Pswartz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nebraska
Tire change
04/23/19 at 09:52:05

Hi All,
I need new tires.  A buddy suggested that I buy them online and take my wheels off and take them and the new tires to shop to have them mounted/balanced.  
My question is, what kind of stand should I use/make to hold the bike while I have the wheels off?
Or should I just take the bike to the shop and let them pull/replace?
I not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined and do enjoy some degree of "DIY", but, if the risk out weighs the reward then I'm fine with someone else doing the work.
Thanks again for your input and suggestions.

Patrick

2004 Stock Savage, 1996 Savage rebuild project, 2000 Intruder 1400 rebuild project
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Tire change
Reply #1 - 04/23/19 at 17:11:42

I've built a little wood stand that requires a good bit of muscle (my son) to get the bike up. I need to buy some sort of motorcycle lift. However, once you have the bike in the position where you can remove the tires it is quite simple to remove them both. The front tire is no sweat, extremely easy to remove and put back on. The rear tire is a bit more work to remove and a lot more work to reinstall (it is a pain in the backside if you are doing it on your own, not too bad if you have a helper). Probably the most difficult part once you have the tires back on is adjusting the belt just right so it is straight, not too tight and not too loose. I mark the belt adjuster on each side to indicate how it was before I take the rear tire off, but even then it might take 3 or 4 fine tuning tries before I am satisfied.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/23/19 at 17:38:16

I use a come along in the shop and make two trips.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/23/19 at 18:12:41

Patrick:

I change all my own tires - been doing it for nearly 50 years.  I started with bicycle tires, then my dirt bikes....and eventually my street bikes.

I was lucky enough to get lessons on how to do it - I can't imagine trying to do it without having someone show you how to do it the first time.  Even in this internet age with YouTube videos....it isn't the same as getting a hands on lesson.

Even after fifty years.....getting the tube in and valve stem through the hole is a challenge with the overly stiff modern tires.

You have any biker friends who would be willing to help you  get the wheel on/off the first time?

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pswartz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nebraska
Reply #4 - 04/23/19 at 18:20:43

This may be more than I'm wanting to tackle for this go-round.  Will probably just let the shop do it, they have the equipment/experience.  
But you guys raise a new question ...

Tube or Tubeless? Or do I have a choice?
The bike has tubes on it right now.

Cheers!

2004 Stock Savage, 1996 Savage rebuild project, 2000 Intruder 1400 rebuild project
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/23/19 at 18:37:33

No choice with stock rims. You need tubes.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/23/19 at 18:38:06

Oh, and possibly a new rim strip.

IP Logged
Pswartz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nebraska
Reply #7 - 04/23/19 at 20:21:18

Well... guess it is back to the drawing board... I've only been looking at/for tubeless tires.
I was hoping to get away from tubes.
Looking through a bunch of the mod pics here I really like the GS550L wheels that some folks have used.  I had an 81 GS550L and wouldn't mind finding another at some point.
At this point though I just want to get the bike on the road, so no major mods in the near future (other than adding a tach).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/23/19 at 20:34:38

Buy tubeless tire
Install
With tube

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/23/19 at 20:54:45

The early GS550L rims also require tubes.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/24/19 at 03:23:33

Pswartz wrote on 04/23/19 at 20:21:18:
Well... guess it is back to the drawing board... I've only been looking at/for tubeless tires.

Tubeless tires work with tubes.....and it may be impossible to find tubeless tires these days.  They make tire tubeless so they can be used on both tube and tubeless rims.

If you only ride 1,000 miles a year - buy less expensive tires as they will get old and hard long before you wear out an expensive tire.  If you ride 10,000 miles a year......then you will get your money out of a more expensive tire.  Generally you can wear out 2 back tires for each front tire....so if you don't ride many miles the front tire is likely to be old before you wear the tread off it.  Most folks don't like riding on tires that have been on the bike for more than 5 years....the rubber gets hard and doesn't stick to the pavement as well.

Here is a link to the new Tire Thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cytocatlady
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 04/29/19 at 06:27:19

Dave wrote on 04/23/19 at 18:12:41:
I was lucky enough to get lessons on how to do it - I can't imagine trying to do it without having someone show you how to do it the first time.  Even in this internet age with YouTube videos....it isn't the same as getting a hands on lesson.

My hubs tried to do a tire change on Friday afternoon and it was terrible. We both watched a few videos and it seemed pretty straightforward. Not so much for us! There was so much cussing and sweating and frustration. After much scratching of the rim (even with the plastic rim shield doodads) and using all the brute force he had in him, he finally got the darn tire on the rim. He vowed to never try doing this again. In the end, we still had to take it to a tire place to get the thing inflated (no compressor at home). After seeing him go through all that, I have no confidence that I can do it for my bike.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 04/29/19 at 06:41:01

Google "Zip Tie Tire Change" method.  I'm not saying it's completely painless, but I think it helps with stiffer street tires.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/29/19 at 09:31:19

I do everything I can to not hire someone for anything.
I Pay for tire swaps.
Could I learn how to get the job done?
Maybe, but I have other things that need done, and a banged up body, so, I don't want to experience that learning curve just to save a few bucks a year..
If you're determined to learn, start on the front.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 04/29/19 at 10:38:27

Regardless, the rear is a beotch.  The front is easier by far.
Having tools will the rear possible w/o cursing... much.
The harbor freight stuff can be made adequate for the job.
But there are other ways to skin a cat.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 21:06:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.