Front flat! (Read 78 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Front flat!
10/23/17 at 15:19:11

So this has never happened to me...was out on a ride a lunchtime...canyon up the road from me that always puts a smile on my face
Anyway, I turned around and started down. About 3/4 of the way down I was laying it over through a sweeper on the inside lane and the front end starts to feel really weird...like I was trying to counter steer and it was just being a slug...slowed down and pulled onto the gravel pullout and checked to see if the wheels were solid. Started up again and it was obvious it was not handling right. Pulled over again and realized the front tire was flat!

So I put the flashers on and proceed very gingerly down about 1/4 mile to the town at the bottom and pull into a gas station... swiped my card in the air pump for 4 minutes of air (that still ticks me off). As I was filling it up the air was rushing out...bummer.

So I reach for my phone and discover I'd left it in my office. Go inside and borrow an actual landline phone and called to have someone pick me up and take me back to the office.
Luckily my insurance had roadside assistance and I called for a tow and had them haul it home.

I'd never replaced a motorcycle tire before but after getting it home I figured I'd try...what's the worst that can happen? if I screwed up I'd just take it in for the change/balance...anyway, I used the zip tie trick to install the new tube on the tire and it was as easy as pie...went on to balance the wheel and I'm pretty sure it's balanced better than when the shop did it (twice!)

More than anything just happy the tire didn't roll off the rim as I was dropping into that turn!!! That would have been a bad day...as it was it was just long.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Front flat!
Reply #1 - 10/23/17 at 15:27:20

that's a lucky break.   I got a flat on a front bicycle tire and slid out a lot slower than a motorbike, still no fun

Never hurts to kick the tires and see how they feel.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #2 - 10/24/17 at 13:53:35

What did you find in the tire that made it go flat?

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 10/24/17 at 14:27:02

My suggestion:

Purchase a Michelin Pilot Activ front tire and new tube and rim protector.  Then remove wheel from bike and have local dealer install & balance. These newer tires are stiffer on purpose, and thus much harder to hand install.

Well worth the money !!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 10/24/17 at 15:00:59

The tires definitely had air!
I had filled them maybe 2 days before (30psi) and they had held air for the entire summer...it was weird that it gave out that quickly...

When I removed the tire and inflated the tube there were 2 holes (think snake bite) running along the side of the tube (near the centerline of the tire)...snake bite usually means a pinch but they weren't typical fer sure...

I went over the inside of the tire itself with my fingers and even stuck some wool in and ran it around to make sure there wasn't anything poking through...couldn't find anything

As far as buying another tire I'm not gonna do that since this one only has maybe 500 miles on it (pirelli RT66) and the new tube was replaced with a "Heavy Duty" tube...i must admit tho'...when I replaced the tires in the spring the placed that mounted them used the old tube...probably not a great idea... Tongue

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/24/17 at 15:06:30

You don't know exactly what caused it to go down yet do you?
Gotta air up the tube..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 10/24/17 at 15:16:41

I did air it up...2 holes...where/why they happened is the question...nothing at all in the tire...it was almost as if the valve stem core gave out and the pinch may have resulted with the sudden loss of air and rolling down to the gas station???
beats me man...just a theory...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/24/17 at 15:40:54

If the holes are not where spokes are, wasn't the liner.
If you let it get low and the nut on your stem was tight, it may have pulled at it.

I think bot said that nut is supposed to be loose after it's aired up.
I didn't ask why
Now would be a good time for an explanation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 10/24/17 at 18:20:58

JOG ,I think that was me . I've heard that if the tire slips on the rim ,say during a hard stop ie.(or on an off road bike with lowered tire pressure) that if the nut is tight the valve stem could be ripped from the tube and cause a sudden and complete deflation .If the nut is loosened the valve stem may twist to the side and may even be sliced but deflate at a much slower rate ,which might not be as dangerous ,as it may allow you to get to the shoulder of the road before the tire has a chance to jump off the rim.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/24/17 at 18:32:46

Best keep it aired up..
I don't want either of those options.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 17:11:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front flat!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.