Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
belt squeak and rear pulley play (Read 1750 times)
roosky
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
belt squeak and rear pulley play
12/06/09 at 17:04:16

I've got a 2008 S40, totally stock, with 7600 miles on it. I've had problems with belt squeak and adjusted it many times, following the little user manual and advice from a Harley friend with a belt. The latest problem for the last few hundred miles is a bad squeak that caused me to look at everything real hard and notice that the rear wheel pulley has some play in it if I grab it by both hands and rock it back and forth. I have ALWAYS tightened the axle nut to specs with a torque wrench when messing with the belt adjustment. I tightened it a little more to see if the pulley would lose some play but it didn't. I think the play in the pulley is related to the squeak in the belt. Advice about this would be real welcome.

Roosky

2008 S40, black, stock, 11,433 miles
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: belt squeak and rear pulley play
Reply #1 - 12/06/09 at 17:22:01

There are rubber dampers that are inbetween the pulley and the hub.
And there's a bearing between the pulley and the axle.
Could be the bearing is wore out, could be your dampers are too loose.

also it could be that your bike is bent.

My method for checking the belt alignment is different from the rest.
Lift the rear, take it out of gear and spin the wheel by hand.  watch the belt if it tracks to one side readjust to center it.  then reverse the direction of spin and recheck the belt.

Now with a wobly pulley, this might not work.  But I've done it on 3 bikes, one I'd adjusted incorrectly and it squeaked and another that was brought to me squeaking.  One more that I took completely apart and put back together with no problems.

WWW   IP Logged
roosky
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #2 - 12/06/09 at 17:57:16

There's no mention of rubber dampers in the dumb little book, but I'll look for them and see what they look like.

Could a bearing be shot after 7600 miles???
Could a bike be bent after 7600 miles, with no crashes and no drops???

Thanx for the swift reply.

Roosky

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 12/06/09 at 19:28:36

roosky wrote on 12/06/09 at 17:57:16:
There's no mention of rubber dampers in the dumb little book, but I'll look for them and see what they look like.

Could a bearing be shot after 7600 miles???
Could a bike be bent after 7600 miles, with no crashes and no drops???

Thanx for the swift reply.

Roosky

Dampers part number 4 on the fiche here are called 64651-31001
ABSRBR,SHOCK RR HUB:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...
Click on the diagram to enlarge.

FSO
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 12/07/09 at 21:17:36

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
roosky
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #5 - 12/08/09 at 17:45:17

Thanks for the great tips on wheel alignment/belt adjustment, but I have a related question. How much play is normal if you grab the rear pulley with both hands and rock it back and forth (alternately pushing on one side while pulling on the other)? Should there be any?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 12/08/09 at 19:15:16

roosky wrote on 12/08/09 at 17:45:17:
Thanks for the great tips on wheel alignment/belt adjustment, but I have a related question. How much play is normal if you grab the rear pulley with both hands and rock it back and forth (alternately pushing on one side while pulling on the other)? Should there be any?

Roo,

I just checked mine (my bike is in my signature).  With the belt on and at normal tension, mine wiggles a little less than 1/16" (estimated) as measured at the edge of the pulley.  My bike has 10,000 miles on it.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
roosky
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #7 - 12/16/09 at 14:31:27

Digger:

Thanks for the reply. Mine moves about the same amount, and that was actually measuring it, so I guess that's not what's causing all the squeeking.

Roosky

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 12/16/09 at 19:29:36

Roosky

I put a new bearing in and it still wiggles.  Now I use Black Wax Shoe Polish  (in the can)
Makes the belt look good and no more squeek.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
roosky
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #9 - 12/17/09 at 18:03:45

MMRanch

What do you put the shoe polish on with, a toothbrush, rag, or ?
And do you just do the sides?

Roosky

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 12/17/09 at 19:30:07

MMRanch wrote on 12/16/09 at 19:29:36:
Roosky

I put a new bearing in and it still wiggles.  Now I use Black Wax Shoe Polish  (in the can)
Makes the belt look good and no more squeek.

I don't think a fresh bearing is going to keep the rear pulley from having some play in it.

It rides suspended by rubber dampers.  There is going to be some movement, I'm pretty sure.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
WEZTIE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #11 - 01/03/10 at 19:16:00

I has this problem recently and the shop did everything they could to align everything up and it still squeaked! They dusted chalk powder on it as well but made it worse! In the end they smeared a little rubber grease on about 4-5 teeth on the belt. A couple of revs and the squeak vanished never to come back .. 200km anyway. I now have bought a tube of silicon grease for the garage if it happens again !

IP Logged
FL Native
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deland, Florida
Reply #12 - 05/12/10 at 05:05:55

roosky wrote on 12/17/09 at 18:03:45:
MMRanch

What do you put the shoe polish on with, a toothbrush, rag, or ?
And do you just do the sides?

Roosky

I went for a aride yesterday, and on the way home I heard a squeek (coming from somewhere on the left side either @ my boot or behind it) I have only heard this once before, after riding a short distance on a dirt road and it did not do it when I first took off. Should I try this "shoe polish" trick? BTW, I washed her yesterday, making sure I rinsed the belt really well (thinking this may help) PLEASE advise, as I'd like to head off any potential real problems.   Thanks,  Chris

This is probably in the wrong catagory, but could not figure out how to quote in different catagory  Sad

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem
  IP Logged
WEZTIE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #13 - 05/12/10 at 23:22:50

I had , and still have this problem with the drive belt. when it gets dry it gives a squeak especially when the power is on.  The local Suzuki agent tried everything , and it was when they put a little bit of rubber grease on the drive belt that the squeak disappeared. I have bought some silicon grease which can be used with rubber, and smear it on 1/2 doz teeth on the drive belt, and that fixes it for a while. Its not serious so long as everything is aligned properly.

IP Logged
macman3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central NC
Reply #14 - 05/14/10 at 21:34:27

Suzi,  I had this squeaky problem too.  You wanna make sure the belt is aligned on the front and rear pulleys.  This is very important and there is much information on this site about how to do that.  Also, need to make certain the belt tension is correct.  The way I got rid of my squeaky was to clean the belt real good and then put some Armor All "original protectant" on it.  That is the same stuff I put on the seat and other rubber/plastic/vinyl parts.  It seems to last a long time and I suppose its good for it.  The shoe polish wax I haven't tried but that sounds like a good idea too.  Good luck and safe riding.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/19/24 at 00:30:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt squeak and rear pulley play

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.