Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RPM's bottom out when going in to 1st gear (Read 345 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: RPM's bottom out when going in to 1st gear
Reply #15 - 07/27/17 at 08:46:53

Maybe try spraying some WD40 in the brake switch.  Had the same problem on my Ninja, and after I sprayed it and worked the switch a little it started working and has been good for over a year now.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/27/17 at 09:07:36

tested the battery. At Rest, it measures 12 volts. With the motor running and in 1st gear, it measures 11.33 volts. Withing seconds of shutting down the bike it immediately goes back to 12 volts.

Not that good.

That the sidestand APPEARS to be modified is no comfort.

A crappy job could be the problem.

The battery needs checked out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/27/17 at 09:38:13

troyrr wrote on 07/27/17 at 08:42:21:
Ok. I've tested the battery. At Rest, it measures 12 volts. With the motor running and in 1st gear, it measures 11.33 volts. Withing seconds of shutting down the bike it immediately goes back to 12 volts.

Well that isn't right.....when the bike is running and the charging system is working - the voltage should be up over 13 volts....even over 14 volts is normal.

I don't know at what voltage the igniter/black box system stops working - but that could be your problem.

Can you leave your charger on the bike as you start it and see what happens?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #18 - 07/27/17 at 16:11:42

It seems as if you are off track with the advice that is being given to you. Your responses dont match advice. You need to keep on track and follow advise without jumping around. Then you dont know where you are at.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 07/27/17 at 16:12:55

It sounds like you need a new battery,or you need to test the alternator,with the bike running voltage has to be higher than 12 ( 11.33 ain't cutting it)or you can't recharge the battery, and 12v on the battery at rest sounds low ,it should be 12.3 - 12.5 if fully charged.Either your battery isn't accepting the voltage (weak cell?) or the bike isn't generating enough voltage .( you can bypass the clutch switch by connecting the two wires together,but if your able to start the bike the clutch switch is working,other wise the starter wouldn't run).Charge the battery,make sure the cables are clean and tight, don't forget the ground cable where it bolts to the motor (just above the oil level site glass) then try testing again.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/02/17 at 08:23:54

Tested the Rectifier with a multimeter. There are no problems.

Tested the Stator and I'm getting resistance.

If the training videos I've watched are right, that means the Stator is bad. This would explain the problems with the battery voltage dropping and not charging. It could also explain why the bike runs rough when in gear, and why the headlight is so dim.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #21 - 08/02/17 at 09:07:27

troyrr wrote on 07/27/17 at 08:42:21:
Ok. I've tested the battery. At Rest, it measures 12 volts. With the motor running and in 1st gear, it measures 11.33 volts. Withing seconds of shutting down the bike it immediately goes back to 12 volts.

At 12 VDC the battery may be toast. At 11.33 VDC I'm surprised the ECU has enough power to keep the bike running.

I'd put the battery on a charger to confirm that it can charge to, and hold, 12.8VDC.

The output of the electrical system should be around 13.5 VDC at idle and 14VDC or higher at 3,000 rpm.

At 11.33VDC you have a charging issue for sure. If you are handy with a multi meter it's actually fairly easy to figure out what isn't working.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/02/17 at 09:22:08

When testing the Stator coil I am getting NO resistance.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #23 - 08/02/17 at 09:39:47

Each of the yellow wires should have no continuity to ground. There should however be continuity between the three stator wires. I would also check the output (in VAC) from each lead to ground. At 5,000 rpm you should see 100VAC at each yellow wire.

If that checks out OK you can move on to the regulator / rectifier. To test the Regulator / Rectifier remove the R/R from the bike so you can check the internal rectifier diodes. Put your digital meter on diode check and follow the meter test instructions. Check positive wire to yellows wires then reverse the test leads. You will get no continuity one way and about .5 volt drop fwd continuity the other. Now repeat the test negative wire to yellows. You should get the opposite results for no continuity and fwd continuity with a .5 volt drop.

There is not test that I know of that specifically tests the regulator portion of the R/R other then checking everything else  - and if the above tests check out OK, but you still have low output, then you are safe to assume that the regulator is at fault.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/02/17 at 12:09:11

troyrr wrote on 08/02/17 at 09:22:08:
When testing the Stator coil I am getting NO resistance.

This is where telling exactly where your test leads are connected would help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 08/02/17 at 13:36:14

again the stater is tested by by placing the leads between two of the yellow leads ( three readings) there should be 1 0r 2 ohm resistance (the resistance of the coil wires) ,no resistance means you have an open  circuit (bad coil).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/02/17 at 13:57:28

No resistance or continuity?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/02/17 at 15:14:11

batman wrote on 08/02/17 at 13:36:14:
again the stater is tested by by placing the leads between two of the yellow leads ( three readings) there should be 1 0r 2 ohm resistance (the resistance of the coil wires) ,no resistance means you have an open  circuit (bad coil).

Actually if you have an open circuit on 1 branch, it'll read 2x ohms because it's reading the other 2 branches.
Or if you have less than an Ohm, then you have a short.
You should have 3 equal readings for the 3 branches.
And an infinite or open circuit on any of the 3 branches and ground.

And give the ohm meter a chance to settle on a reading, measuring thru a coil is weird.

WWW   IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/05/18 at 14:07:16

Ok, I got it figured out. I know it's been a long time since I updated, but with the wife, kids, work, wife's work, my time and budget are both limited.

Anyway, the main problem was the fact that the engine was missing a gasket just below the jug. Gone. As in, it wasn't installed bu the previous mechanic/owner.

I was getting low compression, around 90 psi, so I figured it must be the piston rings. Then i thought, since I'm going to be doing the piston rings I might as well install a new Cam Chain, and clean up and grind the valves. So I did.

Once I got the engine apart I realized there was no gasket!!! I already had the full OEM gasket set, so replacing it was no problem. Actually, swapping out the cam chain was a lot harder. Cleaning the valves were actually fun by comparison.

Anyway, being a total noob at this I am pretty proud of myself and I just wanted to thank all you guys who contribute and moderate this site for all your help. Also, Youtube was a big help. I think my next project might be getting my hands on a bigger tool box.

The bike runs great. I've gone through the valve calibration enough times, and re-jetting to be comfortable with the process. Thanks again, fellas!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 10/05/18 at 20:58:29

Awesome!

IP Logged