gut feeling only.
Reply #1 - 11/04/17 at 18:28:46

I'd call it a skilled hand that can do that.
Before you try that, lift on the adjuster and press the oil out of the cam follower to cam.
There is a less pure guesswork approach.
The thread pitch on the adjusters means X turns = Y thousandths.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #2 - 11/05/17 at 09:22:12

"Checking valve clearance by gut feeling only."

That's like the "butt dyno"  Wink

(every time I wash & polish my bike I swear it runs faster/better)

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 11/06/17 at 00:42:13

I'm surprised that there's not much response to this, I would have expected a whole bunch of 'sure, I've been doing that for 30 years' type of comments.

It's just that the nerves in the fingers are extremely sensitive to vibration even the types of micro vibration just feeling an apparently smooth fabric, just stirring pasta gently with a wooden spoon I can tell just by how the pasta hits the spoon whether it's cooked or not and so I thought that it would be pretty easy to tell.

How about this, I know that too tight is going to be bad due to burned valves but how much play would one need to put into the valves to do cause very bad things to happen?

For example using the 0.08—0.13 specs how bad would it be if the valves were at .2? .3?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/06/17 at 04:00:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/04/17 at 18:28:46:
I'd call it a skilled hand that can do that.
Before you try that, lift on the adjuster and press the oil out of the cam follower to cam.
There is a less pure guesswork approach.
The thread pitch on the adjusters means X turns = Y thousandths.

Look in tech.
It's been done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/06/17 at 04:14:25

I don't really understand (or support) the topic of this thread.

Using feeler gauges to check the clearance is not all that difficult, and it assures the job is done correctly.  If you bend the feeler gauge into a Z shape they are pretty easy to get into the small space.

Attempting to adjust the valves by hand/feel is iffy - especially since you will only be able to confirm when the "tightest" valve is touching the rocker.......the other valve could be anywhere.  If you don't have them adjusted the same - you get 2 "ticks" instead of just 1 tick when the engine is running.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 11/06/17 at 05:06:36

More clearance?
Eau de Savage asked:
"For example using the 0.08—0.13 specs how bad would it be if the valves were at .2? .3?"

The analogy I used when teaching mechanics, was to think of the rocker to valve like hammer to steel. If you take a hammer, hold it very close to a piece of steel, and move the hammer, the steel moves with little trauma to the surface. If you move the hammer a distance away form the steel, and move with the same force and speed, you are more likely to deform the surface of the steel.
Valve clearances are determined to allow for almost no clearance when the valve (which is exposed to combustion heat at the large, heat absorbing end) expands/elongates.
Short answer, loose valves soon become very loose valves.

At Honda school we were taught to use two feeler gauges, or one long one folded over, on bikes with a forked rocker arm. This cancels out false readings caused by the rocker arm rocking sideways on the shaft.

Speaking of Honda school, I remember one of the guys saying that the way he adjusted valves on a twin cam 450 Honda (a bit of a PITA), was to get the bike running, loosen the clearance til the bike rattled, then tighten til the bike was quiet. Can't remember what the teacher threw at him, but it got his attention  Grin

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 11/06/17 at 05:24:36

I'm with Dave on this one. If you're not going to do the job correctly (which is easy), why bother doing it at all. You have an equal chance of making worse than better. Take the 15 minutes to check it proper.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 11/06/17 at 06:35:12

Yup , Just do it right

I think he might have read a old BSA manual like the one I have.
It says the valve adjustment should be "Lil to Nil" ,   I still used a feeler gauge !

« Last Edit: 11/06/17 at 12:23:47 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 11/07/17 at 17:25:32

Ruttly, is that a technical term? Google won't give me an accurate number for "Lil to nil"! LOL

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 11/07/17 at 20:13:50

Technical term , no. I have several very old manuals and they are fun to read because there is nothing technical about the old bikes. Put it together,if it starts ride it , if not try again !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 11/07/17 at 20:53:53

I like to whistle past the graveyard...........! Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 11/08/17 at 06:51:55

LiL to NiL is a British term "little to none"  Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #13 - 11/12/17 at 20:12:20

OK, as I said I was just canvassing opinions. I guess the idea was that I was making the assumption that they clearance would more likely get looser rather than tighter and that if I could get used to what a .13 gap felt like that if I felt similar then I'd be good to go and if it was tighter it would be more obvious. But I have been doing it right and will continue to do so.

I had a bmw 650 LS once and took it to my mechanic who was a 1970's Czeck speedway champion or something. Anyway, I was having some handling problems and the bike was brand new, he walked around it eyeballing it carefully and said in his thick accent 'Frame iz bendt', I took it back to the BM workshop and told them the frame is bent which they refused to believe.

They put it on their 500,000 jig and informed me that the frame was bent. I wanted a new bike but they refused and instead gave me a new frame. Which seemed like more work and expense than simply replacing the bike.

Also when I worked  as a colour lab technician I could make adjustments by eye that were more accurate than people could generally do using a densitometer.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 11/12/17 at 21:16:00

If our bikes had a single valve per cylinder you could get pretty close doing it the way you describe. However on the savage we have two valves, therefore one valve could be .050" the other .004" and it would feel just the same as if both were .004".

I think, as someone mentioned, it would be more accurate using two feeler gauges since the rocker shaft must have some clearance and therefore some variation is probable from side to side.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:00:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Checking valve clearance by gut feeling only.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.