Savage Top Speed (Read 417 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Savage Top Speed
08/26/07 at 09:54:07

What is the top speed on your Savage?. I have done the mods listed below and I am surprised at the top end of the Savage. I say this because I had a brave day (or foolish) and wound it up to 93 mph. It still had some more but I ran out of clear road. It was a bit wobbly but not too bad.
 I know Lancer built a "Super Savage" with all the mods that did 105mph. I have the standard speedo and the larger Dunlop tyre. Standard buckhorns and a windshield, everything else is standard too. Let me know your experience. I am very curious how close the Savage gets to the "Ton".

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Savage Top Speed
Reply #1 - 08/26/07 at 09:58:36

search:   "ton"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 08/26/07 at 15:40:23

Seen 93mph twice on my '02 which was enough for me. The four speed has a slightly lower top gear so should get a higher top speed when compared to a five speed. Wind resistance seems to be the main problem if you are trying to get to the ton mark.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 08/26/07 at 16:35:24

I hit 85 on the south bound Harbor Freeway when my eyeballs started rattling -- so I backed down to speed of traffic . . . 80.

I have no problem with getting up to and holding speed of traffic anywhere in So.Cal. -- I have absolutely no need to go any faster.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/26/07 at 16:45:09

Keep in mind too that the total mass which the bike must push down the road is a major factor.  I know that my Savage ... REX ...  has to push pretty hard to get my 208 lbs (this week) moving and up to speed.

350 lb bike + 208 lb dead weight sitting on Rex's back = 558 lbs.

I do not remember the power  required to move a pound the required distance in a given amount of time that would equal one horsepower, but  ...  anyway, if you only weigh 147 lbs then it takes a lot less power to move you down the road at a given speed than it takes to move my fat laden squatty body.

This little book I found at the Northern Tool store, "Pocket REF", by Thomas Glover, says that Horsepower  to raise water =
gallons per minute x Total head in feet, and all of that divided by 3960.

That just makes everything as clear as mud for me.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 08/26/07 at 16:51:24

For gods sake! This is a bicycle, why are we trying to get to the "ton"?
I got up to 75mph once that was enough. I've done the usual mods to my machine, but that was for improved acceleration at normal speed levels.
Mine has booming acceleration now. The machine has only 1 cylinder like my lawnmower. This lawnmower can beat most cars and Harleys.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #6 - 08/26/07 at 16:54:05

Got it up to 85 and decided that was enough for me.  I actually didn't realize I was going that fast until I looked down.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/26/07 at 17:06:01

Is this a sweet machine or what ???????

Top speed is not the end of all tlhings, but just one of many indicators of what it is and what it can do.  It is certainly one of the slower motorcycles in the world today, but my goodness it is so much fun to ride.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #8 - 08/26/07 at 17:13:13

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
For gods sake! This is a bicycle, why are we trying to get to the "ton"?

Because my lawnmower is not nearly as much fun on the highway.

Precisely because its a little bike than CAN almost hit the ton without too much trouble or mods.

Because its fun to see what she can do.
Cheesy

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/26/07 at 17:23:21

On my 95 savage i it 99 or 100 on Highway 1, its completly stock, and towards the end i was going down hill.

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #10 - 08/26/07 at 17:28:45

First time I hit the super slab was this weekend and the fastest I had this bike going was then. Tried to keep it at 65 but it crept up to 70 with out my noticing. I did give it a bit of throttle at 70 and the beast felt like it wanted to rocket so I backed down quickly. I have no idea of the top end. This is a 96 stock with no power mods. All I know is it fun to ride and after I install the jets, k&n cone, dyna and shave the spacer I think it will be a lot faster then I will ride it.  Grin HAve all the parts just waiting for the cold to kick in.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/26/07 at 18:15:32

Strafford_Guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
First time I hit the super slab was this weekend and the fastest I had this bike going was then. Tried to keep it at 65 but it crept up to 70 with out my noticing. I did give it a bit of throttle at 70 and the beast felt like it wanted to rocket so I backed down quickly. I have no idea of the top end. This is a 96 stock with no power mods. All I know is it fun to ride and after I install the jets, k&n cone, dyna and shave the spacer I think it will be a lot faster then I will ride it.  Grin HAve all the parts just waiting for the cold to kick in.

'
Why wait?  Do it now and enjoy the new perkiness now!   Grin

IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #12 - 08/26/07 at 18:25:33

Lancer I have been asking myself that same question for a while now.  Grin. Think I should just get to it. Just sort of hestiant I guess.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
cowboyupdjcarl
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/26/07 at 20:25:45

When I bought the bike I took it out on the highway here in Kansas.
It was stock with a small windshield. I am 6 foot and 220lbs. It hit 80-85 without a problem, Returned to the dealer and bought it!

Then I COMPLETELY de baffled the stock muffler, just one huge megaphone and it hit 95!

I put on the Sportster muffler which is a straight through glasspack BUT it is shorter than stock and it slowed back down to 80-85.

Been riding on the HD muffler and played with jetting and tuning and such and cannot get more than the 80-85.

Now the wife can run it 80+ all day as she is a foot shorter and 80lbs lighter.
It runs 70 no problem and she is comfortable at that speed and we ride well together. She sets the pace and I just aim her in the right direction!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 08/26/07 at 21:08:55

Hey, if she likes the HD muffler then leave it on there.  Just be sure the jetting if correct and tuned to avoid any lean conditions.  Just read the plug.
Keep in mind to that not all HD mufflers are created equal.  There will be a difference between one from an 883 sporty and one of the big twin models.

Stafford...hey dude.  There is nothing I have ever done that was more fun than flying low and fast.  At the time  and in a war zone, there were few if any rules but it sure was a blast.  Riding a Savage through some twisties is a bit similar and the closest I will ever get to that type of flying again so I have to settle for 2 wheels and one cylinder.  
The basic mod's are easy and cost very little but the return on investment is just great.  Don't worry about top speed, just think of the fun going through the gears and hearing the song of a healthy single cylinder ... at a time like that, life is good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 06:35:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Top Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.