Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Annoying carburettor behaviour. (Read 221 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Annoying carburettor behaviour.
06/06/17 at 17:27:14

OK, I do understand that blipping the throttle causes the engine to die because it's going fast enough to suck fuel in but no fuel is coming. I sort of accepted this even though it doesn't happen on my gs500, in fact one particular method of testing the carburettor is to bring the revs up to a few thousand and then shut it down and the engine is supposed to quickly drop back to idle with no wandering.

This is how it behaves on my GS which is a similarly archaic machine. Blipping the throttle on the GS no matter how aggressively will not shut the engine down. So why does it not shut the engine down on the GS but it does on the S40.

I've raised the idle when hot speed to 1300 in order to try and avoid this. Occasionally if I'm not careful the engine will die and I've sort of gotten used to it and it does not happen very often now. This is how it's been since ever.

However yesterday I have discovered that this could in fact be a life threatening problem. I'm about to install some new front brake pads which have lasted a surprisingly long for OEM's 12,000kms this seems to be about double the 4000 miles I've seen reported. Anyhoo so before installing the new pads I thought I'd practice some emergency braking on the old pads so that after the new pads are broken in I can see if there is a difference in emergency braking with better quality pads.

This is when the aforementioned life threatening problem manifested. OK so I'm tooling down the road at a decent speed, not too fast but fast enough to test the stopping power, at about 80 km/h shut the throttle, remain in gear grab a handful of brake and just before I come to a stop I pull the clutch in but the engine dies. This can be problematic if someone is coming up behind me and I need to take off quickly. In fact this is the very reason that we are urged to remain in gear during an emergency brake.

Do other people have this problem? How do you solve it, do you put the idle speed up even higher? Running a 52.5 pilot.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Annoying carburettor behaviour.
Reply #1 - 06/06/17 at 17:56:48

Sauvage,

I think if I had the symptoms that you have I would start looking for intake leaks. Check where the manifold fastens to the engine and inspect the o ring that is used for a gasket and put a bit of lubricant on the o ring before gently tightening the bolts Perhaps I would take the boot off between the engine and carburetor and clean all the mating surfaces and make sure everything is properly seated before tightening the clamps.

Kenny  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/06/17 at 18:00:52

You're not downshifting and working the throttle and brakes together?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 06/06/17 at 18:01:49

OK I'll give that a go, by 'manifold' are you referring to the header pipe and the crush gasket?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 06/06/17 at 18:03:19

Yeah I do that when riding normally but not during an emergency braking procedure.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/17 at 18:00:52:

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/06/17 at 18:04:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/17 at 18:00:52:

If you're still in fourth gear and you're grabbing brakes and the clutch is engaged, You Killed the engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/06/17 at 18:28:41

If I do an emergency stop and grab the brakes and clutch and chop the throttle instantly.....the engine may stall, and often does.

It is a situation that does occur as the engine just isn't getting enough fuel when the needle drops into the jet and the only fuel flow is the Pilot jet.  On your GS with multiple cylinders it just isn't as likely to happen....maybe it has something to do with the engine size vs. the carb size....not sure.

I don't think the Dial a Jet will help if you installed one - as it is on the air filter side of the slide.

Can you get any "pure" gas in your area that doesn't have ethanol mixed in?  That might make the TEV circuit more helpful as the ethanol runs a bit leaner than pure gasoline.  Also make sure your TEV is clean and the diaphragm isn't stiff - as they age the diaprhagm becomes stiff and the TEV doesn't work as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 06/06/17 at 19:19:50

@ Dave, this is Australia, land of Mad Max, non ethanol is everywhere, it's a fuel with ethanol that harder to find! So if you're telling me that this is perfectly normal behaviour I can't argue because I have not ridden that many bikes, but I've never encountered a bike that stalls as easily as this S40. I mean I don't even have to blip the throttle all I have to do is raise the engine speed to about 3000 and then shut the throttle too fast (with the bike in neutral or the clutch in obviously). What I've been trying to practice is trying to shut the throttle quickly but without just snapping it shut instantly, but I'm not having any luck with that.

It's something that I'm constantly reminded of though because here in Queensland cars really like to tailgate so it's something that you have to be always vigilant about. I see heavy trucks all the time sitting on car length behind a car while traveling on a 4 lane motorway at 100kph.

@ Justin, If you're still in fourth gear and you're grabbing brakes and the clutch is engaged, You Killed the engine.

I'm not sure what that means! But to clarify, I don't pull the clutch in till the bike is close to stopping so that I can use the engine braking as well. I just grab the clutch at the last moment so the engine won't stall. This is why this puzzles me, because by the time I hit the clutch the engine is not going fast any longer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/06/17 at 19:25:00

You need to downshift and keep the engine spinning over.
Can you Drive with it in fourth gear and ten MPH on the speedometer?
You're killing the motor with the brake if you don't downshift.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 06/06/17 at 20:10:47

I don't believe you have much engine braking in fourth gear,ie. if you just close the throttle in fourth gear without braking how fast does the bike slow down ?(not very) that's the amount of engine braking you have!You should just pull in the clutch and brake you'll stop faster not fighting the inertia of the motor,( your using the brakes to stop the motor and the bike ,when you need only to stop the bike! the motor will slow by itself, when you use the brake without pulling in the clutch you slow the motor faster than normal, as the piston slows it draws less vacuum ,therefore less fuel through the TEV and the pilot jet and has more of a chance of stalling!)you can be down shifting with the clutch in so if you need to speed up you'll be in the proper gear so you won't be lugging ,your acceleration will be crisp.Even if you stall,if you've down shifted all you need is to hit you starter button and be instantly on your way. I don't thing it's the bike's fault, as much as you driving it funny.I don't know where you got the idea that braking with the motor engaged would allow you to stop faster but it's incorrect.

« Last Edit: 06/06/17 at 21:59:56 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/07/17 at 02:03:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/17 at 19:25:00:
You need to downshift and keep the engine spinning over.
Can you Drive with it in fourth gear and ten MPH on the speedometer?
You're killing the motor with the brake if you don't downshift.

The issue he is having is not with a normal reduction in speed that provides you with the opportunity to shift gears and slow down casually.  His concern is in an "emergency stop".....you are cruising along at 60 mph and you need to stop "NOW"!  So you chop the throttle and pull in the clutch....and apply the brakes as hard as you can. The engine has instantly gone from 4,000 rpm to a closed throttle  (There is no time to downshift while you are  doing everything you can do to stop and avoid locking up a wheel or hitting the deer/car/truck/moose).

Under these conditions, the engine can stall and I don't know anyway to change that condition.  Once the emergency is over you have to hit the starter button and then once the engine re-fires you downshift 3-4 times to get in the correct gear - or you are stopped and you need to rock the bike back and forth while you downshift to 1st gear.

This scenario sometimes happens, and eau de sauvage is doing a really good thing by practicing it - he will know what to expect when it happens for real.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #11 - 06/07/17 at 02:47:31

@Dave, OK you've answered this to my satisfaction, it's just something that I guess I'm going to have to live with. But it's still a worry. Whenever I hit the brakes even under the most innocuous condition I reflexively look in the rear vision mirror first. As you probably might know Adidasguy, Patrick Lajko  who has posted many GS500 youtube video was rear ended and killed while waiting at a stop light. Whether he was well stopped or whether he had just stopped I do not know, but it's something that I've always been wary of.

You're right about the emergency braking, I've seen lots of threads about it but many people seem to not really understand the 'emergency' bit. There's very very fast braking and then there's 'stop now or die' braking, it's the latter I'm referring to. This was drummed into me at a stay upright course over 30 years ago, which I detail in this thread... http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=71318.20

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 06/07/17 at 04:45:42

Mine never stalls when chopping the throttle. Sometimes the revs might sag a little but it doesn't stall.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 06/07/17 at 06:49:00

If your stalling when you chop the throttle closed ,it maybe you need to go to a larger pilot jet ,or check and clean your TEV valve. Many people have posted that they can't get their bikes in 1st gear from being in neutral at a stop,and I've advised that you should never be in neutral for danger of being hit from behind ,and not having the option to instantly move out of harms way.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #14 - 06/07/17 at 13:14:02

Eau, I had the same problem with my bike. Then I read on the forum about the various idle speeds that guys on here set their bikes to - anywhere from 1100rpm - 1500rpm.

I originally had mine set to about 1250, and would experience the problem you described. I upped ithe idle to 1400, and the problem seems to have been resolved.

As a bit of background; when I was tuning the carb (warm engine) I tested the lower threshold of the idle by giving it a bit of throttle and then chopping it, while The bike was stationary and in neutral. The bike would stall if the idle was below 1250. So I took that to be my minimum idle speed. Given the problem with cutting out, on the road, in emergency braking situations, I figured my minimum idle speed needed to be higher to account for that possible scenario.

As I mentioned, so far so good.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:15:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Annoying carburettor behaviour.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.