Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Front Tire Question
10/15/17 at 12:35:32

I'm ready for new front rubber on my '02 and have been looking at the Shinko brand. The two choices that are available locally are the 712 or the 777 models. Any recommendations? I've a J+P cycle just a few miles away and they have both styles in stock along with a Dunlop.
 My next question is how hard it it to swap front tires or should I just let a dealer do it?
Thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front Tire Question
Reply #1 - 10/15/17 at 12:50:21

Rear tire is a pain.
Front, not so bad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 10/15/17 at 13:34:32

Already replaced the rear with a Metzer 880 a few years ago. Had a shop do the job and they pinched the tube which gave me a flat about 60 miles out on a ride.
 I won a $50.00 gift card at the local Harley dealer so I'm seeing if they could order me a tire from J+P Cycle. Both stores are in the same shopping complex at Destination Daytona but J+P won't take the Harley gift card.
I'll probably swap the tires myself, just need some soapy water.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #3 - 10/15/17 at 14:04:18

When I checked a couple of weeks ago JP was way more expensive. I got a set of 712s from bike bandit, was the cheapest I could find. Got IRC tubes and kenda rim strips also

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/15/17 at 14:12:42

Remember to order the balance beads at the same time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 10/15/17 at 16:13:55

JOG thanks for the reminder to get the beads, how do they work? Right now the front rim has small strips of lead wrapped around two spokes for balance.
 Antman, J+P has the Shinko tires on sale for around $55.00 and with no shipping it seems to be a good enough deal for me. It will give me an excuse to wander around Destination Daytona which is a pretty cool mall for motorheads.
 So should it be a 777 or 712 for the front tire?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/15/17 at 16:17:34

I'm very pleased with the beads in the rear tire. No sign of imbalance. I've had it wound out several times and never a feeling of it bouncing.
They are expensive, but no special equipment required for balancing the wheel.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #7 - 10/15/17 at 18:45:06

On a set of 712s for my Guzzi it took little weight to balance, in fact the rear took no weight at all.
I always check the rim with no tire to see where the heavy spot is and how much out of balance it is and mount the tire accordingly.
I paid $46 for my front on the s40 but it was the rear that was quite a bit more at JP than what I paid.
With two tires I had no shipping but with one tire I probably would have shipping, so $55 is not bad.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/16/17 at 02:05:55

If you have never removed a motorcycle tire and tube from the rim and replaced it, and you don't have the tools, and you have nobody to help you with your first one......then take the tire/wheel assembly off the bike and take it to the shop.  Let them balance it - if you want to add beads you can....but it probably isn't necessary on a wheel that is properly balanced when the tire was mounted.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #9 - 10/16/17 at 05:41:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/15/17 at 16:17:34:
I'm very pleased with the beads in the rear tire. No sign of imbalance. I've had it wound out several times and never a feeling of it bouncing.
They are expensive, but no special equipment required for balancing the wheel.

I recently changed the tires on my SYM 150.
You don't need special equipment to balance the tires -
I just placed the wheel over a horizontal rod (use the axle or anything smaller in a vice if you want) on it's own bearings and let the heavy side go to the bottom. I used 1/4 oz. stick-on weights to balance the assembly.
Easily balances within 1/4 oz and rides better than new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPGZ66bouv8

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 10/16/17 at 07:45:09

Tires come with a small circle on the side wall which tells you the light side of the tire and should be lined up with the valve stem to aid balance.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/16/17 at 09:08:00

Pull the valve core, Deflate completely,break the bead on both sides, hang the wheel on something that keeps it from coming to you, reach around, press the bead into the deepest part of the rim, keep sliding your hands around bringing all the slack to you. Getting the bead over the rim is easy from there.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #12 - 10/16/17 at 09:10:54

I recommend checking the wheel without the tire to see where the heavy spot is and then mark it. It is not always at the valve stem.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 10/16/17 at 11:25:25

I've replaced spokes and tires on a old Ducati which was interesting. I'll give it a try, what could go wrong after all  Cheesy.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 10/16/17 at 17:53:05

I ran 712's on the rear and liked them. Currently running the 230 Tourmaster front and back. Never tried the 712 front because I read the straight groove in the middle can increase the side to side effect when on grooved pavement and also that it was difficult to balance. Just what I read though, not my personal experience. The Shinko 230's are running great.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/19/24 at 01:50:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Tire Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.