Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Choke Type (Read 200 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Choke Type
05/31/17 at 18:55:39

I'm reading "Motorcycle Basics Techbook" Haynes, 2nd Ed.

It's telling me that for cold starts "chokes" can either be:
1)"tickling" the float valve to get more fuel in the bowl (only on lawnmowers now)
2) "Cutting off" the Venturi.
3) Or supplying more fuel through a completely separate enrichment circuit.

I'm reading the tech/ref section, but I'm impatient. Can someone tell me which method our choke uses? Thanks. I'm guessing #2.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Choke Type
Reply #1 - 05/31/17 at 19:09:34

Our choke is a separate enrichment circuit.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #2 - 05/31/17 at 19:37:36

Great. Thanks, Steve.

Wondering why I don't see a separate jet/nozzle in the fiche for that circuit. Something like a "starter jet".

Sorry if this is already on the list somewhere. I have skimmed the carb section of tech.ref, but I may have missed it. If someone knows where I can find it, then I wouldn't be offended if a link was provided rather than say what has already been said.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 05/31/17 at 19:40:33

I do see a "transient enrichment valve" though...

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/31/17 at 20:31:09

The Transient Enrichment Valve is on the opposite side of the carburetor from the choke.

I call it the brake pedal side of the bike.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #5 - 05/31/17 at 22:19:00

Yes, sir!

Is that what the choke is opening/closing - the transient enrichment valve?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #6 - 05/31/17 at 22:31:04

Andy,

The TEV has nothing to do with choke, as I understand the TEV allows a little fuel into the system when you turn back the throttle. I clean my TEV regularly because I think it helps reduce after firing. If you clean your TEV obtain new screws before you disassemble and use Never-Seize on the threads for reassembly.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 06/01/17 at 00:00:16

Thanks, Kenny.

Could you offer some insight into what the choke does when pulled out, or what components are involved in the enrichment circuit?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #8 - 06/01/17 at 05:55:21

Andy,

You will have to wait on one of the more knowledgeable people to answer the choke question, that is above my pay grade.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 06/01/17 at 06:37:21

Kenny G wrote on 05/31/17 at 22:31:04:
If you clean your TEV obtain new screws before you disassemble and use Never-Seize on the threads for reassembly.
Kenny G Undecided

...And we recommend getting new stainless allen head screws versus phillips head. Easier to get on and off without stripping.  You can possibly find them locally at an ACE or other good supply store. Dave and I think maybe Lancer have been known to sell complete allen head screw packages for the complete carb, but not sure if they have any kits in stock right now. Maybe they will see this post and advise, or you can check around the marketplace.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/01/17 at 06:43:34

When you pull on the choke......there is a little plunger that moves away from being seated on a passage.  The open hole allows more fuel to flow into the idle circuit....when you apply more throttle the affect of the enrichment becomes less, as the enrichment doesn't add fuel to the main jet circuit.

I couldn't find any photo or diagram that showed it well - you just have to trust me on this one until you tear a carb down and analyze it yourself.   The graph below shows the idle fuel mix screw on the bottom - but on the Savage it is located father up on the side....and this carb does not have the TEV.

cvCarb_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 06/01/17 at 11:09:32

Thanks Dave!

Where did you get the diagram from?

Also, why would there be an air jet AFTER the slide?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/01/17 at 11:17:09

The diagram came from an Google "image" search for a CV carb.

The air jet is not after the slide....you are putting 3 dimensional thinking on a 2 dimensional diagram.  The dashed line is a passage that passes through the casting, and it is not connected to the venturi.  The air jet is in the cavity underneath the diaphragm(18) for the slide, and that space is connected to the large air opening (15) at the top of the carb throat.

The air jet (9) is where the main jet/needle jet gets the air to mix with the fuel, and the jet (16) is where the pilot jet circuit get the air to mix with the fuel.

Both air jets (9) and (16) get filtered air at atmospheric pressure (minus whatever loss might occur as result of the air filter restriction).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #13 - 06/02/17 at 12:01:10

Dave wrote on 06/01/17 at 11:17:09:
The air jet is not after the slide....you are putting 3 dimensional thinking on a 2 dimensional diagram.

Ah, yes! And I'm also confusing the airflow direction - it's from right to left. I see it now. Thanks, Dave!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/02/17 at 19:26:13

Dave said
The diagram came from an Google "image" search for a CV carb.

And I say

Bullshit,, Dave freehanded that while playing three dimensional chess with Spock, and beating him.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:31:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke Type

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.